What is your opinion about Evanescence?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
XTRMNTR
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Sorry for the late reply Leekey. Thanks for the compliment.

To be honest it doesn't matter whether you think they are credible or not or whether there new work is worse than their older work - the point is they can produce music that is interesting.

My list shouldn't act as the definative list for good American bands in the past 10 years (I'm sure I've missed a good few). I've not included any solo artists such as Evan Dando, Frank Black, Beck, Tom Waits, Ryan Adams, Jeff Buckley etc.

Also, 'rock' is not the 'be all and end all' of contemporary music - which I'm sure you realised. My list should now include artists such as De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, The Roots, DJ Shadow, Indie Arie etc.

Originally posted by Leekey
I would also point out that for every single one of these bands, there are approximately 50000 other bands that fit my earlier description perfectly.
Who cares? There are so many great artists from all over the world spanning a large period of time - why bother.
Ollie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
not a fan myself, although i generally like female vocals, evanescence dont really make me happy-thats te kind of music i like- ska punk!
Leekey
Badges: 9
Report 16 years ago
I know that "Rock" music is not the "be all and end all" of contemporary music but what else is it possible to compare Evanescence to???

I think you should also have included Sound Garden in the list (just listening to thier best of.. album again and it just never gets old).

You must admit that some of the bands that the states has produced have been shocking though.......e.g. Blink 182!!!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i quite like blink, u shuld listen to some of their old stuff before you write them off. that was quality.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I have heard there older stuff (i.e. Buddha & Dude Ranch). I really don't like their music at all but that is not why I dislike them so much. I base my intense dislike of them on the fact they seem to insist that they are something that they are not! I really hate it when pretentious (hope I spelled it right) rich kids from the states try and pass themselves off as a "punk band" (their words not mine), when they are nothing more than a company controlled cash cow.
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
i wouldnt agree with that! those albums are amazing! they wernt that rich, how do u define a punk band? on the other hand the new album was rubbish......
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I could understand why someone would like Dude Ranch but the Buddha album was awful!!!

I cant really define punk but if you want a template then use The Clash, The Sex Pistols or if you are seriously desperate (and have no knowledge of the history of punk) Green Day.

You must surely agree that there has been a serious dilution of punk over the past 10 years. There are no real "punk" bands left, there are just pretty boys who whinge and whine about things not going their way.

PS - Sorry for the delay ( im in a beer garden on my lappy)

PSS - IT IS SOOOOO HOT!!!!!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah damn its hot, ive just got back from gran canaria and its not off that!

ok, buddah wasnt great, but dude ranch and chechire cat were great!

i wouldnt say punk has disapeared over the last 10 years. There is still many bands around if u wanna find them. On the other hand i kinda agree, there is nothing liek the clash, sex pistols etc, but i dont really want that. punk has evolved. now there are many different types. i would clasify blink as pop-punk. so comparing blink to the sex pistols is stupid. Agreed there is a void left by those bands, but the audience isnt really there any more. Its expanded out into pop punk, ska punk, punk rock, etc etc etc.
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
I think the audience will always be here for a great band. I would still prefer to listen to London's Calling rather than a lot of the crap I hear about.

How was Grand Caneria??

Anyone know what the weather is like in Sweeden (im off their next week and really hope I don't leave the sun and get the rain)??
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
gran cararia was great-really hot, everything was cheap! a good time had by all! in my experience there is always music out there to listen to if u can be botehred to find it!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
On a completely unrelated topic -Why has the price of beer just gone up in the past 20 minutes???

20 mins ago I paid £1.60 for a bottle. I have just paid £1.80!!!!

I really think its a conspiracy, how can they justify putting the price of a bottle up when its this hot??? Doesn't alcohol dehydrate you??? Surely this is very wrong!!!!
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
yeah it does, it depands where ure buying, on holiday it was €1.10 a bottle thats about 75p a bottle of stella. Did u buy both i the same place?
PHIL
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I went to Prague a couple of months ago, and you could get a pint for 10p. sadly it wa a school trip, and we were only allowed 1 drink per meal (in theory), as if it wern't a school trip, it woulda been a great place to go on a pissup, as you could get completely smashed on £2 ish.

Phil
Ollie
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
10p a pint? I wouldnt drink anything thats as cheap as that. The main companies would never charge around 5p a pint (+ profit =10p) to the bars!
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
>

I I base my intense dislike of them on the fact they seem to insist that they are something that they are not! I really hate it when pretentious (hope I spelled it right) rich kids from the states try and pass themselves off as a "punk band"
< how I feel about Busted *shiver of disgust*...apart from they are English -oh the shame on our country for producing them! Why are they so damned popular! It is incredibly annoying, because as with all songs I regard with distaste, theirs have a tendency to get stuck in my head.

Blah

Originally posted by Ollie
thats te kind of music i like- ska punk!
Yey for ska! Along with my love for 80s one-hit-wonder style songs I greatly appreciate this genre...well madness are fun but recently I have come to greatly enjoy the works of Reel Big Fish (Favourite Noise -album) which I have occationally tried to advertise on the forum :P
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
We should start a new thread purely for the advertisement of decent bands. The only problem would come when I decide to promote some obscure band from the 70's that everyone whould undoubtedly hate.

I really don't find ska very interesting at all but providing you don't go all fascist on me and force me to listen to it, I will tolerate your taste (I would not do this if you liked some genres).
Egan1
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
I am generally quite varied in my musical tastes...there are few styles that I totally deteste...apart from 'dance' because it basically involves DJs taking and vandalising classics *sigh*...
I love music from musicals etc...tis always fun to sing raucously along with (Miss Saigon be very good in my opinion, then there's things like War of the Words that have good music/instrumentals...nice and dramatic)

Anyway...not entirely sure the point of this post but meh!
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
Don't **** off dance music too much. It does serve a purpose in some cases. The only one that springs to mind is the funny drunken dancing that it produces from most of my friends.
lou p lou
Rep:
?
Report 16 years ago
Don't **** off dance music too much.
yey, dance music!!! when it's on the radio i literally want to strangle someone (or change the station...depends how violent i'm feeling), but when i have a few vodkas in my belly it suddenly transforms into the work of a musical genius...god i should stop drinking...
Leekey
Report 16 years ago
You should see me around 2am on a Friday night! Normally I have co-ordination and can control myself, unfortunately this goes straight down the toilet when I get a bit trollyed.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads