The Student Room Group

How many times did it take to pass your driving test??

Scroll to see replies

I just failed today due to my leg shaking like mad. Hopefully next time I will do it although I did get 6 faults one which was a major. You have really made me feel a bit better about myself.
It took me 13 times and I finally passed on 21st November 2017, just before the new test.
Two attempts, one year apart, wasn't really motivated to keep going after the first fail because the lessons were effort to get to, I moved house and the instructor didn't wanna cover it, so I had to keep bussing it over + walking which took ages and wore me out before I'd even get behind the wheel of a car. Failed for so many reasons (I still have the record of it in my shelves as a constant reminder to how far I've come, but to summarize, almost rear-ended a van, dangerous overtake, too close to parked cars being the three faults, 2 serious 1 dangerous). Passed it 2nd time almost 3 weeks ago (Christ can't believe I've already been riding solo that long) and I feel all the better for failing the first time. Because I must have sucked hard and even if I somehow winged a pass that day I'd have definitely totalled a car by now.

My instructor was amazing; but part of the motivation was the past year of bussing it into work (I've always bussed it to/from work; but I've only recently noticed how much it sucks) in crowded busses full of people pushing and shoving stinking of sweat in the summer or freezing at a bus stop in the winter; I couldn't take it anymore. A certain large Airline catering company is next to where I work; their shifts are in line with ours so you could bet your arse that at the end of every shift; they'd be lining up the entire road where the bus stop is on and then the stampede begins when a bus eventually arrives. Plus most of them are Indians and they're used to the concept of if you don't push, shove, pinch and force your way into the bus via the back doors; you aren't travelling home (I'm half Indian, so I know the state of public transport in India from my Dad); I am way too tired at the end of the shift to fight back and used to take longer bus routes just to avoid them. Also, it used to take me an hour to get to work (or from it). It now takes 8 minutes. That isn't me driving like a bell-end, that is because of the bus route vs direct route.
(edited 6 years ago)
Has anyone passed the practical test with new rules effect from 4th December 2017?
I have my test on Thursday I shall let you know!
Original post by Aadebus
I have my test on Thursday I shall let you know!

Good Luck with that :smile:
Original post by willipass
Good Luck with that :smile:

Hi @Aadebus,
How did your test go?
I am taking driving test again. This is my second attempt! Hope I can pass this time.
Im taking my test this Monday and I'm already bricking it , any tips on how to have a good test?
Im taking my test this Monday and I'm already bricking it , any tips on how to have a good test?
Original post by Lilannep
I am taking driving test again. This is my second attempt! Hope I can pass this time.

Original post by tobyjuggers

Good luck guys!

As to how to have a good test, stay calm. If you feel yourself getting a bit tense or worked up when you're stopped and asked to do something, take a deep breath and have a think about it first. It's completely fine to take a second.
I got through in one try. Got a 97% on the written, and a 90% on the driving part. The interesting thing was, the written test was in Spanish [not one of my better languages]. It was about 30% guesswork. My driving 'inspector' spoke not a word of english [or Yank], and the test course was under the approach path to Jose Marti' International Airport. About every 20 seconds, something would fly by about 20 feet over the car, making an earsplitting racket. I avoided killing both of us on the busy 4 lane road the test course was on - so i consider myself lucky. Cheers.
3 times, i had the same examiner the first two tests and she seemed kinda nit picky about mistakes i made, third test i had someone else and even though i made so many mistakes which would have caused me to fail he still passed me, sometimes it could just be your examiner.
Original post by bubblegumcat
3 times, i had the same examiner the first two tests and she seemed kinda nit picky about mistakes i made, third test i had someone else and even though i made so many mistakes which would have caused me to fail he still passed me, sometimes it could just be your examiner.

I passed on my 3rd attempt too. On the 3rd attempt, I pretty sure I kind of hit the curb a bit, either that or I hit something, it felt like I hit something and the examiner never said anything. She was only really picky about my parallel parking! :tongue:
Original post by ohhello92x
I passed on my 3rd attempt too. On the 3rd attempt, I pretty sure I kind of hit the curb a bit, either that or I hit something, it felt like I hit something and the examiner never said anything. She was only really picky about my parallel parking! :tongue:

damn parallel parking? you got unlucky there, all of my tests had reverse around the corner which is pretty easy, i actually messed it up the 3rd time but i managed to fix it but still it’s just really surprising how my examiner passed me when i’m sure the other examiner would have failed me on the 3rd test, i should have passed on my second test tbh. Sometimes examiners might not notice mistakes we make haha. I was in a bus lane on my first test at the correct time and there was a car on the lane right to me wanting to change over, i didn’t let them when i should have but my examiner didn’t notice :tongue:
damn parallel parking? you got unlucky there, all of my tests had reverse around the corner which is pretty easy, i actually messed it up the 3rd time but i managed to fix it but still it’s just really surprising how my examiner passed me when i’m sure the other examiner would have failed me on the 3rd test, i should have passed on my second test tbh. Sometimes examiners might not notice mistakes we make haha. I was in a bus lane on my first test at the correct time and there was a car on the lane right to me wanting to change over, i didn’t let them when i should have but my examiner didn’t notice :tongue:

Yep haha :colondollar:! Oh lucky, in my first two attempts I got turn in the road and bay park, turn in the road is what failed me the first time round, was on a stretch of road where it was slightly curved, should’ve added gas and found the biting point, but ended up going for the brake and clutch and kept stalling, and the examiner had to then help which was a fail (but would’ve passed first time if I hadn’t have messed up), and the second attempt was the worst drive ever -.-! Aw bless, guess the examiner was too busy concentrating to notice :tongue:
Yep haha :colondollar:! Oh lucky, in my first two attempts I got turn in the road and bay park, turn in the road is what failed me the first time round, was on a stretch of road where it was slightly curved, should’ve added gas and found the biting point, but ended up going for the brake and clutch and kept stalling, and the examiner had to then help which was a fail (but would’ve passed first time if I hadn’t have messed up), and the second attempt was the worst drive ever -.-! Aw bless, guess the examiner was too busy concentrating to notice :tongue:

ahh damn bay park is even harder! i was at a test centre which doesn’t test bay park so i didn’t have to worry about that, yeah turn in the road can be ok unless the road is curved, i always worried if i would hit the curb! i always forget how such a relief it is to not be having driving lessons or doing those tests
ahh damn bay park is even harder! i was at a test centre which doesn’t test bay park so i didn’t have to worry about that, yeah turn in the road can be ok unless the road is curved, i always worried if i would hit the curb! i always forget how such a relief it is to not be having driving lessons or doing those tests

Yeah. Oh wow, the test centre I was at, it’s just pot luck if you do your bay park at the beginning as there’s parking bays at the centre, or obviously somewhere in the test. Yeah exactly :redface:! Lol same, and it’s a relief not spending money on lessons and can use the money towards petrol, etc :smile:
Yeah. Oh wow, the test centre I was at, it’s just pot luck if you do your bay park at the beginning as there’s parking bays at the centre, or obviously somewhere in the test. Yeah exactly :redface:! Lol same, and it’s a relief not spending money on lessons and can use the money towards petrol, etc :smile:

Ahh i see. Yeah it’s relief not having to spend money on driving lessons anymore it was getting so expensive. i’m also glad i didn’t have to do the new test because if i failed my third test i would have had to do the new test
Reply 279
3 times

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending