The Student Room Group

MSc Nutrition: Surrey or UCL?

Hello everyone!

I'm a EU student looking to start my MSc in the UK this September. I have a Bachelor's degree in Nutritional Science and a Pg diploma in Clinical Nutrition (both of them in Portugal).
I already got two conditional offers: MSc Human Nutrition in the University of Surrey and MSc in Clinical and Public Health Nutrition in the University College London. I'm awaiting my score on my English exam, so I can fulfill my condition, but I'm also undecided... which one should I choose?

University of Surrey is higher in the UK ranks, the tuition is much cheaper and I have guaranteed accommodation on campus.
UCL is higher on the global rank, part of the Golden Triangle and it's in London, but it's more expensive and I'll probably have to find accommodation on my own.

After my MSc, I'd like to keep on doing research and I want to get a Phd... So, what do you think would be my best option?

Thanks a lot!
Don't get bogged down with this whole ranking thing. No idea where Manchester met is in the rankings but I can't speak highly enough of their nutrition course.
Reply 2
Yeah, I guess that, since I'm not from the UK and I don't have too much "inside knowledge", rankings are the easiest information to find online. But I've also heard (well, read, actually) really good things about the nutrition/food science department in Surrey.
Original post by Pyxel
Yeah, I guess that, since I'm not from the UK and I don't have too much "inside knowledge", rankings are the easiest information to find online. But I've also heard (well, read, actually) really good things about the nutrition/food science department in Surrey.

Are you honestly turning down UCL for Surrey?
Reply 4
Original post by Da Di Doo
Are you honestly turning down UCL for Surrey?

I haven't decided anything yet.
I was actually asking for people's opinions because I don't think I have enough knowledge to make a well informed decision. As I said, UCL is much more expensive and it will make my life harder (accommodation, for example), so I'd like to know if it's really worth it and why.
Reply 5
UCL is just rubbish which drives me crazy I hate it at all the expensive tutition fees, the tutors without responsibility at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what I learnt at all in this year I felt like it's just a waste of money. They lay on their loyalty and just wanna earn students' money.

Anyway dont choose UCL
Original post by Wedi
UCL is just rubbish which drives me crazy I hate it at all the expensive tutition fees, the tutors without responsibility at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I dont know what I learnt at all in this year I felt like it's just a waste of money. They lay on their loyalty and just wanna earn students' money.

Anyway dont choose UCL

4 years too late.
Reply 7
Original post by Wedi

Anyway dont choose UCL

Sorry maybe this comment is just too fierce but I really feel disappointed with the tutors in UCL MSc Clincial and Public Health... my project is just self-directed not supervisor-directed. Just my feeling they dont pay much attention on their teaching and their students. Also this structure of this programme is also very very messy always have some repetitive lessons. Anyway maybe they just focus on their research.
Reply 8
Original post by Aaryra
4 years too late.

Hhahahahah hope you are doing well now!! I just feel too angry about this programme now hahah I wanna say anything on the Internet, hope in the future the student will not choose this programme.
Original post by Wedi
Hhahahahah hope you are doing well now!! I just feel too angry about this programme now hahah I wanna say anything on the Internet, hope in the future the student will not choose this programme.

?? I’m not the OP?
Reply 10
Original post by Aaryra
?? I’m not the OP?

All right then,,,, hope you are doing well as well
Reply 11
Original post by Wedi
All right then,,,, hope you are doing well as well

Is it the voices again :h:
Original post by Bazyli
Is it the voices again :h:

Hello all,

How are you?

I noticed your thread about choosing nutrition programmes at postgraduate level in the UK. We offer an online programme at Aberdeen for anyone who is interested in studying without the need to travel. There is an MSc in Clinical Nutrition which is delivered by the Rowett Institute. We also offer online taster courses, one of which is free and some postgraduate online short courses covering a range of nutrition areas. Some food for thought!

Good luck, wherever you decide to study!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending