Define thermodynamic stability and kinetic inertness. Watch

Fatima SJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Could someone please describe thermodynamic stability and kinetic inertness in simple words according to A level chemistry as its mentioned in the specification.
Please clearly mention the difference between the two.
hayden0101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thermodynamic Stability- All down to Ssystem and Ssurroundings (Total Entropy change)- the entropy changes mean that the reaction can occur spontaneously
Positive Entropy change = Reactants are said to be thermodynamically unstable relative to products
Negative entropy change= Reactants are said to be thermodynamically stable relative to products, the entropy of system and surroundings mean that the reaction will not occur spontaneously/ will be feasible.

Kinetic Stability emphasises that whilst a reaction might be thermodynamically feasible, the activation energy barrier for the molecules to react might be too high for the reaction to proceed.
So you might have to add large amounts of heat ( for example a decomposition reaction you may calculate that the Total Entropy change favours the reaction at say 298K, but in reality, you know for a fact that decomp reaction involvess large amount of heat etc)

If applying the same thing mentioned before with thermodynamic stability
High EA = Reactants = kinetically stable relative to products
Low Ea = Reactants = kinetically unstable relative to products

It helps to visualise when say 'relative' like you would when you draw an enthalpy diagram
Hope it helps man sorry for the long winded para
Fatima SJ
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by hayden0101)
Thermodynamic Stability- All down to Ssystem and Ssurroundings (Total Entropy change)- the entropy changes mean that the reaction can occur spontaneously
Positive Entropy change = Reactants are said to be thermodynamically unstable relative to products
Negative entropy change= Reactants are said to be thermodynamically stable relative to products, the entropy of system and surroundings mean that the reaction will not occur spontaneously/ will be feasible.

Kinetic Stability emphasises that whilst a reaction might be thermodynamically feasible, the activation energy barrier for the molecules to react might be too high for the reaction to proceed.
So you might have to add large amounts of heat ( for example a decomposition reaction you may calculate that the Total Entropy change favours the reaction at say 298K, but in reality, you know for a fact that decomp reaction involvess large amount of heat etc)

If applying the same thing mentioned before with thermodynamic stability
High EA = Reactants = kinetically stable relative to products
Low Ea = Reactants = kinetically unstable relative to products

It helps to visualise when say 'relative' like you would when you draw an enthalpy diagram
Hope it helps man sorry for the long winded para
So the more energy the reactants have the more unstable they become?
thanks alot
hayden0101
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
don't take the energy (enthalpy) so literally, i only mentioned it as it's a nice way of comparing the reactants to the products using thermodynamic stability.
Just apply the 4 points i gave you i an exam and you'll be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (149)
18.53%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (79)
9.83%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (136)
16.92%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (114)
14.18%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (79)
9.83%
How can I be the best version of myself? (247)
30.72%

Watched Threads