A Level Psychology AQA Unit 4 - Media Watch

radiaj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Does anybody how to answer the 10 mark scenario based questions?

For example:
Eleven year-old Matt often watches 18 certificate films with his older brothers. He invites his friend John round to play and they watch a violent film together. John isn’t allowed to watch violent films at home and he finds some of the scenes frightening. John’s heart races and he feels sick. Matt
isn’t upset at all by the film and finds the violent scenes amusing. Teachers have noticed that Matt sometimes gets into fights in the playground but John avoids fights. Using your knowledge of explanations of media influences on anti-social behaviour,
Explain the different behaviours shown by Matt and John.

Would I have to use AO1 or AO2 research and how do I structure it?
Raeshan
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by radiaj)

For example:
Eleven year-old Matt often watches 18 certificate films with his older brothers. He invites his friend John round to play and they watch a violent film together. John isn’t allowed to watch violent films at home and he finds some of the scenes frightening. John’s heart races and he feels sick. Matt
isn’t upset at all by the film and finds the violent scenes amusing. Teachers have noticed that Matt sometimes gets into fights in the playground but John avoids fights. Using your knowledge of explanations of media influences on anti-social behaviour,

What I always do is outline theories that would explain the difference between the two behaviours, eg the desensitisation theory and the debating the effects theory. I don't go into huge detail, like I don't outline studies or anything, just the main point of the theories. So like John shows high psychological arousal when watching the movies because he isn't usually allowed to watch them and therefore isn't desensitised to what takes place in the movies, whereas Matt is, hence the lowered psychological arousal. Then explain Matt's replication of the violent behaviour at school using the debating the effects theory.
I don't usually evaluate - I don't think you need to per say, but you probably can.
maisie__x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by radiaj)

For example:

I just looked at this question and there at 10 marks which aren't split (i.e the question doesn't say 4+6, it's just 10) Therefore all the marks are for A02 and you wouldn't get any credit for random statements about emotional desensitization. The things you get credit for are applying your knowledge to the facts given to you, for example;

'Matt watches violent films all the time and so emotional desensitization explains why he isn't upset by violent scenes anymore, he has come to view this type of behaviour as normal and any shock factor has been eliminated.

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (35)
14.06%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.43%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (51)
20.48%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (37)
14.86%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (31)
12.45%
How can I be the best version of myself? (74)
29.72%

Watched Threads