The Student Room Group

13 year old school girl, found hanged.

Police say a body found in Nottinghamshire is that of missing 13-year-old Amber Peat.Tributes have been paid to the schoolgirl who left her home in Mansfield on Saturday evening.Flowers were left at the foot of a tree where her body was found less than a mile.Around 400 officers were involved in the search, and detectives said they are not treating her death as suspicious.The cause of death has been confirmed as hanging.

http://news.sky.com/story/1495681/missing-13-year-old-amber-peat-found-hanged

This is such an awful story, I wish the news would say more about why she hanged herself rather than "she had an argument over a coolbox" because it makes it seem trivial when I'm sure it's not. What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

I guess that final disagreement just set her off.

Clearly there was stuff going on at school or something
Reply 2
Original post by Dancatpro
I guess that final disagreement just set her off.

Clearly there was stuff going on at school or something

Yeah but they seemed to have brushed all of that off reiterating that she was apparently 'fine' when it's obvious she wasn't. I think it's quite offensive.
Parents probably treated her badly
Tbh, I think they need to respect the privacy of the family and not publish all the little details of the story for everyone to analyse - simply saying she's been found dead and the death is not being treated as suspicious should be it.

The trouble with giving details like "she was being bullied at school" or "there were tensions in the family" or any other explanation (including the whole coolbox thing tbh) starts shifting blame onto other people (even if it's deserved), could make others upset and potentially lead to further problems.

But yes, I do agree that insisting she was fine is rather misleading and offensive.
Original post by Schrödingers Cat
Parents probably treated her badly

Don't jump to conclusions

Wasn't a conclusion, just guessing. Impossible to tell anyway by the information given.
Reply 7
Original post by dragonkeeper999
Tbh, I think they need to respect the privacy of the family and not publish all the little details of the story for everyone to analyse - simply saying she's been found dead and the death is not being treated as suspicious should be it.

The trouble with giving details like "she was being bullied at school" or "there were tensions in the family" or any other explanation (including the whole coolbox thing tbh) starts shifting blame onto other people (even if it's deserved), could make others upset and potentially lead to further problems.

But yes, I do agree that insisting she was fine is rather misleading and offensive.

Yes I agree they should have privacy but I just find the way they've said she was fine and she had an argument over a coolbox really condescending and offensive. There would be no problem without that remark but if they're going to release details such as that then it's not exactly private at the moment. Many people will now blame the parents. That may not be the case at all
Original post by Crystalz
Yes I agree they should have privacy but I just find the way they've said she was fine and she had an argument over a coolbox really condescending and offensive. There would be no problem without that remark but if they're going to release details such as that then it's not exactly private at the moment. Many people will now blame the parents. That may not be the case at all

No, I totally agree with that. They should simply have said that she was dead and it's not being treated as suspicious, end of story.

It's not just condescending and offensive - it also neglects the whole issue of mental health and suicide by implying that she just had a bit of a teenage strop so hanged herself. That is totally misleading and gives the wrong impression of people suffering from mental health conditions or suicidal thoughts.

couldn't rep for an annoying reason.

Anyway this sad. I hate seeing minors and children suffer and hurt.

In the kid's defense, when I was younger I've wanted to do violent things (however, not normally self-harm...) when I couldn't get my way. Feeling powerless, helpless, voiceless and without a positive outlet, and then ontop of whatever kinda temper that girl might have had, or other personal demons like self esteem probably that tbh many parents are oblivious their kids suffer through. I'd hang somebody myself with all that going on.
I'm guessing from "confirmed as hanging", it was a potential suicide?
If that is the case, it must have been extremely bad for a 13-year-old to consider suicide, although I do agree with the previous comment on the fact that the families privacy should be respected, and that the general public do not need to be given every detail on the death. If it was a suicide, I do blame the desensitising of issues such as suicide, although it does inform you of issues, by talking about it too much I do believe it plants a seed into younger people's head, this is only my opinion. Also, the materialism of it on social media websites is a big issue, people suffering from issues of depression etc have even said this themselves.
Oh god, that's tragic. I was so hoping they'd find her alive. This is just...miserable.

I don't think people should start scapegoating the parents, at least not until we get a better grasp of what's going on. Kids can hide issues from parents and how on earth do you even contemplate your 13-year-old kid being suicidal?
I'm not one to judge but I always believe that suicide is the easy way out. Of course I don't know all of the details but that's just my opinion.

You said yourself there may have been something going on at school. It's just as likely there was something going on at home.

On a separate note, 'strange' and 'sad' are odd words to hear a parent describing the death of their daughter with. They sound more like quotes from the neighbours than the parents.
Reply 14
Original post by TurboCretin
You said yourself there may have been something going on at school. It's just as likely there was something going on at home.

On a separate note, 'strange' and 'sad' are odd words to hear a parent describing the death of their daughter with. They sound more like quotes from the neighbours than the parents.

Very true. I was expecting a "I don't understand why" rather than "it's just so strange"
Very true. I was expecting a "I don't understand why" rather than "it's just so strange"

Yeah. You'd think they were talking about losing their keys, not their child.
what happened exactly?... :frown:
Praying for a speedy recovery
Reply 18
Original post by WillNegForReps

??? Recovery from death

Original post by scrawlx101
what happened exactly?... :frown:

She went to the woods and allegedly hanged herself. Nothing more is known.
Original post by WillNegForReps

??? Recovery from death

lol

Could be murder though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending