The Student Room Group

AQA Maths Linear, 4th June (Non-Calculator)

So all the other threads seem to be different specs...did anyone sit this paper? Some of the questions were about trapezium's length and if an area of circle or rectangle was bigger!
Any answers? How did you find it?
I got the trapezium length: 8cm and the circle was bigger!
Reply 2
Yeah trapezium was 8 because you could construct a triangle from the trapezium and use Pythagoras to do square root of 64 which is 8
I managed to get 8cm for the trapezium but I didn't use Pythagoras, I just didn't realise that's what it was! I answered the question by making my own scale, measuring each side and comparing it against real life cm and I got 8 in the end. Do you think I'll still get all four marks even though I didn't use the right method?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by sarahjoireman
I managed to get 8cm for the trapezium but I didn't use Pythagoras, I just didn't realise that's what it was! I answered the question by making my own scale, measuring each side and comparing it against real life cm and I got 8 in the end. Do you think I'll still get all four marks even though I didn't use the right method?
So long as you showed working and your method is correct I don't see why not

Posted from TSR Mobile

So long as your method is right and understandable I don't see why not
For anyone wondering/worried about it, the last question was as follows:
a) (6x-5)(6x-5)=5x
36x^2 - 60x + 25 = 5x
36x^2 - 65x + 25 = 0

b) x = (65 +/- root (4225 - (4 x 36 x 25))) / 72
x = (65 +/- root(4225 - 3600)) / 72
x = (65 +/- root(625)) / 72
x = (65 +/- 25) / 72
x = 5/9 or 5/4
You then put each value into (6x-5). 5/9 gives a negative value, but since we are dealing in lengths, you cannot have a negative value. Therefore, the only possible solution for x is 5/4, which gives 2.5 in our expression.

Regards.
Reply 6
Did anyone else find that paper hard?!!!
Reply 7
Original post by QueenSI
Did anyone else find that paper hard?!!!

I thought it was difficult because you had to think a lot! But I did think it was okay... What did you struggle with?
Reply 8
Original post by Asder
I thought it was difficult because you had to think a lot! But I did think it was okay... What did you struggle with?

Quite a lot and I ran out of time so I didn't get to the last three. I just hope the calc paper is better cause this was a bad paper for me I think I'll probably get a C.
I found this paper awful
Reply 10
Original post by alaskalost
I found this paper awful

I agree it felt like a calculator paper! Awful!
the aqa foundation linear b was horrible :'(
yes really hard,I messed up on circle theorem,very annoyed with myself! From the other messages looks as though I did ok on Pythagoras and the circle. But found a lot of the questions mind boggling!
Anyone remember any answers to any of the other questions?
Reply 13
Original post by Rachael Fox
yes really hard,I messed up on circle theorem,very annoyed with myself! From the other messages looks as though I did ok on Pythagoras and the circle. But found a lot of the questions mind boggling!
Anyone remember any answers to any of the other questions?

There's an unofficial mark scheme up
Reply 14
Original post by Asder
There's an unofficial mark scheme up

Could you put the link to it on here please?
I found it really difficult as well, I didn't get to finish the last three questions!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please post unofficial mark scheme
Original post by Danp12366
Please post unofficial mark scheme

Hi can you pist ip the aqa foundation non calculator one

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending