What is your opinion about Evanescence?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Xpander
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 16 years ago
Evanescence is a new band to most people, yet their song bring me to life from their new album fallen stayed number one in uk charts for many weeks. I personally love their music, because of they combine rock music with female vocals(Amy Lee). All songs of their album fallen are great.
What is your opinion about them?
dusty
Report 16 years ago
So do you like Hole too, they did the whole rock with a female lead years back, it's not exactly new, Garbage did it well too.

Evanescence are ok, I've got 4 of their songs, prolly not enough to judge by, but they all sound the same already from such a small selection. They've got a nice sound, although a little too predicatable in places.
Vin
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
They're okay.

I think Evanescence is a one hit wonder though, unless they prove me wrong in their following album. Also, I only like Bring Me To Life and Everybody's Fool - i.e. the songs in the rock genre only. If perhaps they stuck to rock as a whole instead of creating a mix between soft music and anthem-like rock, I'll get to like their music more.
Nylex
Badges:
Report 16 years ago
Don't like them myself.
AllergicToFairydust
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
*Bring me to life in background - extremely loud*

They're great!
Xpander
Vin, have you heard "taking over me"?(no. 8 in fallen). It is a rock piece that I think you will like.

Anyone saw the video of Bring me to Life? It is absolutely great.
Also Whisper(no. 11 from fallen), is quite a great rock song.
Who else like Evansescence?
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
Angry young Americans from the suberbs........pretty sure that describes them and every other trash band that the states has produced in the last 10 years.

If anyone disagrees then please feel free to post a list of any American "rock band" that:

(a) Genuinely Have Something To Say.
(b) Are Not A Puppet For A Record Company.
(c) Are Not Fake Self-Obssesed Morons.

(there are some bands that could be included but not many).
Xpander
And I don't believe evanescence is one hit wonder. It is just that not all of their songs are so popular like bring me to life. However if you hear more of their songs, you will realise that they produce very good music.
lou p lou
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i think they rock! i absalutely love them + you can listen to them in differnt situations, really quiet when you're working or loud when you want something...loud.

the video to bring me to life is great as well.
Toyosi
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I think they're great! And they are not really angry young Americans. I heard they met at Christian camp. You can hear their religious side in 'Tourniquet' ( don't know what number that is on the album). Its a really good song and the fact that they aren't just a typical rock band in any sense, has impressed me.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Can someone please tell me why they sould be considered anything other than an ordinary "rock band"???

How can people rate such poor music (opinion not fact - so don't both pointing that out as I am aware of it) when there are so many bands out there who actually deserve to be acknowledged and aren't.
Xpander
It is true that there are many bands out there who actually deserve to be acknowledged and aren't as Leekey said, but Evanescence is one of these that made it to the top after a hard work producing great music. I also believe that these new groups should be acknowledged or at least respected and supported to continue producing good work.
It is also true as Toyosi said that their are christians as Ben Moody, a member of the bend, writes in the album inlay that his rest of life is dedicated to Jesus.
Leekey, have you really heard any of their songs? And why do you judge their music as poor? So what do you consider quality music?
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Yes I have heard their album (unfortunately for me). I thought that "Bring Me To Life" was not particularly impressive and could be described as average at best. Track 9 (I think it was called "Hello") seems to be a blatant rip off of a Tori Amos song (can't remember the name of it but someone must know it). There was one song which sounded like they had heard Gary Numan and decided that it would be a good idea to copy from him and make it slightly lighter. Tourniquet was the only sonmg which I felt deserved any real credit, the woman's voice sounded very good and it really kind of saved what otherwise was a (in my opinion) poor album.

The reason I judge their music as poor is that I feel that music like any other form of self expression sould say something to the listener. The only thing I heard while listening to their album was the sound of my brain switching off.

My prefered bands are:

The Manics
Radiohead
The Phonics
Xpander
Evanescence produce their own songs, this is for sure. It may be a coincidence that one or two of their songs are similar with other. I think that almost all of their songs say something to the listener, especially "my immortal"(track 4), that speaks of love, courage and faith. My personal opinion is that a particular song doesn't need to say something to you necessarily but to make you feel good, relux and enjoy the music.
The Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Leekey
Angry young Americans from the suberbs........pretty sure that describes them and every other trash band that the states has produced in the last 10 years.

If anyone disagrees then please feel free to post a list of any American "rock band" that:

Yes you're right there I totally agree! Nearly all 'rock' music to come out post-Nirvana is a load of crap! Nirvana hated the commercial stuff and all the bands around at the moment are grunge-era commercial spin-offs! Kurt will be turning in his grave! They try to portray the image of non-mainstream but really they are nothing more than the Aerosmiths and Def Lepords of 2000!

Load of crap! I thought the grunge movement would spawn some interesting good bands and change the face of music. But sadly its done the opposite, it has spawned the likes of Nickleback, Blink 182, Limp bizkit and all them sort of **** bands that are just playing the same tired old unoriginal *******s. These aren't cool, original and creative new sounds they suck ass! They are just rehashing grunge music or try to fuse it with hip hop etc!

It's lazy, and they are all a bunch of grunge era rip-off merchants, who are ****ing it up by turning it into pop music!

The number one Evanescence song is ****e I think and it gets on my nerves bigtime! To be honest!

Only a handful of decent bands at the moment. Red hot chili peppers are still brilliant and The White Stripes are really good and refreshing. Can't really think of anything else thats decent. I tend to listen to older bands now because I don't like any of the ****e bands around at the moment.
The Dude
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Oh forgot about Radiohead they are another one of the few great bands at the moment!
dusty
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by The Dude
Oh forgot about Radiohead they are another one of the few great bands at the moment!
Radiohead rock. If any of you haven't heard of The Frames, they're my pet band of the month, they're Irish and no one seems to have heard of them, but they are supreme!
XTRMNTR
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Originally posted by Leekey

I'll take your challenge. The following are examples of bands from America (in no particular order) who have released an album in the past 10 years. They all satisfy the above criteria.

The Smashing Pumpkins
The Icarus Line
At The Drive-In
Yeah Yeah Yeahs
The John Spencer Blues Explosion
Tool
Grandaddy
Interpol
The Liars
Pavement
The White Stripes
Sonic Youth
Deftones
And You Will Know Us By The Trail Of Dead
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Eels
The Breeders
Hole
The Moldy Peaches
Queens Of The Stoneage
REM
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Rage Against The Machine

I've probably missed a good few.
rachelina*
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Personally, 'Bring Me to Life' just gets on my nerves now. I thought it was a pretty good song when I first heard it, but its suffered from the overplay syndrome, when radios latch onto a song and CONSTANTLY play it so that people like me get sick of it and end up hating it. I've heard the album, and I havta agree with some of the other people, most of the other tracks seem to be pretty similar. But thats just my personal opinion.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Well done XTRMNTR, I hadn't expected such a well thought ot response. I probably should have done a more restricted time period!!!

I do disagree with the following.....

Tool - Do not rate them at all. I understand why people would like them but not to my taste at all.

The White Stripes - I actually like them but I think I need more proof of them being credible before I will accept them.

Deftones - Started well but I think that they went heavily off the rail in the wake of "White Pony".

Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - They are quite funny in my opinion. If you take "Spread you love", downtune it and speed it up a fraction, you can get it to sound exactly like "spirit in the sky".

I do not disagree with the others but I would also point out that for every single one of these bands, there are approximately 50000 other bands that fit my earlier description perfectly.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads