The Student Room Group

Asian success prove 'white privilege' is a complete myth.

Google has just released ethnic breakdown of its workforce.

59% are white and 35% are Asian. So Google workforce is 94% White and Asian. Considering that Asian Americans are only about 5% of American workforce its quite clear that asians are massively overrepresented.

The myth about White privilege is that white people get unearned status ( comical considering the numerous 'affirmative action' programmes which give special privilege to select minorities ) and that majority society is out to discriminate against people despite their skills.

Obviously this is absurd.

Being half Asian(South east)/White, i see from both sides that Asians deserve their over representation because of their massive superior work ethnics to other races in these fields. But, i also see that white people are an open people who are not holding anyone down.

Western civilisation truly is the closet thing human history has ever seen to a meritocracy.

Tech industry truly is the only industry where only skills matter and this on its own debunks the myth that races are being kept down. Asians are on average per capita better off than average white americans, so if Asians can have success in the West then everyone else can.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3106629/Google-struggles-hire-Asian-white-men-revealed-just-two-cent-workers-Hispanic-three-cent-black.html
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Forgive me if I'm wrong but I've always thought that white privilege was more of a discussion about Black/White people rather than Asians? What are the Black statistics for Google?
Original post by capitalismstinks

59% are white and 35% are Asian. So Google workforce is 94% White and Asian. Considering that Asian Americans are only about 5% of American workforce its quite clear that asians are massively overrepresented.

The myth about White privilege is that white people get unearned status ( comical considering the numerous 'affirmative action' programmes which give special privilege to select minorities ) and that majority society is out to discriminate against people despite their skills.

Being half Asian(South east)/White, i see from both sides that Asians deserve their over representation because of their massive superior work ethnics to other races in these fields. But, i also see that white people are an open people who are not holding anyone down.

Western civilisation truly is the closet thing human history has ever seen to a meritocracy.

Tech industry truly is the only industry where only skills matter and this on its own debunks the myth that races are being kept down. Asians are on average per capita better off than average white americans, so if Asians can have success in the West then everyone else can.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3106629/Google-struggles-hire-Asian-white-men-revealed-just-two-cent-workers-Hispanic-three-cent-black.html

The breakdown by gender should yield more interesting results. Even at Google. The focus should not about ethnicity but gender.
Original post by hothedgehog
Forgive me if I'm wrong but I've always thought that white privilege was more of a discussion about Black/White people rather than Asians? What are the Black statistics for Google?

No, it is not. Anyway, your last question misses OP's point (when it comes to the tech industry - and he is right). However, OP's is also extrapolating a single industry to whole continents (which is obviously an example of poor data interpretation).

No it doesn't. White privilege exists and it isn't just in the workplace :u:
The Daily Mail is not a source. It's just not.

Also, this probably says a lot more about asian-american culture than it does about racial dynamics as a whole. The general consensus is that they're encouraged to achieve highly and pursue STEM careers.

One company employing more a high proportion of asians doesn't debunk a widely understood power structure, unfortunately. :p:
Original post by Aivicore
The Daily Mail is not a source. It's just not.

Also, this probably says a lot more about asian-american culture than it does about racial dynamics as a whole. The general consensus is that they're encouraged to achieve highly and pursue STEM careers.

One company employing more a high proportion of asians doesn't debunk a widely understood power structure, unfortunately. :p:

Asian Americans have higher than average per capita GDP than whites. Lower crime rates. Less likely to be stopped and searched than whites. Higher grades. Of course Asian is a broad term which encapsulates lots of groups. If it was East Asian only I suspect the figures would be even more favourable.

Asian success completely drives a truck through the idea that western society is holding people down because of race.
(edited 8 years ago)
Asian Americans have higher than average per capita GDP than whites. Lower crime rates. Less likely to be stopped and searched than whites. Higher grades. Of course Asian is a broad term which encapsulates lots of groups. If it was East Asian only I suspect the figures would be even more favourable.

Asian success completely drives a truck through the idea that western society is holding people down because of race.

The US stereotype of asians as intelligent, hardworking, somewhat serious folk has the potential to be a positively influencing factor on their employment rates. That doesn't exclude them from facing prejudice in other areas.

I don't have facts or figures to hand, but I strongly suspect the gender divide between Asian-Americans is cause for concern too. This is why privilege is about intersections - One scale does not exist independent of the others.

Also, what about black people, latino people etc.? One non-white race triumphing doesn't erase the oppression of another.
The US stereotype of asians as intelligent, hardworking, somewhat serious folk has the potential to be a positively influencing factor on their employment rates. That doesn't exclude them from facing prejudice in other areas.

I don't have facts or figures to hand, but I strongly suspect the gender divide between Asian-Americans is cause for concern too. This is why privilege is about intersections - One scale does not exist independent of the others.

Also, what about black people, latino people etc.? One non-white race triumphing doesn't erase the oppression of another.

So you are saying Asians are hired because some white people have positive stereotypes? The massive fallacy about this is that white people do not hold every position of power. In Google for example over 25% of its managers are not white.

Asian Americans are on average doing better than white Americans across the board. Not just google but all areas of society. It's not that much difference but the fact that the difference exists comprehensively debunks the myth that the society is actively discriminating against non majorities.

It's bizarre how a white person like yourself would go out of your way to find explanations to put yourself in the worst possible light despite evidence to the contrary.

I suspect you are a Marxist or some sort of sexual minority. Maybe both. And I say this because I recognise the bizarre language of social justice warriors from a mile away.
(edited 8 years ago)

One non-white race triumphing could mean that cultural behaviors are more important than cultural oppression.
Ahh, distract people with issues of 'racial privilege' while we keep them blind to the overbearing effects of 'class privilege'. I must give credit to the Americans, they have been ruthless and brilliant with their divide and rule tactics.
No. Everything about this thread is a big no.
Original post by ckingalt
One non-white race triumphing could mean that cultural behaviors are more important than cultural oppression.

I'm not even going to argue with this because it's a very popular notion, despite being arguably somewhat racist *and* dispelled with a quick Google search.
So you are saying Asians are hired because some white people have positive stereotypes? The massive fallacy about this is that white people do not hold every position of power. In Google for example over 25% of its managers are not white.

Asian Americans are on average doing better than white Americans across the board. Not just google but all areas of society. It's not that much difference but the fact that the difference exists comprehensively debunks the myth that the society is actively discriminating against non majorities.

It's bizarre how a white person like yourself would go out of your way to find explanations to put yourself in the worst possible light despite evidence to the contrary.

I suspect you are a Marxist or some sort of sexual minority. Maybe both. And I say this because I recognise the bizarre language of social justice warriors from a mile away.

For starters... For my entire view to be distorted because the facts weren't in my favour as an individual, I'd have to be an idiot or a pretty selfish person.

Secondly, I'm neither a Marxist nor more than 50% white, but good try!

I'm just gonna leave this link here and I suggest you do some reading around the model minority myth and its usage as a weapon against other non-whites.
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't think the fact that one non-white group is prospering strictly implies that any such group can do so, or "has no excuse" for not doing so. Stereotypes existing for Asians (which in the US chiefly means East Asians) and for black people are quite different. Those for East Asians encourage employability without their being wholly flattering: hardworking, unimaginative, geeky, social non-threat. Those obtaining for black people are very much less helpful at the hiring stage.

What's true as well, and plainly different in kind, is that East Asian success in the US is often the success of a group that has recently jumped through hoops for immigration, you need to be pretty well set-up for a green card, or your parents had to be. Look at the student profiles for doctoral courses in e.g. computing or statistics at Californian universities, half the cohort will be mainland Chinese, and they aren't going back: http://www.pstat.ucsb.edu/graduate/ (scroll down to the Ws, Ys and Zs).

And a part of what is driving East Asian success here is an attitude informed by fear of prejudice and which seeks to preempt or protect against that. Like Jews 50 years ago: you do courses where the answers are right or wrong and go into careers with strict gatekeeping by skillset, because a person can create a compiler or he cannot. Computing and not Communications. Medicine and not Law. We're still not seeing the East Asian domination of Finance, Journalism, or Advertising. This is a partial and ghettoized success story, for all that Palo Alto or Johns Hopkins is a fancypants ghetto.
Indians, Chinese are very hard working!
I'm not even going to argue with this because it's a very popular notion, despite being arguably somewhat racist *and* dispelled with a quick Google search.

Anything can be dispelled with a Google search…especially if you are predisposed to an opinion. As for it being a racist notion, answer these questions:

Which statement makes more sense?

Various ethnic groups, which developed their populations, cultures, and general attitudes separately, are not generally affected by those differences in any way that could potentially make some groups more socially successful than the others.

Various ethnic groups, which developed their populations, cultures, and general attitudes separately, are likely to be generally affected by those differences in many ways that could potentially make some groups more socially successful than the others.

Is a notion racist if it follows a rational progression of thought?
Original post by ckingalt
Anything can be dispelled with a Google search…especially if you are predisposed to an opinion. As for it being a racist notion, answer these questions:

Which statement makes more sense?

Various ethnic groups, which developed their populations, cultures, and general attitudes separately, are not generally affected by those differences in any way that could potentially make some groups more socially successful than the others.

Various ethnic groups, which developed their populations, cultures, and general attitudes separately, are likely to be generally affected by those differences in many ways that could potentially make some groups more socially successful than the others.

Is a notion racist if it follows a rational progression of thought?

Not interested in arguing it, as previously stated. See the link in my other post for the widely accepted sociological theory behind this myth.
"East Asians average higher on IQ tests than Whites, both in the U. S. and in Asia, even though IQ tests were developed for use in the Euro-American culture. Around the world, the average IQ for East Asians centers around 106; for Whites, about 100; and for Blacks about 85 in the U.S. and 70 in sub-Saharan Africa."

http://www.udel.edu/educ/gottfredson/30years/Rushton-Jensen30years.pdf
White privilege has never existed. It's an excuse made up by ghettoized people for their failures in life.

Neither Jews nor Far East Asians are white yet they display a superiority over whites in most fields. Education, they do it well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending