The Student Room Group

Process with just missed grades on results day

Hello,

I have Nottingham as my firm offer, and Manchester as my insurance . Required grade for Nottingham is an A in Maths, required for Manchester is a B ( already hold A*A*)

I don't want to go to Manchester , and would rather go to Nottingham even for a different course such as Industrial Economics. Having spoken to Nottingham , I would be " extremely likely " to be accepted by them for this with a B , which I am fairly sure I will end up getting .

On results day , with a B , would I be declined from Nottingham on UCAS, and have to ring them up to offer me a place for Industrial Economics / ask about L100 Economics , whilst also having to ask Manchester to release me , or would UCAS say that the offer from Nottingham is still " conditional ", hence I could ring up and not have to ring Manchester to release me ?

Assuming that I'm not accepted with a B without having to ring Notts/ don't get an A!

Thanks
Original post by JackRTBlake
Hello,

I have Nottingham as my firm offer, and Manchester as my insurance . Required grade for Nottingham is an A in Maths, required for Manchester is a B ( already hold A*A*)

I don't want to go to Manchester , and would rather go to Nottingham even for a different course such as Industrial Economics. Having spoken to Nottingham , I would be " extremely likely " to be accepted by them for this with a B , which I am fairly sure I will end up getting .

On results day , with a B , would I be declined from Nottingham on UCAS, and have to ring them up to offer me a place for Industrial Economics / ask about L100 Economics , whilst also having to ask Manchester to release me , or would UCAS say that the offer from Nottingham is still " conditional ", hence I could ring up and not have to ring Manchester to release me ?

Assuming that I'm not accepted with a B without having to ring Notts/ don't get an A!

Thanks

Universities get your results the weekend before you do. If on the day, Nottingham have rejected you and not offered you an alternative course, then it's game over with them, and you will be either in Manchester or in Clearing.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Universities get your results the weekend before you do. If on the day, Nottingham have rejected you and not offered you an alternative course, then it's game over with them, and you will be either in Manchester or in Clearing.

Thanks .

So to answer the original Q , yes , if I just miss the grades it'll display " conditional " on results day , or might display an offer for a different course , having been rejected from economics ?
Thanks .

So to answer the original Q , yes , if I just miss the grades it'll display " conditional " on results day , or might display an offer for a different course , having been rejected from economics ?

If they haven't made up their mind, it'll say conditional. If they have decided, it'll either say that they have taken you, rejected you or offered you an alternative course.
I think you can ring them with slightly lower grades and basically beg them to let you in :lol:

I don't want to go to Manchester

Then you should get the Manchester offer cancelled in advance of the results being announced (before the UCAS system is locked down a week or two before results day). After results day you could take quite a time to get into clearing; time in which the other Nottingham course could become filled. You may be able to discuss your way to an alternative offer from Nottingham in advance, but this won't say much that is positive about your determination to study the original subject.
Same firm and insurance lol
I think it is largely dependent on luck but call just in case to be sure. You never know.
You could just accept industrial economics, that’s what i’ve firmed at Nottingham. You’d definitely be offered it, because its quite undersubscribed.. people don’t really know about it, only Nottingham offers it, so its been one of the clearing options there for the last 4 years. Its actually a really highly recommended course, a lot of firms think its more academic that economics, or that its like a ‘speciality degree’ which gives you a competitive edge or whatever you want to call it. My sister studies it and loves it, and all her friends say its an amazing course. Its also probably less mathematics based than economics which might be a good thing for you, because they don’t specify that they want you to get an A in it. Oh and you’re the first person I’ve found who even might potentially be taking the course so yeah haha (take it take it take it..)
Reply 9
Original post by Good bloke
Then you should get the Manchester offer cancelled in advance of the results being announced (before the UCAS system is locked down a week or two before results day). After results day you could take quite a time to get into clearing; time in which the other Nottingham course could become filled. You may be able to discuss your way to an alternative offer from Nottingham in advance, but this won't say much that is positive about your determination to study the original subject.

I've already spoken to Nottingham stating that I'm paranoid about getting a B , but want to study Economics.
Reply 10
Original post by Danny the Geezer
I think you can ring them with slightly lower grades and basically beg them to let you in :lol:

You've missed the entire point of the thread , but yes haha
You've missed the entire point of the thread , but yes haha

I did? Oh soz. :p:
Reply 12
Original post by jasminekatie
You could just accept industrial economics, that’s what i’ve firmed at Nottingham. You’d definitely be offered it, because its quite undersubscribed.. people don’t really know about it, only Nottingham offers it, so its been one of the clearing options there for the last 4 years. Its actually a really highly recommended course, a lot of firms think its more academic that economics, or that its like a ‘speciality degree’ which gives you a competitive edge or whatever you want to call it. My sister studies it and loves it, and all her friends say its an amazing course. Its also probably less mathematics based than economics which might be a good thing for you, because they don’t specify that they want you to get an A in it. Oh and you’re the first person I’ve found who even might potentially be taking the course so yeah haha (take it take it take it..)

I wouldn't mind doing it if push came to shove. I've heard from friends from Nottingham that is isn't as ' hard ' as L100 economics , which would make sense given its an AAB offer as opposed to A*AA . though given that, as you say , it's not a particularly known degree I doubt it'd be particularly advantageous when applying to financial services firms . Having said that , I know an industrial econ grad from Notts who is a 2ND year analyst at Goldman FO, amongst others , so :smile:

Much of the reason I chose Nottingham for Economics, over offers from Bath & Warwick , was the flexibility , being able to take a BA or a BSC depending on how I found the maths . Whilst Industrial Economics looks great from the modules available , the flexibility is the main reason I want to do L100 ahead of it .

I might end up seeing you in September though , did you choose accommodation in Jubilee Campus ?
Reply 13
Original post by RhymeAsylumForever
Same firm and insurance lol

my man
Reply 14
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
If they haven't made up their mind, it'll say conditional. If they have decided, it'll either say that they have taken you, rejected you or offered you an alternative course.

Thanks again for your reply . Would there be scope to ring up and enquire about a different course to the one offered ( EG if I get offered Economics and Philosophy but would rather Industrial Economics ) ?
I wouldn't mind doing it if push came to shove. I've heard from friends from Nottingham that is isn't as ' hard ' as L100 economics , which would make sense given its an AAB offer as opposed to A*AA . though given that, as you say , it's not a particularly known degree I doubt it'd be particularly advantageous when applying to financial services firms . Having said that , I know an industrial econ grad from Notts who is a 2ND year analyst at Goldman FO, amongst others , so :smile:

Much of the reason I chose Nottingham for Economics, over offers from Bath & Warwick , was the flexibility , being able to take a BA or a BSC depending on how I found the maths . Whilst Industrial Economics looks great from the modules available , the flexibility is the main reason I want to do L100 ahead of it .

I might end up seeing you in September though , did you choose accommodation in Jubilee Campus ?

Makes sense, the main reason i chose it was because i wanted to do something economics based but i stupidly never did it for A levels so i thought industrial economics was safer.

My accommodation’s on the main university park campus; apparently the social life’s better in the main campus because jubilee is where a lot of the international students live who tend to just study 24/7 even in first year. My sisters actually doing the same course so i’m just taking her word for it.
Thanks again for your reply . Would there be scope to ring up and enquire about a different course to the one offered ( EG if I get offered Economics and Philosophy but would rather Industrial Economics ) ?

You might as well - if they have offered you an alternative course with economics in it, then they are interested in you as an economics student of some kind.
Original post by Danny the Geezer

It's only worth ringing if track says your offer is conditional still. And even then it's to find out if they've made a decision yet and if not when they expect to let you know.

The flowchart in my sig explains what to do in each situation.

If they make you an alternate offerwhich isn't quute what you want then yes ring them. They might have no flexibility or they might have a lot. If they already know your preferences then usually that will be taken into consideration.

Worst comes to the worst - if you don't want the alternate course then you can decline it and be passed to your insurance/clearing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending