The Student Room Group

For current Russel Group Music BA undergrads- questions!

Hi there, I'm going to apply for music BA next year (not BMus) and I have been doing a lot of looking around. The current 2016 league tables for music and general are quite different (eg cambridge nb 1 generally in the good uni guide yet 12th in the same guide's music ranking)

Are any of you current undergrads in music who could explain how you find the course and what the quality of teaching is like? Is there a lot of flexibility/choice? How much keyboard harmony and general knowledge are you expected to know (not officially but what are most music students like- do they know crazy amounts of facts etc?)
What was the interview like/ was there an interview?
Generally how do musicians and classical music fit in the uni/ the city?

I'm particularly interested in
Cambridge,
Oxford,
Durham,
Bristol,
Newcastle,
Nottingham,
Southampton,
York,
Bangor

Thank you so much, your comments would be greatly appreciated! :smile:
hiya, I'm a music student at Nottingham! Nottingham is great, not much actual musical skills needed per se, but helps to have a general knowledge of analysing music, I don't have much knowledge of piano as I taught it myself. A lot of it is debating and essay related although there are modules that are more analysis based but I cant stand that and im no good at it haha!
Theres so much choice for modules so whatever you are in to there is something that you will enjoy :smile: The performance modules are also really good if you wish to do that and all the instrumental teachers are amazing! There's also tonnes to do outside of the degree in societies, I think i probably do more music stuff out side of my degree actually haha! but that's just because I like to get really involved with everything :smile:
anymore questions send them my way!

Quick Reply

Latest