AQA Biology GCSE Unit 1 5th June 2015 Watch

aadil10
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So the core biology exam is tomorrow, everyone ready for it?
Winterblogger
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually no Any predicitions
*SweaterWeather*
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This is just copied and pasted from the MyGCSEScience fb page, but it's pretty useful in case anyone hasnt seen it
Spoiler:
Show
B1 on Friday!This is a bit long because there are more past papers for unit 1s, but might be useful.If you read the 4 past paper exam reports up to June 2013 it would have helped you with 11 marks for the June 2014 paper.Here's a summary of the knowledge based questions (not exam technique or questions that need data).Remember, this is last minute drills not revision!So make some flash cards and test yourself on these!B1 Examiner’s reportsJan 12For the following examiners reports I’ve picked out only the stuff that half or many got wrong. It is knowledge errors only, not exam technique errors (which are usually ‘didn’t read the question properly’).So here goes:1. What is sexual reproductionAns: fusion or joining of egg and sperm cells or of gametes2. Why does the body fight off a disease more rapidly the second time it is infected?Ans: If reinfected antibody production is quicker or faster. NOT body knows what to do.3. Why is the biomass of plants higher than the biomass of insect 2Plants —> Insect 1 —> Insect 2Ans: Not all of the plant is digested by insect 1Loss of biomass in urineLoss of CO2 by insect 1Not all of insect 1 is eaten (this one is often forgotten)4. What word is used to describe a change in a geneAns: mutationJune 121. Why does a plant shoot bend towards light?Ans: More auxin on the dark sideMore growth of cells on the dark side2. Which part of a vaccine makes the body’s defence system respond?Ans: Antigens on a dead or weakened pathogen or bacteria or virus or microorganism.3. Why does a person not catch measles after being vaccinated?Ans: White blood cells or memory cells produce antibodiesQuickly (important to say quickly or faster than before).Antibodies kill or destroy the pathogen4. How can scientists produce a genetically modified organism using a gene from another organism.Remember, this is not a clone, this is genetically modified where a gene has been changed or added to an organism.Ans: Cut out the gene (not remove the gene)using enzymes.Transfer the gene to the embryo or egg cell of the new organism (not into the adult)4. Why might scientists be worried about making genetically modified organisms?Ans: Genes could transfer to different species.Might effect the food chain.5. Explain the changes in an organism when it adapts to a changes in the environment (e.g. larger beak size in birds because of a change in the food available).Ans: There is variation in beak size or a mutation occurs in beak sizeBirds with larger beaks better adapted for feeding.Birds with larger beaks more likely to survive.Birds with larger beaks reproduce and pass on the gene for larger beak.Jan 13Give an environmental factor that affects the growth of a plantAns: Temperature, light, minerals, space.
Not climate or weather or sun2. How is carbon dioxide returned to the air from dead organisms?Ans: microorganisms or decomposersdecompose or rot or break down the organism.Decomposers or micro-organisms respirereleasing carbon dioxide.3. What term is used to describe organisms that can survive in severe conditions?Ans: Extremophiles4. How do pathogens makes people feel ill?Ans: produce toxinsDestroy body cells5. How do white blood cells protect the body?Ans: Engulf or ingest microorganisms.Produce antitoxins.Produce antibodies.6. Why does a measles vaccination not protect against another disease?Ans: Antibodies are specific to one antigen or because different antibodies needed.June 131. What is metabolic rate?Ans: Rate of chemical reactions in the body2. What are the features of asexual reproduction?Ans: No gametes (sec cells).One parent only.No mixing of DNA.Genetically identical offspring.3. What is a drug?Ans: A substance that affects chemical reaction in the body or body chemistry.4. Natural selection came up for the third time (see point 5 for from June 12)June 141. Adaptations to hot conditions in plants and animals.Remember camel humps do not contain water (they contain fat which can release energy and water when broken down).Large ears on elephants are for increased heat loss by radiation of heat energy not for ‘keeping cool’. (same thing I know but important to say how they keep body cool)2. Remember that decomposition of plants releases heat energy by respiration (NOT 'produces' heat energy).3. The MMR vaccine is for?Ans: Measles, mumps and rubella4. What causes a person to become dependent on a drugAns: Changes to chemical processes in the body. Not addiction.5. Natural selection appears for the fourth time out of five past papers.
PawanAviator
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah , Im not ready since I haven't actually learn't B1 yet. Doing it today , although the 6 marker In my opinion will either be :

- Co-ordination and Control
- Drugs
- Evaluation of Compost (Most likely)
- Evolution

Why?

June 2014 - Adaptations(Chapter 4)

January 2014 - Defence Mechanisms(Chapter 1)

June 2013 - Carbon Cycle (Chapter 5)

January 2013 - Agar Jelly (Chapter 1)

June 2012 - Adaptations (Chapter 4)
navb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
what topics are you revising?
HarunH1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm having a skim through my notes and watching mygcsescience, I'll probably do some past papers and thoroughly go through them tonight ;D
DTonesXD
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PawanAviator)
Yeah , Im not ready since I haven't actually learn't B1 yet. Doing it today , although the 6 marker In my opinion will either be :

- Drugs
- Evolution

Why?

what do you mean by "Evaluation of Compost" ?
HarunH1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DTonesXD)
I think what they is what conditions affect the growth of plants like temperature, water, nutrients, moisture, surroundings etc...
abiantoinette
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kinda scared to be honest, Biology isn't a strong point and I hate the way AQA marks the papers
HarunH1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by abiantoinette)
Kinda scared to be honest, Biology isn't a strong point and I hate the way AQA marks the papers
OCR is way worse ;D, and you can make up for it with chem and physics
Smile Generator
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you think the paper tomorrow will be like the 2014 paper or the earlier papers because i found the 2014 to have less on evaluating graphs whereas in 2013 e.t.c there were quite a lot of mark for interpreting data?
PawanAviator
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by DTonesXD)
which one is better. Like the B3 6 marker this year , on the evaluation of hearts
DTonesXD
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by HarunH1)
I think what they is what conditions affect the growth of plants like temperature, water, nutrients, moisture, surroundings etc...
ah ok, that should be fine. Thanks
lokolika
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can someone write a quick six mark bullet pointed list about evolution and response?
Zainab.lmao
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Smile Generator)
Do you think the paper tomorrow will be like the 2014 paper or the earlier papers because i found the 2014 to have less on evaluating graphs whereas in 2013 e.t.c there were quite a lot of mark for interpreting data?
For additional science there were quite a lot of graphs so maybe they might stick with the same thing and have graphs and information to interpret.
Smile Generator
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zainab.lmao)
for additional science there were quite a lot of graphs so maybe they might stick with the same thing and have graphs and information to interpret.
nooooooo
huzza
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
hey does anyone have the 2015 pixl gcse paper i need more practice thanks
Castro300
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by PawanAviator)

- Drugs
- Evolution

Why?

Where did you get january 2014 paper?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (13)
5.58%
No (220)
94.42%

Watched Threads