What is the best university for animation/ visual development artist Watch

princessg17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello!
I have just finished my AS levels, and I am now moving on to A2 so I need to start considering universities and what courses I want to do. My dream is to become a visual development artist for Disney animation studios (which I know is a very extreme and unrealistic career choice). I was considering going to calarts to study animation, but its too expensive and I can't go overseas, so I was wondering, is there are UK equivalent of cal arts? Apparently its the only way to get into a proper career in animation, is this true? What is the best university to study to get into the field of animation, and which will lead you into visual development/ concept art work? I heard Bournemouth is good but I don't like the area, preferably somewhere around London would be good, but I don't really mind.

Another question I have is does having graphics as an A level benefit in getting into an animation course? The only art subjects I study are art and textiles so I was wondering if maybe I should take it up as an AS, or is it not important?

Thank you very much for reading this, some suggestions would be very helpful
GemmaJewell2
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princessg17)
Hello!
I have just finished my AS levels, and I am now moving on to A2 so I need to start considering universities and what courses I want to do. My dream is to become a visual development artist for Disney animation studios (which I know is a very extreme and unrealistic career choice). I was considering going to calarts to study animation, but its too expensive and I can't go overseas, so I was wondering, is there are UK equivalent of cal arts? Apparently its the only way to get into a proper career in animation, is this true? What is the best university to study to get into the field of animation, and which will lead you into visual development/ concept art work? I heard Bournemouth is good but I don't like the area, preferably somewhere around London would be good, but I don't really mind.

Another question I have is does having graphics as an A level benefit in getting into an animation course? The only art subjects I study are art and textiles so I was wondering if maybe I should take it up as an AS, or is it not important?

Hi Princessg17,

I know you said you dislike the area, but I would recommend Bournemouth highly for animation as it's one of the best courses in the country. It is delivered by the national centre for computer animations and students have previously worked on films like Inception, Avatar and Gravity and most recently Interstellar. The course has also been praised in parliament by David Cameron.

If you don't mind me asking, what is it about Bournemouth area you dislike? Before coming to university, I thought I would be more a city girl but actually being here I love being in a seaside town!

Gemma
brit53
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by princessg17)
Hello!

Hi there! You may want to take a look at Escape Studios, which is part of Pearson College London. Some of the visual effects they have produced are phenomenal! I study Business on the PCL side of things, but I can testify to the entire organisations high calibre. You'll be working as part of the only organisation that's part of a FTSE-100 company. A core feature of PCL and Escape Studios is the industry days, we meet some remarkable professionals who are at the top of their careers, respective of the industry.

I don't know if you already live in London, but if not and you're looking for somewhere to stay, i'd take a look at Prodigy Living. I live comfortably in the Tufnell Park branch, though they have houses across London which may be more appropriate for studying at Escape.

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your A2 studies
LisieMae
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi there princessg17- I'm Lisa

I'm in the same position as you, just finishing my first year at college (I'm taking a BTEC Diploma in Art and Design alongside an A-level in Philosophy). I hope all of your exams went well and its nice to hear that I'm not the only one with un-realistic career choices. Working for Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks has been a dream of mine since I was a young girl *fistbumps* Funnily enough, I also looked into CalArts and oh boy what a dream.. but... money that I don't have.

You're right in thinking Bournemouth is the best animation course in the country. In fact, I would go as far as to say that there is hardly a point in looking at other options (although I hear Teeside and Hertfordshire are also good). As you probably know, a career in animation requires insane 'industry links', and recruitment at Bournemouth Uni is the most viable option. As its part of the NCCA (National Centre for Computer Animation), you really cannot strike closer to home As you might be able to tell, I have my little heart set on Bournemouth so extreme bias may be coming across However Hertfordshire University also offer brilliant animation courses, and (as requested) it only takes 30 minutes tops to get into London by train! It also has one of the best reputations for Animation in the country So it is well worth checking out

I would say that having graphics would be a good option- particularly if you are veering into the 'visual development' side of Animation. The skills you learn through a subject like graphics would very much benefit you/give you a head start. However I think it is not essential. It might be more worth your time investing in an Adobe package and teach yourself. The amount of brilliantly educational videos on youtube really helps out Also do keep in mind that very often, the universities are not looking for somebody who has all the skills already- they focus on potential. I would recommend trying to sign up to life drawing classes locally (I know that Animation Courses are very big on this) ! It might be more worth your time just homing in on some personal projects- i.e. carry a sketchbook with you everywhere you go, try and come up with story boards. Not taking the extra A Level will give you time to breathe, get inspired and creative. At least that's what I found through taking a Diploma (the notoriously 'lazy mans' course).

Anyway sorry for rambling on, I know that I'm not a professional career adviser so apologies for my somewhat crazy reply ! Keep in contact if you're up for it, I'd love to know how your application process/ portfolio is going- defo nice to know I'm not alone in this one Hope all is well!
Scooby_Snacc54
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I was just wondering if you got the job
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
66.29%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed