What is your honest opinion of the U.S. government these days?

Watch
Snoring Bear
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
These days I am almost ashamed to say I am an American citizen with those damn drones killing over 300+ kids by mistake in countries they have no right to be and are always caught violating international laws. When I was a kid I was proud to be a yank. Today I look at Uncle Sam and see an 800 pound gorilla doing whatever he wants with no consideration for other countries and getting their way by brute force. Do Brits feel differently? Please don't worry about my feelings, my skin is thicker than an elephant's. Is America the world's bully in your eyes or what?
AspiringAwe
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
> I like how US has continued to build steady jobs for the economy and maintained low interests to encourage their people to spend/borrow.

> I hate how US continues to provide USD 5 billion in military aid to a first world nation whose objectives include massacre, invasion and child abuse.

Overall foreign policy is worse than it was and they should have performed better. Irreversible damages are already done by Obama. I do think there is a good candidate running for the next presidential election though.
GnomeMage
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
obama is not great but he is much better than bush
SotonianOne
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I think America is terrible, and is a world laughing stock. Obama just adds fire.

Obama after Bush after Clinton after Nixon have turned the US from looking like a freedom protector to a contagious disease. Stereotypes of America turned from the 'Top Gun' to the 'Walmart woman'.

Obama's opposition to Israel has earnt him hate from his greatest ally
Bush's failure in finances has earnt him hate from his other greatest ally
Obama's cancellation of missiles defences in Poland has earnt him hate for the other greatest allies.

America is in cow dung currently.

Hope Paul wins.
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Snoring Bear)
These days I am almost ashamed to say I am an American citizen with those damn drones killing over 300+ kids by mistake in countries they have no right to be and are always caught violating international laws. When I was a kid I was proud to be a yank. Today I look at Uncle Sam and see an 800 pound gorilla doing whatever he wants with no consideration for other countries and getting their way by brute force. Do Brits feel differently? Please don't worry about my feelings, my skin is thicker than an elephant's. Is America the world's bully in your eyes or what?
I think many ordinary Americans across the country are very good, decent and honorable people who are notable for their strong moral sense and commitment to human values.

Unfortunately, the workings of modern capitalism and the need to serve what appear, superficially anyway, to be the needs of a tiny percentage of very rich people at the top of the US social pyramid, have taken that goodness that most people have and twisted it at a governmental level and through the power and size of the US, to create a series of situations where instead of acting humanely, the role of the US has been to trample on many peoples, either killing them in large numbers, or oppressing them.

In the past, this was seen at its most acute in the horrible wars associated with the 'Cold War', particularly in Indo-China, where US military power murdered at least a million civilians as part of a false programme based on false, propagandistic and misleading war aims, hiding commercial and economic goals of corporations and bankers.

In the modern period, sustained support by the US for inhumane policies in Israel and in Arab oil states has created a tidal wave of anger and frustration at the street level in many countries, coupled with open warfare in parts of the Middle East that might have in some cases been avoided, or in others handled much better.

When the US military operates outside the country, it often ends up behaving very badly, due to a lack of proper training and briefing, the recruitment of soldiers who are themselves from urban environments with harsh social conditions in the US and a prevailing propaganda ethos amongst the military based on racist and colonialist attitudes.

At home, the US is in a deep crisis of late capitalism. The tax base has shrunk because big corporations and the very wealthy control Congress and ensure that their interests prevail. The result is inevitable: crumbling public infrastructure, increasing social strains and an isolated wealthy class increasingly displaced from real social contact and awareness of what matters.

As the US plays a dominant role in world affairs, the prevailing outlook is that the world social situation will continue to deteriorate, with further US-capitalist inspired wars, social unrest, deepening oppression and wealth gaps and excavation of earth resources to serve the interests of the 0.1%.

None of this is the fault of ordinary Americans as such and Americans are not bad people. It is the fault of a system, of capitalist structures and of the 'logical' development of superpower, militaristic and colonialist agendas that serve a very small group of people who constantly ensure that this fact is obscured and lied about.
KeriKG
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
just "these days" ?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
i couldn't disagree more. America is the last bastion of freedom against atheism and terror. Drones are the most appropriate tool for dealing with the cowardly terrorist scum who hide behind women and children. The operators do their utmost to avoid civilian casualties but some unfortunately occur.
LockheedSpooky
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Hussein Obama is a disaster. Countries around the world (apart from Iran) are literally counting down the days until he leaves.
kka25
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LockheedSpooky)
Hussein Obama is a disaster. Countries around the world (apart from Iran) are literally counting down the days until he leaves.
Elaborate please. I'm genuinely curious with his term.
Snoring Bear
Rep:
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This goes waaaaaay beyond any one official - even the President who does not call the shots anyway. The problem is systemic. Congress no longer has any allegiance to "We the people" and it seems the bully attitude prevails at every level of American government - "We get want we want by any means necessary whether those means are just, moral, ethical, legal - or not".
skunkboy
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
Uncle Sam should stop playing the Superman... for a while. He's now a super debtor. Also he should make his credit rating look a bit better.

Setting some nations by the ears is not good foreign policy now. Just selling arms to those nations can't solve the financial problems.

Every nation is my partner...not enemy. That's my foreign policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
A1112787
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The world loves to hate on American until they need us.

While Obama's presidency hasn't been the best, the U.S. is still critical to success and security throughout the world.
SotonianOne
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by A1112787)
The world loves to hate on American until they need us.

While Obama's presidency hasn't been the best, the U.S. is still critical to success and security throughout the world.
It has been the worst.

After Nixon and Buchanan. Obama should be charged for indirect treason.
LockheedSpooky
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by kka25)
Elaborate please. I'm genuinely curious with his term.
First of all he's deeply unpopular in America. He has a core support base, we don't have to elaborate too much on who the are, I think we know.

Secondly I read an article a couple of months back that said countries in the M.E in particular, but also elsewhere are counting down the days he leaves office, as they feel he's been a disaster with foreign policy.

Even countries like India just want to see the back of him, after he snubbed them in favour of his brethren in Pakistan and then when on a trip back to India, cut it short to go and mourn the death of the Saudi King.

Poland said something along the lines of American being "the worst ally anyone could have" - referring to Obama's policy. Not sure what they were pissed off about at the time, but Hussein Obama has pissed off a lot of allies, even us at stages (BP spill, Churchill bust, snubbing Gordon Brown etc)
SotonianOne
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LockheedSpooky)
Poland said something along the lines of American being "the worst ally anyone could have" - referring to Obama's policy. Not sure what they were pissed off about at the time,

(Original post by SotonianOne)
Obama's cancellation of missiles defences in Poland has earnt him hate for the other greatest allies.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_miss...plex_in_Poland
Bill_Gates
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
US is great i love what they do, what they have created and the way of life. But i'd hate to be apart of the US once it's on the decline/collapses. So far i'd say the best empire to date.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
The US has done a better job of dealing with austerity than Europe and should be credited accordingly. Additionally, the US supported the UK and France in Libya and is the only country remotely willing to put boots on the ground in Iraq and Syria.

That being said, Obama is potentially appeasing Iran and has done little to dissuade Russia.

Overall i think your approaching this from being too far left, the US is a great nation and far more willing to act for the best. Obama however while not an appeaser, seems to not fully have conviction over foreign policy.

I support drone strikes. Remember that Pakistan is a traitorous failed state that harbours terrorists and the US is only allies with it because they got nukes 30 years ago.
Protégé
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
I dislike the American government, horrible and deceptive foreign policy.
diamondkippers
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
When considering the drone strikes (especially in nations the US isn't at war with) and the mass invasion of privacy by the NSA, I don't think the Obama administration is any better than the Bush administration.
Dark Elixir
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Bill_Gates)
US is great i love what they do, what they have created and the way of life. But i'd hate to be apart of the US once it's on the decline/collapses. So far i'd say the best empire to date.
The best empire to date!? Please tell me you're joking!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (68)
32.69%
Yes - a trusted person (58)
27.88%
No (55)
26.44%
I'm not sure (27)
12.98%

Watched Threads