The Student Room Group

Will I get disqualified??

Hi,
Today we had our Edexcel maths exam and a phone went off during the hour and fourty five minutes but it wasn't mine. I had my phone in my bag at the back of the hall and it was switched off and on silent, and I didn't have any access to it because I never left my seat during the exam. The invigilators confiscated 'suspicious' bags and mine was one of them and at the end of the test they made me take it out and show them that I had a phone. There was about 10 of us that had 'suspicious' bags and it was not our phones.

Afer this they made us write a statement to Edexcel saying what had happened and that my phone was off the whole time and it wasn't my phone that rang. I just wanted to know if this can lead to disqualification?

I don't know if I'll get disqualified for this but my teacher said that I might get off with a warning. Please help!

Thank you.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think that you may :-(

its all up to the board to decide...
Yeah but like 10 other people got in trouble for having their phones in their bag too? Will this have an effect
Original post by dylanbharadia
Hi,
Today we had our Edexcel maths exam and a phone went off during the hour and fourty five minutes but it wasn't mine. I had my phone in my bag at the back of the hall and it was switched off and on silent, and I didn't have any access to it because I never left my seat during the exam. The invigilators confiscated 'suspicious' bags and mine was one of them and at the end of the test they made me take it out and show them that I had a phone.

Afer this they made us write a statement to Edexcel saying what had happened and that my phone was off the whole time and it wasn't my phone that rang. I just wanted to know if this can lead to disqualification?

I don't know if I'll get disqualified for this but my teacher said that I might get off with a warning. Please help!

Thank you.

I highly doubt you will be disqualified for this offence, disqualifications are normally for if you actually had the phone on your person, since you had a phone in a bad turned off and on silent, and it was not your phone that rung, I would appeal if you got any form of punishment form the examinations board.
Reply 4
That's why I don't take my phone to exams if possible.

If the person who's phone it was owns up then it's unlikely, but if they don't it's possible you will get disqualified, along with the others

Posted from TSR Mobile
hopefully none of you get disqualified, but i heard that edexcel are very strict with these things :frown:...
Reply 6
But if you do get punished make sure you appeal, I'm sure your network provider can prove no one called you during the exam of it was a phone call.. But then it's hard to tell if it was the person's alarm or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
it could have also been a whatsapp or snapchat which could be deleted, so they might not let you off...

Original post by Jitesh
But if you do get punished make sure you appeal, I'm sure your network provider can prove no one called you during the exam of it was a phone call.. But then it's hard to tell if it was the person's alarm or not

Posted from TSR Mobile
You should know that this is a very sensitive situation and disqualification will not be easily decided without clear evidences (as it affects significantly to candidates). I think that they will understand what happened to you and the others then disqualify who really deserves that. You shouldn't keep worrying too much and focus on your next exams. Remember that you did nothing wrong, good luck :smile:
dont worry about it... if you fail it, fail it in peace :biggrin:
Reply 10
Just hope the person admits up. Do you know who it was,without speculating ?
I think they can penalise marks instead as well

Posted from TSR Mobile
I wouldn't worry about it too much honestly. What's done is done, and you can't change that. Besides, I don't they have grounds to disqualify you!

You made sure that every electronic device you had was turned off, and took the exam honestly. It was just unfortunate that your bag was near someone who left their phone on (and lets face it, disqualification because you put your bag near someone who forgot to turn of their phone is a bit silly).

My advice. Don't worry! Edexcel know that their choice to disqualify can cause a lot of stress, and quite a bit of trouble for some students, They won't disqualify an honest student
[QUOTE=Jitesh;56563621]Just hope the person admits up. Do you know who it was,without speculating ?
I think they can penalise marks instead as well

Posted from TSR MobileNo I don't know who it was because like 100 other people had their phones but the invigilators didn't realise and they got let out
Reply 13
Jw did the invigilators pick the bags whilst it was ringing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jitesh
Jw did the invigilators pick the bags whilst it was ringing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

no they did it afterwards
Reply 15
no
Reply 16
If the situation is as you describe, then Edexcel has absolutely no grounds for disqualifying you. End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
If the situation is as you describe, then Edexcel has absolutely no grounds for disqualifying you. End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well said :smile:
however in my college if your phone goes of you ''forfeit'' your exam and get ''0'' apparently.
is this a 'disqualification'?- and is this allowed technically?
ty
[QUOTE=Krollo;56600101]If the situation is as you describe, then Edexcel has absolutely no grounds for disqualifying you. End of.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks that's reasurring haha
[QUOTE=demigawdz;56601591]Well said :smile:
however in my college if your phone goes of you ''forfeit'' your exam and get ''0'' apparently.
is this a 'disqualification'?- and is this allowed technically?
ty It wasn't my phone that went off, it was someone else's and they confiscated bags and I have proof that my network provider can show that it was not my phone and they found the culprit

Quick Reply

Latest