AQA History A2 "USSR 1941-1991" HIS3K June 2015 prediction

Watch
ekmad
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Anyone else doing this next week? For a bit of fun I decided to see what the past papers said so see if we could get a hint at what might come up.

The last time Brezhnev got a question was 2012 (and even then it was shared with Khruschev) which makes me think we'll get one about him. Thinking maybe something to with dissidence perhaps as that hasn't come up yet (only political opposition under Gorbachev and within the Party under Khruschev).

I'm tempted to say something about Gorbachev, he did get a question in 2013 but again it was political opposition. Perhaps a question on his personal qualities and leadership (So to what extent was he responsible for the collapse etc.)

Finally on the wider question I think it'll be on political stagnation or agriculture. The economy came up last year and industry came up the year before. 2012 had a question on political stagnation but it was based around fear of "Soviet fear of change".
No question has been on Agriculture as of yet (Atleast since 2012)

Anyway sorry about the block of text, what do you think/will hope will come up
ellsxxx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
B did come up last year, a whole question on his political stablity - I think maybe a q with stalin and k maybe, and a depth on g, and maybe dissidence/nationalism on the breadth
ekmad
Rep:
?
Did Brezhnev come up last year? Must have missed that. Any depth question on Stalin is good for me
Bethdwyer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
yeah Brezhnev did come up last year! I'm happy about that I don't like Brezhnev haha. Yeah I'd bet on Khrushchev or Gorbachev coming up. If it's Gorbachev it'll most likely be on the collapse. I hate those kind of questions though cause it kind of calls for breadth as well as depth knowledge!
Hard to predict the synoptic question - maybe about more social aspects?
ekmad
Rep:
?
Ah man that's good, I hate Brezhnev. So much to remember it's unreal, especially when compared to Krushchev or Gorbachev
becca1328
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey guys... I was looking through past papers too and I think a question on Khrushchev's fall from power is likely. It's never come up and its on the spec paper (think the actual Q is something like how far is destalinisation responsible for K's fall from power?) My guess is Gorbachev as well. Probably a break up of the USSR one as that hasn't come up since 2011
Pollllllllllllly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ekmad)
Did Brezhnev come up last year? Must have missed that. Any depth question on Stalin is good for me
Stalin came up last year too! But was about recovery after the war so hopefully this year will be something like to what extent was ... responsible for Soviet victory!
harryek
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
how many interpretations etc does everyone know/plan on learning? im so scared for this exam
harryek
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by becca1328)
Hey guys... I was looking through past papers too and I think a question on Khrushchev's fall from power is likely. It's never come up and its on the spec paper (think the actual Q is something like how far is destalinisation responsible for K's fall from power?) My guess is Gorbachev as well. Probably a break up of the USSR one as that hasn't come up since 2011

yeah i agree with this! the fall of k is mentioned lots in the spec or examiners reports... aaah i hope for the break up1
becca1328
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by harryek)
how many interpretations etc does everyone know/plan on learning? im so scared for this exam
I was worried about this too. I asked my teacher and she said you don't need to know that many interpretations to do well. She said as long as you have a debate in your answer and its not one-sided then that counts. I'm probably going to make sure I have a couple quotes from historians to throw in but apart from that I'm not really going into much depth about interpretations.
Pollllllllllllly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How would you answer a question like 'To what extent did the USSR achieve economic growth under the regimes of Khrushchev and Brezhnev?
becca1328
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pollllllllllllly)
How would you answer a question like 'To what extent did the USSR achieve economic growth under the regimes of Khrushchev and Brezhnev?
I answered this in a practice test we did. This is how I structured it:

Intro- judgement= little economic growth under K and B

Paragraph 1- Khr Industry
1) Decentralisation led to Bureaucratic Obstructionism which hindered economic growth by preventing further successful reform
2)7th 5yr Plan - failed to meet targets and resources not diverted to right places- led to corruption and economic decline
3) spending in other areas e.g. military spending reaching 30% and Space Race- badly affected industry and consumer goods in particular.

Paragraph 2- Khr agriculture
1)some small successes e.g. investment increased to 20%
2)But mostly decline eg. virgin lands

Paragraph 3- Brez Industry
1) decline drifted into stagnation- reversal of Khruschevs economic reforms
2) attempts to innovate and improve growth e.g. Kosygin reforms failed
3) growth hindered by corruption and black market (worth 20% GNP)
4) some growth e.g. in oil and discovery of 357 million tonnes in Siberia.
5) however military spending still high and invasion of afghanistan meant that resources were diverted to armaments etc. Which haltered growth in other areas.

Paragraph 4- Brez Agriculture
1) again increase in investment led to USSR becoming largest wheat producers etc.
2) however reluctant to raise prices to regulate demand and so huge shortages and so importation of grain from USA continued.
3) Overall agric. Output declined to 0.8 %

I did ok in this essay. Another way of structuring it would be to do industry under khrushchev and Brezhnev and then Agriculture which is probably a better way of doing it. Hope this helped
Pollllllllllllly
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I answered this in a practice test we did. This is how I structured it:

Intro- judgement= little economic growth under K and B

Paragraph 1- Khr Industry
1) Decentralisation led to Bureaucratic Obstructionism which hindered economic growth by preventing further successful reform
2)7th 5yr Plan - failed to meet targets and resources not diverted to right places- led to corruption and economic decline
3) spending in other areas e.g. military spending reaching 30% and Space Race- badly affected industry and consumer goods in particular.

Paragraph 2- Khr agriculture
1)some small successes e.g. investment increased to 20%
2)But mostly decline eg. virgin lands

Paragraph 3- Brez Industry
1) decline drifted into stagnation- reversal of Khruschevs economic reforms
2) attempts to innovate and improve growth e.g. Kosygin reforms failed
3) growth hindered by corruption and black market (worth 20% GNP)
4) some growth e.g. in oil and discovery of 357 million tonnes in Siberia.
5) however military spending still high and invasion of afghanistan meant that resources were diverted to armaments etc. Which haltered growth in other areas.

Paragraph 4- Brez Agriculture
1) again increase in investment led to USSR becoming largest wheat producers etc.
2) however reluctant to raise prices to regulate demand and so huge shortages and so importation of grain from USA continued.
3) Overall agric. Output declined to 0.8 %

I did ok in this essay. Another way of structuring it would be to do industry under khrushchev and Brezhnev and then Agriculture which is probably a better way of doing it. Hope this helped
Thank you that is very, very useful!
ekmad
Rep:
?
Oooh fall of Khrushchev would be a good one. Just reviewing my notes and the breadth question would be nice if it was about social things or living standards, these figures stick out in my head more than whatever million of tons of Grain were produced in 1956
(I think because some of them are crazy, 50% divorce rate, 40% of which were due to alcohol abuse. Mad)
becca1328
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ekmad)
Oooh fall of Khrushchev would be a good one. Just reviewing my notes and the breadth question would be nice if it was about social things or living standards, these figures stick out in my head more than whatever million of tons of Grain were produced in 1956
(I think because some of them are crazy, 50% divorce rate, 40% of which were due to alcohol abuse. Mad)

Yeah a social one would be good. Although it depends on the years because I don't really know what I'd write for Gorbachev and social stuff... I have like nothing on that in my notes :/.
harryek
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Yeah a social one would be good. Although it depends on the years because I don't really know what I'd write for Gorbachev and social stuff... I have like nothing on that in my notes :/.
for society i guess you could just write about the republics all splitting off, noone being satisfied with gorbachev's rule... also there was still lots of issues with alcohol due to the alcohol decree in 85- made him known as 'mineral water general secretary'
becca1328
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by harryek)
for society i guess you could just write about the republics all splitting off, noone being satisfied with gorbachev's rule... also there was still lots of issues with alcohol due to the alcohol decree in 85- made him known as 'mineral water general secretary'
Ooooh ok thank you
What about Glasnost? I never know what that comes under... Like is it classified as political? Or I guess cultural? Haha I don't know :/
ellsxxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Noticed nothing really on social/culture in the breadth - would be great if there was!!!!!!!!
ekmad
Rep:
?
Ooooh ok thank you
What about Glasnost? I never know what that comes under... Like is it classified as political? Or I guess cultural? Haha I don't know :/
Glasnost basically openness about everything, Gorbachev meant it to be political to promote participation (this is what we are doing and why) however it very quickly under Yakovlev became cultural. In the end Gorbachev in 1990 attempted to reinstate State censorship on cultural things though
harryek
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Ooooh ok thank you

yeah thats true, glasnost is cultural too- they all got a lot more freedom which further led to them all wanting to separate and get rid of gorbachev!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (120)
28.1%
No - I have already returned home (57)
13.35%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (84)
19.67%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.37%
No - I live at home during term anyway (126)
29.51%

Watched Threads