The Student Room Group

marketing job scam beware !!!!-- door to door

I was looking for a part time job as i had 4 months off. Came across a company called IXL on reed based in canary wharf. I was expecting a admin job, passed first interview. Invited next day for an assessment day only to find out it was a door to door sales job. 100% commission, awful hours. Basically they are lying to you and manipulating naive young people that are new to job seeking, like i was. Its so funny and sad that the employees think they will earn couple grand a week. Basically if it says direct sales on their website stay away. Its funny because i got through to an assessment day with KPMG school leavers last year which i missed out on. It was unbelievably professional and then one with IXL. Moral of the story, only apply to recognised firms. Those bastards ruined my whole day giving me false dreams.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khalid78628
Moral of the story, only apply to recognised firms.

Moral of the story - if the job isn't what you thought it was, don't be afraid to walk away. By only working for recognised firms, you are limiting yourself to about 100 employers worldwide and working for some of them sucks!

Good luck!
Original post by khalid78628
I was looking for a part time job as i had 4 months off. Came across a company called IXL on reed based in canary wharf. I was expecting a admin job, passed first interview. Invited next day for an assessment day only to find out it was a door to door sales job. 100% commission, awful hours. Basically they are lying to you and manipulating naive young people that are new to job seeking, like i was. Its so funny and sad that the employees think they will earn couple grand a week. Basically if it says direct sales on their website stay away. Its funny because i got through to an assessment day with KPMG school leavers last year which i missed out on. It was unbelievably professional and then one with IXL. Moral of the story, only apply to recognised firms. Those bastards ruined my whole day giving me false dreams.

Yes, my poor young brother got fleeced by one of those back in 2009 when he graduated.

He's in a good place now though.
Reply 3
Original post by ByEeek
Moral of the story - if the job isn't what you thought it was, don't be afraid to walk away. By only working for recognised firms, you are limiting yourself to about 100 employers worldwide and working for some of them sucks!

Good luck!

True but most of these private companies suck. I dont mean recognised like big 4 but a well known company for example tesco, currys. Not a job where you work in a dirty office with corrupt employers
(edited 8 years ago)
They've just called me with one that has been the most hilarious phone call ever! One of their "PR" said that the managers found my CV impressive and they'd like to see me tomorrow for an interview and to CONGRATULATE for my experience. I know my CV it's not bad but....come on!!
Anyway this post will save me money and time.
If this can help, here's the number they were calling from 02070017818.

L.
i had the 2nd interview part yesterday... suffice to say i figured it was a ****-faced pyramid-scamming waste of time a couple of hours in...

but still sat it out, out of partly curiosity as to this monstrosity before me, and also out of regard, somewhat pity for the poor man up to his eyes in it already (albeit he was trying to dupe me into it)

I wish I could have talked with the other applicants after to warn them and make sure they wouldn't waste any of their time with this crap...

naive, gullible people - it's sad :-(
Reply 6
I looked everywhere for an honest review... I am so happy I didn't trust the Facebook reviews, as they were "too good to be true".
Reply 7
Hi I'm doing a project into these sort of scams. Would you be willing to do an email or telephone interview with me?!
Reply 8
I've seen them in action doing their sales door to door. They did not even have any sort of licence. They are approaching anyone anyhow, wherever however in a totally unprofessional manner. Very disgusted with their behaviour :-(.
Reply 9
Hi, in short I'm doing a project on these companies in an attempt to raise public awareness of the underhand and coercive practices that they use. Not only do they treat the public in such a horrendous way they also manipulate and abuse the 'staff'. If anyone has had any experiences working for these companies and is willing to tell me a bit about it then I implore you to get in contact with me. I can't post details on here but reply to this post and we can take it from there.

Hopefully we can work together to expose what it is these companies are doing.
I don't see what's wrong with them - they're perfect for graduates who can't find a job anywhere else. Much better than being unemployed and scrounging off the state.
Original post by stevey396
I don't see what's wrong with them - they're perfect for graduates who can't find a job anywhere else. Much better than being unemployed and scrounging off the state.

Becuase they practice poor working conditions. They make you sign a contract that states you are 'self-employed' and you pay for everything: travel, lunch etc. Then you receive commission only.

It's absolutely no way to live and employers aren't overly enthused with the 'experience' you gain from these sort of jobs.

Investing 27k on a degree for a door to door job. Lol
Original post by Syrianprince
Investing 27k on a degree for a door to door job. Lol

Job. You said it yourself - door to door JOB. Job > no job.

Students have already invested more than 27k on their degree, a further 27k won't hurt.
My God you guys, I just accepted an interview with them just now. What do I do? It's tomorrow!
Job. You said it yourself - door to door JOB. Job > no job.

Students have already invested more than 27k on their degree, a further 27k won't hurt.

I'll repeat again - it's not really a job.

You're effectively flying solo, paying your own way with zero benefits and when you do make any money, the company gets first dibs on it. You have zero guarenteed income.

Unemployment is better than these 'jobs' - fact.
Original post by DedicatedWizard
My God you guys, I just accepted an interview with them just now. What do I do? It's tomorrow!

Email and cancel.

I did when I sussed out one of these companies in Glasgow 'A4 Interactive'.

They won't even email you back, they don't care.
Original post by jg2012
Email and cancel.

I did when I sussed out one of these companies in Glasgow 'A4 Interactive'.

They won't even email you back, they don't care.

Thank you, I told them I got a job offer from some other company. Hopefully they won't reply :tongue:
Reply 18
I interviewed with a company like this in Manchester called Elite Intuition. Was called really quickly after applying and invited to an interview only to be left waiting for over an hour with a hall full of other people some who'd been waiting for over two hours. The office was "in the process of being done up" and not much looked professional at all. The interview itself only lasted about ten minutes and most of that was filled by the guy telling me how I could be running an office within seven months. I got a callback to attend a second interview under an hour after I'd left and was told I'd be emailed with the details, wasn't emailed by anyone until 10.30pm. I didn't attend the second interview as by that time I'd read stories online about these kind of jobs but I was told in the email to wear flat shoes as I'd be on my feet all day and to bring money for travel and I was given no finish time for the interview. Needless to say I just didn't turn up and received no call or email to ask where I was.
Original post by acery
I interviewed with a company like this in Manchester called Elite Intuition. Was called really quickly after applying and invited to an interview only to be left waiting for over an hour with a hall full of other people some who'd been waiting for over two hours. The office was "in the process of being done up" and not much looked professional at all. The interview itself only lasted about ten minutes and most of that was filled by the guy telling me how I could be running an office within seven months. I got a callback to attend a second interview under an hour after I'd left and was told I'd be emailed with the details, wasn't emailed by anyone until 10.30pm. I didn't attend the second interview as by that time I'd read stories online about these kind of jobs but I was told in the email to wear flat shoes as I'd be on my feet all day and to bring money for travel and I was given no finish time for the interview. Needless to say I just didn't turn up and received no call or email to ask where I was.

They make you travel all around London. The whole day lasts for 10 hours and travel fees range between £15 to £25. I was 18 at that time and it was my first ever interview. I passed the interview and rejected the offer, most awkward situation ever. Good that you didn't turn up!!!.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending