The Student Room Group

Is it important to spend a lot of money on your partner?

Often, couples think it's nice to spend lots of money on each other to express their feelings towards each other. But really, is it important that you spend a lot of money on your other half?

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, I generally spend as little as possible. (If you're reading this hunny I'm just joking ok?)
You don't have to spend loads of money on me, just write me love songs on piano please

Posted from TSR Mobile
NO.
Just spending money to show "love" is like the laziest way to express it.
Reply 4
No, time is more important than money- it's the memories and photos that matter.
Meals out together are lovely but don't spend more than you can afford, share the bill.
Objects are nice to receive and give but it shouldn't be something you feel you have to do.
Original post by Jeanlucpicard
Often, couples think it's nice to spend lots of money on each other to express their feelings towards each other. But really, is it important that you spend a lot of money on your other half?

What do you think?

spending good quality time with each other is much more important than money.
Reply 6
I agree that time is more important that material gifts. Sometimes its nice to buy things or pay for things for your partner but it should be two way, and consider whether you can afford it. I can't afford to buy my girlfriend a present for our anniversary next month, but she's in the same position, so we're gonna split the cost of a pizza and enjoy our time together.
I'd would (hypothetically speaking of course) be giving time anyway, but I'd insist on paying for meals / social things like the cinema. Do I think it's important though? Well if it's being spent on me then no, if I'm spending it then probably no. Money being spent on each other shouldn't be a major factor that holds a relationship together.
Yes it is important but it depends on what you view as 'a lot'
No. I'd rather have your time and company.
In a list of things that are important in a relationship, I'd put it way down near the bottom. Waaaaay down.

Me and the missus almost never buy stuff for each other. On our birthdays we usually go somewhere for dinner or a day out, something like that, and on our anniversary I usually buy her some flowers. That's about as extravagant as it gets.
Nah I wouldn't say its important. My bf has bought me both expensive and cheap stuff and I wouldn't say its made our relationship any stronger. There's must bigger and important things to a relationship than how much money you spend on each other. I'd be happy with my bf buying me a chippy every so often :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
No I don't think spending a lot of money on each other is important. Treats every now and then are lovely but not to be expected. Even on my birthday and christmas and occasions like that I don't really want lots of money spent on me - it's the thought that counts, not the price tag.

:^_^:
(edited 8 years ago)
If my partner/spouse has enough spare money I expect gifts to be expensive (within reason of course) because I'd always spend a lot of money on gifts.

As for the people who are saying it's better to give your time, why can't you give both?
Nope. If you love each other all you need is each other's company to be happy :smile:
I have a habit of spending excessive amounts for birthdays/christmas as I like to feel that I am spoiling them for special occasions :P
no, ppl that do this are quite sad tbh.
I subscribe to the philosophy that a woman who can be bought is not a woman worth having, to quote a character from a trashy tv adaptation of a Marvel comic. (The villain is ace though.)
Original post by Daenerys...
If my partner/spouse has enough spare money I expect gifts to be expensive (within reason of course) because I'd always spend a lot of money on gifts.

As for the people who are saying it's better to give your time, why can't you give both?

How expensive are we talking?

Would you buy them a PS4, if they really wanted it?
To answer the fred, nah I don't think it's important to spend a lot of money on my partner. I don't really see the point in spending a lot of money on anything, for the sake of it. My partner understands that I have too many outgoings to even spend any more than £20-30 for Birthday/Christmas anyways.

My motto is as follows:

Spoiler

(Just bought a PS4 for £275 which I won't get to touch til Dec '15 top lel)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending