Mentioning two gap years in personal statement

Watch
evan241
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I had a question about how I should mention gap years in my personal statement. I am taking two gap years, and will be applying this fall for deferred (2017) entry during my first gap year.

For my first gap year, I am studying abroad on a scholarship program, and I am dedicating an entire paragraph to this because it is very relevant to the course I'm applying to. For the second gap year, I intend to work abroad, but my plans are fairly vague considering this is over a year away (I intend to work either as an au pair or in a hostel/hotel in Brazil/Latin America or Turkey - quite vague plans). Thus, will it be sufficient to mention my second gap year in my personal statement by saying something like "I am taking a second gap year in order to work and earn money to use towards university costs"? Will universities wonder why I haven't given more detail about this second gap year, or wonder why I'm taking two gap years in the first place?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
The sentence you suggest is fine. If you don't have firm plans (and this far ahead it is difficult to be certain) then be honest about that. Give the reasons you want to take tge extra gap year but don't make up specifics if you don't know them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads