How to lose with a quiet dignity? Watch

mansuetum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello! I am in a competition this weekend. And while I am going to do my absolute best to win. It is likely that I will be defeated and most likely in a very conclusive way. Is there anyway that I can leave with my head held high or such. Like shake my opponents hand or clap when they are announced as the winner? I will fully accept defeat, however I would like to if it is possible retain my dignity.
TorpidPhil
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's never anything wrong with losing so long as you learn and have the opportunity to make use of that lesson. What competition is it?
mansuetum
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by TorpidPhil)
There's never anything wrong with losing so long as you learn and have the opportunity to make use of that lesson. What competition is it?
Hello, thank you for the great advice! It is a mixed martial arts contest. You win by either pinfall, submission or knockout. I will never submit and I will kickout of the pinfall each time, so it is likely that my opponent will be victorious by knock-out. So, probably I will be unconscious when it is over. That does not bother me in the slightest but the one thing I would like to do is find my opponent after the match and shake their hand.
Swanbow
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Shake your opponents hand, and be gracious in defeat. Admit where you went wrong, and praise him where he went right. Learn the lessons from the defeat and next time win.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you refuse to submit you could end up with a broken limb, which will take you out of the sport for at least 6 months. Plus you'll still lose.
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You must have more dignity than these things:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/atta...6&d=1417000032
TorpidPhil
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mansuetum)
Hello, thank you for the great advice! It is a mixed martial arts contest. You win by either pinfall, submission or knockout. I will never submit and I will kickout of the pinfall each time, so it is likely that my opponent will be victorious by knock-out. So, probably I will be unconscious when it is over. That does not bother me in the slightest but the one thing I would like to do is find my opponent after the match and shake their hand.
That's a ridiculous attitude to take in. I do MMA myself, do you want to end up with a dislocated shoulder, broken ankle, broken wrist, broken neck? Not very smart... In nearly all those cases you are going to lose the fight regardless but now you've put yourself out of being able to train properly for at least 6months, maybe 18months or more depending on what you injure... There's just no point to it, it's silly. Miesha Tate's refusal to submit to an armbar of Ronda Rousey comes to mind... But at least she had years of bloody hype and feuding to go off of, do you even know the guy you're going to be fighting?

Usually you have an opportunity to shake their hand right after the victor is announced and so you should, right there in the cage, not hidden off in some back-room where nobody can see it. There's no shame in losing to a more skilled opponent unless you are terribly unskilled yourself, in which case you shouldn't be in the cage anyway.

Also the "I'll never submit" attitude is pretty weird. You dislocated your shoulder joint mid-fight before when sparring? I doubt you'de go on fighting. ****ing hell, people get incapacitated and red-faced from bloody wrist-locks.
Daenerys...
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You gotta be kidding me. There's no dignity in being K.O'd just submit when you know he's about to K.O you out or when you don't have any more fight left in you.
ChickenMadness
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
just congratulate them on a job well done lol. Losing is good. You don't learn from winning.
JoshDawg
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Say hi and good luck etc before you start, some etiquette of some sort, then if you get KO'd and can't thank them then at least you showed them some respect before you started.
Man.bear.pig
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello! I am in a competition this weekend. And while I am going to do my absolute best to win. It is likely that I will be defeated and most likely in a very conclusive way. Is there anyway that I can leave with my head held high or such. Like shake my opponents hand or clap when they are announced as the winner? I will fully accept defeat, however I would like to if it is possible retain my dignity.
You apparently need some classic martial arts training, because they never think like this. Damn that MMA. *shakes fist like an old man*

Oh ****, top job, mate. I wanna do judo. Fight me? :cool:

Anyway, find them to shake their hand? Weird lol
Just get up and shake their hand there, normally they dap each other and pull each other with one hand and quickly tap each other on the back and walk off...

Idk this is weird lol.
ladybec
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes, shake hands with the victor, it's good sportsmanship. Congratulate them on their achievement, and join in with clapping for them. There's dignity in defeat if you do it right.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (362)
59.25%
Yes- I don't like it (33)
5.4%
No- I want it (172)
28.15%
No- I don't want it (44)
7.2%

Watched Threads