Arrested for cheering your classmates, a bit extreme?

Watch
Slowbro93
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
So I was sent over this article today:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/04/us...w-nytimes&_r=1

Where to summarise, some students were fined and even arrested for cheering their students during graduation. Now I understand that it may have been seen as "destroying the peace" but it's a bit extreme in my opinion for this to happen don't you think?

What are your thoughts on it? :holmes:
aaronlowe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
PC gone mad lol
BioAgent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If it were black students they would have been shot!
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BioAgent)
If it were black students they would have been shot!
Or used to train police dogs how to kill like in Israel
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Absolutely insane/ridiculous. That's absolutely mental! Thank goodness I don't live in the USA!

Far too extreme and if you tried giving me a $500 fine for that I'd appeal and not pay.
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)

Where to summarise, some students were fined and even arrested for cheering their students during graduation. Now I understand that it may have been seen as "destroying the peace" but it's a bit extreme in my opinion for this to happen don't you think?

Aaaahhhhh America
Greenlaner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)

America is a country where you can be potentially jailed in some areas for growing vegetables in your own front garden (http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-g...ry?id=14047214), so this isn't that suprising. And they still think their's is the freest country in the world, bless em'.
DiddyDec01
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They should have used the NUS branded Jazz Hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImNotReallyMe
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
While there are bigger crimes going on out there, they'd rather take on something a little easier to deal with
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ImNotReallyMe)
While there are bigger crimes going on out there, they'd rather take on something a little easier to deal with
This. Major drug dealers and terrorists carry weapons such as knives and guns. People who drive 75mph tend not to carry such equipment. This is why you often see speed cameras but not terrorist or drug dealer cameras.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
They should have used the NUS branded Jazz Hands.

Posted from TSR Mobile
:congrats:
The Dictator
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Greenlaner)
America is a country where you can be potentially jailed in some areas for growing vegetables in your own front garden (http://abcnews.go.com/US/vegetable-g...ry?id=14047214), so this isn't that suprising. And they still think their's is the freest country in the world, bless em'.
It was...
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The Canadian tourist board now advises visitors to America to not carry money as this could become stolen by the police. There are currently several stories trending about citizens in the US who have had their possessions stolen by police without a warrant or crime being investigated. This includes one teacher who had her apartment trashed and pissed on by police without any investigation.

I wonder if feral dog catchers should now target police to protect the public.
aaronlowe
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by spotify95)
Absolutely insane/ridiculous. That's absolutely mental! Thank goodness I don't live in the USA!

Far too extreme and if you tried giving me a $500 fine for that I'd appeal and not pay.
You'd end up in Guantanamo Bay lol
Bustamove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
America.. the land of the police state....
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aaronlowe)
The Canadian tourist board now advises visitors to America to not carry money as this could become stolen by the police. There are currently several stories trending about citizens in the US who have had their possessions stolen by police without a warrant or crime being investigated. This includes one teacher who had her apartment trashed and pissed on by police without any investigation.

I wonder if feral dog catchers should now target police to protect the public.
Do you have a link for that?
cacra
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Laomedeia)
This. Major drug dealers and terrorists carry weapons such as knives and guns. People who drive 75mph tend not to carry such equipment. This is why you often see speed cameras but not terrorist or drug dealer cameras.
Drug dealers are major criminals?

Can you explain how selling a substance that, in many cases, causes no proven harm to a human body can be a major crime? Just because a government doesn't want you to put a substance inside of your body doesn't make doing it a hideous and immoral action.

I deplore you comparing terrorists to drug dealers.
whorace
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cacra)

Can you explain how selling a substance that, in many cases, causes no proven harm to a human body can be a major crime? Just because a government doesn't want you to put a substance inside of your body doesn't make doing it a hideous and immoral action.

... how do you think people get those substances? It takes a lot of organisation to
traffick huge quantities of them accross the continent, thousands if not millions die due to drug related crime in countries like Mexico.
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cacra)

Oh for fruck sake! Go watch Bad Boys 1 & 2 before making more dullard comments.
spotify95
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by aaronlowe)
You'd end up in Guantanamo Bay lol
Which is a place that I have never heard of before in my entire life!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (121)
15.69%
Uncertainty around my education (125)
16.21%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (72)
9.34%
Isolating with family (51)
6.61%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (30)
3.89%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (66)
8.56%
Loneliness (81)
10.51%
Financial worries (32)
4.15%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (70)
9.08%
Exposure to negative news/social media (50)
6.49%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (73)
9.47%

Watched Threads