The Student Room Group

Circumcision worries

Was wondering if anyone here has had a circumcision in their late teens or as adults?

I am 23 and for my whole life I have had pretty bad Phimosis (a tight foreskin). I have only really been able to retract it fully when I am in the shower, with soap (which acts as lube) and provided it is flaccid (soft).

I finally made the plunge today to see a private urologist. He examined my penis and couldn't retract it at all, even though it was in a very flaccid state, because there wasn't any lube at hand. So clearly my Phimosis is pretty bad.

He gave me a prescription of a steroid cream and said to use it every evening for 4 weeks. If there isn't significant improvement then he recommended surgery (either a dorsal slit or circumcision). He also stated that in most cases, the steroid cream doesn't work sufficiently, so that in most cases surgery does becoming appropriate.

As a result I booked a circumcision, under general anaesthesia AFAIK, taking place in around 6 weeks time.

Do you guys think I have made a rash decision? The tightness has annoyed me for a good part of my life. Sex isn't good, masturbating isn't particularly good, and it's a nuisance to spend 5 minutes each time I shower lubing up my penis with soap so that I can retract my foreskin and clean my penis. My dad also underwent circumcision when he was 25 years old due to Phimosis - so it is quite possibly a genetic thing.

I'm just thinking that, according to the surgeon, given the steroid cream generally doesn't work in the long term, it is a nuisance to have to do everyday, and circumcision is, at least from what I have read and heard, a very safe procedure, I might as well get it over and done with. Total recovery time is 4 to 6 weeks long and I will be able to resume office work after a week, generally.

Just interested in your thoughts? Also for those of you who have undergone circumcision in their late teens or as adults, how did it go? I'm also anxious/worried/scared about the procedure itself.

Thanks guys.
Even allowing for the way surgeons do tend to be biased towards surgical solutions to problems, it does sound a sensible thing for you to do.

I do know someone who had it done at 18, due to scaring from an operation just after birth. They had some definite soreness following the op, but soon had a penis they could actually use in ways that they wanted.

Quick Reply

Latest