European Under 21 Championships thread

Watch
mccrae01
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
So it's not quite the World Cup but this year's Under 21 Championships is probably the best football action we're going to get once the Champions League is done and dusted - the European U21 Championships, being held in Prague between 15 - 30 June

Groups
Spoiler:
Show
Group A - Czech Republic, Denmark , Serbia, Germany
Group B - England, Italy, Portugal , Sweden

The teams have the added incentive of a place in the Olympics if they make the semi finals - although this doesn't apply to England

For once, England seem to have named a decent team and could actually do ok for once . Believe it or not , we're actually top seeds along with the hosts ( the Czech republic). It'll be interesting to see if any of the lesser known players in the squad can make the jump into the senior squad next season in the same way Harry Kane has done so far this season ( before fading again into obscurity ..

This thread is for discussing the tournament that should at least keep us going for a little while until the return of the PL in August

England squad :
Spoiler:
Show
Goalkeepers: Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City)Defenders: Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Carl Jenkinson (Arsenal), Michael Keane (Burnley), Liam Moore (Leicester City), John Stones (Everton), Matt Targett (Southampton)Midfielders: Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)Forwards: Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Danny Ings (Burnley), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur)
atom y humber
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Last time England had a great chance, they finished bottom in a group with Israel and Norway scoring just a single penalty.

But hey, they did score a 30+ consecutive pass against Germany this time around.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Best memory of the Under-21s competition is that mammoth penalty shoot-out which saw England get knocked out back in 2007 I think it was. Great entertainment.
tengentoppa
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Between this and the Copa America there should be enough football to keep me going over this summer. I expect Ward-Prowse to have a good tournament, but I'm disappointed players like Barkley, Wilshere and Sterling aren't there. Game time and international experience would have done them no harm.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The smart money will rightfully be on Germany. ter Stegen, Volland, Meyer, Ginter, Gunter, Can etc.
username917703
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I really hate how petty the home nations can be. It was quite good having a British football team at the last Olympics but the FAs of each can't agree this time around so we won't be having one in Rio. A shame.

Copa America will be better than this though Uruguay are without Luis Suarez. Hoping for a Uruguay or Argentina win.

I'll watch the u21s until England are knocked out and then I won't give a ****.

The women's World Cup is on too, jokes aside will anyone be watching? I think I'll give it a chance to be honest. Got to support the English ladies :cool:
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah. I like to think I'm really left-wing and liberal, too, but when it comes on the TV I just get really bored. Sorry, feminists. Don't h8 me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (184)
14.29%
I'm not sure (59)
4.58%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (379)
29.43%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.87%
I'm not a current university student (629)
48.84%

Watched Threads