Why do Liberals defend Islam even though it is contrary to Liberalism in every way?

Watch
Catholic_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Everything about Islam is 7th century, and far-right. Yet, 21st Century Western Liberals have began a crusade to belittle, criminalize and verablly attack anybody criticizing the fundamentals of Islam, even calling their opponents 'racist' when Islam is a belief system, which shows how 'educated' they are: They have even moved to apologizing for acts of terrorism and downplaying the incidents, now matter how barbaric the acts of Islamists. Why do they do it??

Sharia Law (Islamic Law) or Political Islam if you wish, couldn't be further from the values and basic rights which Liberals claim they venomously 'stand for'.

No Islamic country in the world is Liberal, far from it. Gay Marriage is banned, Gays and Lesbians are discriminated against in every way, some have even been imprisioned and sentenced to death for their sexuality.

Furthermore, Liberals claim be uphold women's rights yet Islam recognizes no such thing. Women are allowed to marry one man in Islam, men can marry multiple, they have to wear headscarf, men do not, rape is viewed extremely leniently in Islam countries with women themselves being punished by stoning if they're raped. Women cannot even drive in Saudi Arabia.

No freedom of speech either: No criticisms of Islam, a completely fascist trait. People have been imprisoned for speaking out against Islam and even killed.

Lashings for women who commit adultery and people who are intoxicated with alcohol. Jizya Tax: Non-Muslims are forced into 'dhimmitude' and have to pay extra taxes due to not believing in Islam, sounds very fair to me.

The very basis of Liberals and Islam could not be further apart, they're incompatible in every way. Wherever an Islamic majority is, Liberalism is dead.

I used to a Liberal, I still believe in freedom of thought, human rights, upholding traditional values and speaking out against wrong, which is why I am no longer a Liberal.
MindTheGaps
Badges: 17
Report 5 years ago
The Guardian-reading lefties who like to shriek about Islamophobia may call themselves liberals, but they are not and never have been.
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There's nothing liberal about liberals. They seek to oppress, not to free. They seek to control, not to allow independence. They seek to silence, not to permit freedom of speech.

Oppress = With their views
Control = Their interference with people's finances
Silence = Their campaign of tarnishing whoever disagrees with them, especially around immigration and Islam.

First they took over (classical) liberalism, made it a rude word and forced us to retreat to libertarianism, now they are going full speed ahead with going against the mainstream even if the people they are defending stand against their principles. Go criticise the Catholic Church (Ireland), you will be called a progressive and complemented. Go criticise Islam, you will be called a bigot and a racist. Their double standards are awful.

Liberals are employing a "the enemy of my enemy is a friend" tactic when it comes to Islam.
Spoiler:
Show

"Catholicism is oppressing gay rights, Ireland took a good step"Image

"Islam is too radical, we must take steps to prevent young Muslims indulging in horrible views"
*liberal thinks
*liberal fails to come up with a sound argumen
tImage
A Mysterious Lord
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because it's seen as the underdog.
footstool1924
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Catholic_)
Everything about Islam is 7th century, and far-right. Yet, 21st Century Western Liberals have began a crusade to belittle, criminalize and verablly attack anybody criticizing the fundamentals of Islam, even calling their opponents 'racist' when Islam is a belief system, which shows how 'educated' they are: They have even moved to apologizing for acts of terrorism and downplaying the incidents, now matter how barbaric the acts of Islamists. Why do they do it??

Sharia Law (Islamic Law) or Political Islam if you wish, couldn't be further from the values and basic rights which Liberals claim they venomously 'stand for'.

No Islamic country in the world is Liberal, far from it. Gay Marriage is banned, Gays and Lesbians are discriminated against in every way, some have even been imprisioned and sentenced to death for their sexuality.

Furthermore, Liberals claim be uphold women's rights yet Islam recognizes no such thing. Women are allowed to marry one man in Islam, men can marry multiple, they have to wear headscarf, men do not, rape is viewed extremely leniently in Islam countries with women themselves being punished by stoning if they're raped. Women cannot even drive in Saudi Arabia.

No freedom of speech either: No criticisms of Islam, a completely fascist trait. People have been imprisoned for speaking out against Islam and even killed.

Lashings for women who commit adultery and people who are intoxicated with alcohol. Jizya Tax: Non-Muslims are forced into 'dhimmitude' and have to pay extra taxes due to not believing in Islam, sounds very fair to me.

The very basis of Liberals and Islam could not be further apart, they're incompatible in every way. Wherever an Islamic majority is, Liberalism is dead.

I used to a Liberal, I still believe in freedom of thought, human rights, upholding traditional values and speaking out against wrong, which is why I am no longer a Liberal.
You've conflated a lot of aspects in this erroneous ridden post of yours.

Straight off the bat is "Islam and Muslim Countries" - The two are not synonymous.

For example, you may remember that the majority of these Muslim majority countries were colonized and the administration of these colonies and the legal basis for the laws in these colonized countries was either the British, French, Italian or German legal system. As a result of being colonized, the majority of these countries still retain deep roots to the legal system of their colonizers even after they have attained independence.

So you thinking that a Muslim country's legal basis is Shari'ah when it may actually be the British, French or German legal system. There may be strands of Shari'ah entwined within the legal system, but it's a far cry to suggest that the entire legal system is based on Shari'ah.

Therefore, using "Islamic Countries" as an example to demonstrate the "barbarity" of Islamic law is an attempt to conflate the issue.
Jacky Hearts
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If you're talking about ideological Liberals as opposed to the Conservative brand 'everything that I don't like is looney liberal left' then I can offer some explanation. It'll actually help me prepare for my ideologies exam.

Liberalis is underpinned by the principles of freedom and individualism. They base these principles on the idea that all individuals who meet John Stuart Mill's 'Rationality Criterion' are rational individuals who are the best judges of their own decisions. This leads to the idea that individual beliefs and choices should not be restricted and thus develops a Liberal 'tolerance'.

This type of 'Negative Freedom' (freedom from external constraints has exceptions however, as Liberals don't believe in limitless freedom. Liberals use what's called the 'Harm Principle' to differentiate between 'self regarding actions' where the only harm caused by an action is to yourself, and 'other regarding actions' which is the opposite. The latter can be prevented on the grounds that an individual should be free to do anything as long as it dors not damage the freedom of another. Thus Liberal's advocate the maximum possible freedom under law, which is consistent with what John Locke identified as a 'like liberty for all'.

In the context of Islam this means, as long as you don't harm anyone else's freedom with your beliefs then that's fine. Liberals actually believe that pluralism is healthy in society because it leads to debate which promotes the 'free market ideas' and allows for the healthier progression of society.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (22)
17.32%
I'm not sure (3)
2.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (41)
32.28%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.36%
I'm not a current university student (58)
45.67%

Watched Threads