Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Egan1
    [B
    Yey for ska! Along with my love for 80s one-hit-wonder style songs I greatly appreciate this genre...well madness are fun but recently I have come to greatly enjoy the works of Reel Big Fish (Favourite Noise -album) which I have occationally tried to advertise on the forum :P [/B]
    My best mate is a huge fan of Reel Big Fish, I have been dragged to see them twice with him now. Have you heard their latest album? I think it is called 'cheer up' or something like that, my mate says it is better than favourite noise, though I'm not a big fan of them myself.

ReputationRep:
    No I have only heard favourite noise so far...basically the way it works is my sisters buys albums (of the genre styles chilli peppers, jimmy eat world etc etc etc esque) and I listen and normally like...
    I'm the one that normally buys the soundtrack style albums...

Don't have a big enough amount of 'pocket money' to be buying albums all the time...alas...

I have one word for you my friend:

B E A R S H A R E

ReputationRep:
    to beat favourite noise would be impressive as its the best of so far. I really like ska, from reggee style to ska punk, there are many different avinues including the familiar reel big fish/ less than jake. There are so many good bands to check out out there. Some other good bands include, save ferris, mighty mighty bosstones, mu330, goldfinger, catch 22, five iron frenzy, sublime, those are all quite well known. There are many lesser known bands such as capdown, easy big fella, howards alias..... and many others that arnt known. my point is that that if u like the genre, and dont mind delving deep, there is a whole welth of bands to suit every ska taste!

Hey also, has anyone heard of Duff Muffin? They are a band from my college (now ex). Kinda Ska Punky Jazz, but they are amazing! has any one heard of them, or wanna?

My stance on kazaa is download it, and if can afford it, if u think its worth ure money, them buy it. Its only fair on the artist!

ReputationRep:
    I definately agree with you about downloading music, if I hear a song I like from a band I've not heard of before, then I will download a couple more of their songs, and if I like those as well then I will go out and buy the CD. In that respect being able to download songs may increase a bands sales.

ReputationRep:
    Originally posted by Dam
    I definately agree with you about downloading music, if I hear a song I like from a band I've not heard of before, then I will download a couple more of their songs, and if I like those as well then I will go out and buy the CD. In that respect being able to download songs may increase a bands sales.
    You are a slim percentage of kazaa users who think that way...the majority use it with the excuse that 'the record companies are rolling in it' to download as much as they want of whatever they want without giving a second thought- that's a load of **** in my opinion, I mean yes of course some of the biggens of the record industry are very comfortable money wise, but it doesn't follow that because to buy it you would have to pay extreme prices you shouldn't have pay at all- you become the one ripping of the bands- who are not all rich or that well known...

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't think the quality of mp3s is good enough to use as a sustitute for buying CDS, they are only really suitable for evaluation purposes anyway.

You should convert to WAV files before you burn. This has a few advantages:

1) Consistent good quality among all tracks.
    2) Will play in any CD player regardless of it CD-R / CD-WR playback capabilities.
    3) Gives you something to do at 4am when you can sleep because of chronic insomnia (or is that just me?).

ReputationRep:
    I'm still not convinced. Surely if something has been compressed, and is then returned to its original size, information has been lost?

I don't know much about this sort of thing, I can't even burn CDs anymore since I sold my PC.

Evanescence rocks! one of my favo bands ...together with LinkinPark
    My Tourniquet, Everybody's fool are v good if you ask me

all the talk about bands is great and all but i think that no band is good or bad. it´s a matter of opinions, i mean i don´t like blink but someone else could think it´s the greatest band in the world. what makes a band good? its all about people liking them or not.
    personally i think evanescence is pretty good. it is true that there have been bands in the past where a female was the lead singer but they have some good songs.

one of my favorite bands of all times is sublime.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Dam)
    I'm still not convinced. Surely if something has been compressed, and is then returned to its original size, information has been lost?

I don't know much about this sort of thing, I can't even burn CDs anymore since I sold my PC.
    Yes compressing songs into mp3s usually gets rid of some sound wavelengths (although the software makers claim that they're the wavelengths out of human hearing) - mainly the bass...it's ok for listening to music on computer speakers or even in the car but if you're using a half decent stereo you can spot the difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unregistered)
    all the talk about bands is great and all but i think that no band is good or bad. it´s a matter of opinions, i mean i don´t like blink but someone else could think it´s the greatest band in the world. what makes a band good? its all about people liking them or not.
    personally i think evanescence is pretty good. it is true that there have been bands in the past where a female was the lead singer but they have some good songs.

one of my favorite bands of all times is sublime.
    Thats a lie. You do think bands are good and bad. Saying
    i think evanescence is pretty good...
    Just proves it.
    But anyway, i do see the point you are making, and agree with it as well, that likes and dislikes are individual to the individual.

But that is the whole point of this thread, people discussing their opinions on evanescence.

RE downloading music, a few points.

1) when using kazaa you can see the quality of the mp3 anyway, only get above 128.

2) most people who use kazaa still buy music. The singles sales have been hit recently - but who can say this isn't down to the falling standard of music in our charts? Or perhaps people have just woken up to how much of a rip off the price of a single is when compared to the price of an album.

3) album sales have only been hit by cd piraters - not downloaders. An album still has its own appeal when it comes to buying it. you can have all the tracks on your computer but it is somehow not the same.

The UK verion of the RIAA (can't remember their name as it is not as catchy) have been more sensible. They have left downloaders alone and concentrated on tracking down cd-piraters instead.

ReputationRep:
    RE downloading music, a few points.

1) when using kazaa you can see the quality of the mp3 anyway, only get above 128.

2) most people who use kazaa still buy music. The singles sales have been hit recently - but who can say this isn't down to the falling standard of music in our charts? Or perhaps people have just woken up to how much of a rip off the price of a single is when compared to the price of an album.

3) album sales have only been hit by cd piraters - not downloaders. An album still has its own appeal when it comes to buying it. you can have all the tracks on your computer but it is somehow not the same.

The UK verion of the RIAA (can't remember their name as it is not as catchy) have been more sensible. They have left downloaders alone and concentrated on tracking down cd-piraters instead.
    Exactly, singles are stupid, and a total waste of money. I've only bought two singles in my life, and they were for the videos on them, which i thought were cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xpander)
    Evanescence is a new band to most people, yet their song bring me to life from their new album fallen stayed number one in uk charts for many weeks. I personally love their music, because of they combine rock music with female vocals(Amy Lee). All songs of their album fallen are great.
    What is your opinion about them?

I love Evanescence...can't get tyred of hearing the musics!!!

(Original post by Iluvatar)
    Thats a lie. You do think bands are good and bad. Saying Just proves it.
    But anyway, i do see the point you are making, and agree with it as well, that likes and dislikes are individual to the individual.

But that is the whole point of this thread, people discussing their opinions on evanescence.
    that`s not what i meant. i`m just saying that just because you don`t like a band it doesn`t mean that is bad

ReputationRep:
    I generally only download a couple of songs by a band to see what I like, and buy it if I'm impressed. Buying an album is so much better than just burning the tracks from mp3. You get a certain satisfaction from owning the legitamate article!
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    2) most people who use kazaa still buy music.
    Not me but then music doesn't play anything like the role in my life that it used to...tbh I don't even listen to the downloaded stuff more than once a month or so, but at the same time I attended Glastonbury this yr (first time since 97) and plan to continue until St Eavis retires. I will be buying the new REM album at the end of the month though - we all have our little obsessions

ReputationRep:
    well my dear, you may dislike the most stuff out there, but i happen to hate the white stripes so there you go.
    each to their own.
    you can't bad mouth a band just because they don't fit you're musical taste. i've a lot of respect for Nirvana, and no, no one will ever match up to what they created. but it's not about that. some of the bands out there (amoungst, i do agree, a lot of crap) are trully passionate and real about their music; and know what their doing. it aint easy making it as a musician, and i think anyone who has (without the help of stupid computerised enhancement [thanks Ben Folds, you always make me laugh with your song about just that!]) deserves a pat on the back.
    which brings me round to evanescence - these guys are passionate and do have talent, and they're not 'angry american people from the suburbs', i can't say i've ever known a band of Christians to be 'angry'. how stupid of you, get it right before you critizise people!!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.