Can you prevent someone from paying money into your bank account?

Watch
Daisy21
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I recently fell out with a friend (he was horrible to my dog :mad:). He apparently told a mutual friend that he was going to try paying £20 into my bank account (he knows my account number and sort code because he once borrowed money off me for drinks and paid it back direct) to make amends. I told the mutual friend no but she says she told him that and he wants to do it anyway.

However I don't want his money. Can I ask my bank to stop payments from him? Or into my account generally if not from him specifically? (I am changing accounts in a few months anyway)
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No way to block payments unless you close the account i m afraid
SophieSmall
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Not as far as I know.
May as well just keep the money, you don't have to forgive him or be friends with him again. But at least you get £20.
Alexion
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just send it back again when it appears, just pay it back into your ex-friend's account.

But then again, I see no issue in keeping it getting annoyed by it will just stir things up more...
futbol
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Just spend it on dog insurance.
lyrical_lie
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Don't think so. I would just send it back to them.
Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
There's no way that I know of to block incoming payments. I's guess that you bank could do it if they really wanted to but I doubt they would without a good reason. Just receive it and send it back.
Daisy21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Alexion)
Just send it back again when it appears, just pay it back into your ex-friend's account.

But then again, I see no issue in keeping it getting annoyed by it will just stir things up more...
(Original post by lyrical_lie)
Don't think so. I would just send it back to them.
(Original post by Reue)
There's no way that I know of to block incoming payments. I's guess that you bank could do it if they really wanted to but I doubt they would without a good reason. Just receive it and send it back.
I think I will send it back if he does, I don't know his bank/account number/sort code though or anything except his full name. Will my bank have a record of those (based on the £20 transaction) so be able to send those back automatically?
Soldieroffortune
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No idea about your bank but with mine if you know the other persons details you can have it blocked failing that you can return to sender as it were or just keep it.
Daisy21
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soldieroffortune)
No idea about your bank but with mine if you know the other persons details you can have it blocked failing that you can return to sender as it were or just keep it.
Thanks, which bank are you with? I don't know his account number etc. for returning it to him but if he sends it it might be on that transaction
ImProudVolunteer
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
you can donate the money to dog care center or related to
Soldieroffortune
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Daisy21)
Thanks, which bank are you with? I don't know his account number etc. for returning it to him but if he sends it it might be on that transaction
ANZ and Citi.
Yar it should be on the 'ticket' if not you could always give a cheque to a middleman as it were?
username457532
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Or just keep it. You're not obliged to be his friend just because he's given you some money.
020howes27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Soldieroffortune)
What bank is this?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's worrying you most about starting back at school/college this year?

The potential for Covid to keep disrupting things (111)
14.51%
My mental health (111)
14.51%
Feeling behind academically (144)
18.82%
Making friends/social anxiety (138)
18.04%
How to organise myself (25)
3.27%
How to revise/study effectively (91)
11.9%
Future career, uni, pathway planning and applications (129)
16.86%
Something else - let us know in the thread (16)
2.09%

Watched Threads