G98
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Have created this thread so answers can be posted and so people can discuss the exam
ibrahimyusuf
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
it was a good exam
G98
Rep:
?
(Original post by ibrahimyusuf)
it was a good exam
I agree, although I think paper one was a bit easier. The fact the exam wasn't too bad unfortunately means higher grade boundaries though. What grade do you think you'll get overall.
jamesalsbury
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
I agree, although I think paper one was a bit easier. The fact the exam wasn't too bad unfortunately means higher grade boundaries though. What grade do you think you'll get overall.
A* most probably. The circle theorems and the last question were the trickiest, what did you get for those?
G98
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesalsbury)
A* most probably. The circle theorems and the last question were the trickiest, what did you get for those?
I felt like I've probably got an A* or if not an A. For the last question I got 2.79 to 2.d.p. but I didn't even attempt any of the circle theorem questions as I didn't have enough time. What did you get for the quadratic formula question-I got 4.13 to 2d.p.
jamesalsbury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
I felt like I've probably got an A* or if not an A. For the last question I got 2.79 to 2.d.p. but I didn't even attempt any of the circle theorem questions as I didn't have enough time. What did you get for the quadratic formula question-I got 4.13 to 2d.p.
The last question was 3.4 to 1d.p. but it took me absolutely ageees, the circle theorems were tricky, don't think i got all of them. The last circle theorem was trigonometry in disguise. Yeah that quadratic one's right, the answers were 4.13 and -7.13
G98
Rep:
?
The last question was 3.4 to 1d.p. but it took me absolutely ageees, the circle theorems were tricky, don't think i got all of them. The last circle theorem was trigonometry in disguise. Yeah that quadratic one's right, the answers were 4.13 and -7.13

okay, thanks. I'm not sure you had to the quadratic formula for the plus or minus though as it was only worth three marks, but there again it's better to be safe than sorry. How did you get 3.4 to 1d.p. The question also asked to give your answer to 2 decimal places.

I did (1/3*pi*r2*h) + (pi*r2*h)=245cm3

so r2= 245/ (1/3*pi*h) + (pi*h)

so r= square root 245/ (1/3*pi*h) + (pi*h)
jamesalsbury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
okay, thanks. I'm not sure you had to the quadratic formula for the plus or minus though as it was only worth three marks, but there again it's better to be safe than sorry. How did you get 3.4 to 1d.p. The question also asked to give your answer to 2 decimal places.

I did (1/3*pi*r2*h) + (pi*r2*h)=245cm3

so r2= 245/ (1/3*pi*h) + (pi*h)

so r= square root 245/ (1/3*pi*h) + (pi*h)
Go on to; http://www.mathpapa.com/algebra-calculator.html

And type this '(π*r^2*5.4)+(π*(1/3)*r^2*4.2)=245' into the search bar, the answer is 3.38.

I don't remember it saying to 2 decimal places but it's only one mark lost if it did, thank you anyway.
G98
Rep:
?

And type this '(π*r^2*5.4)+(π*(1/3)*r^2*4.2)=245' into the search bar, the answer is 3.38.
I don't remember it saying to 2 decimal places but it's only one mark lost if it did, thank you anyway.
Thanks, I must have made some really daft mistakes on that question. I'm not sure if I put the wrong values in but got the rest of the equation right or nearly right. Great resource by the way.
G98
Rep:
?

Also, what did you get for the question which asked for all the possible solutions for sin x=-829 or something like that
jamesalsbury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
Also, what did you get for the question which asked for all the possible solutions for sin x=-829 or something like that
It seems like you knew the method but just made some silly mistake in there so i'm sure you'll get 4/5 on that one. I'm glad the sin graph was on the calculator paper, it's so much easier with a calculator, I got x = 236 and x= 304
G98
Rep:
?
It seems like you knew the method but just made some silly mistake in there so i'm sure you'll get 4/5 on that one. I'm glad the sin graph was on the calculator paper, it's so much easier with a calculator, I got x = 236 and x= 304
Same, I was so glad there was a calculator. I know I drew the sin graph right, but I didn't have a clue to work out the possible solutions to this equation. I'm sure the teacher never went through this with us, but anyway I just assumed the answer was 90 because sin 90 equalled 1 which would give the same answer as -829 or whatever it was when it was multiplied. How did you work this out.
jamesalsbury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
Same, I was so glad there was a calculator. I know I drew the sin graph right, but I didn't have a clue to work out the possible solutions to this equation. I'm sure the teacher never went through this with us, but anyway I just assumed the answer was 90 because sin 90 equalled 1 which would give the same answer as -289 or whatever it was when it was multiplied. How did you work this out.
Trial and error. From my graph I knew the answer was between 180 and 270 so I tried all the values from 180 to 236 until I got the right one. Then 270-236 = 34 and I knew there was always a pattern so 270+34 = 304 so my two answers were 304 and 236. After i'd got the answers on the calculator I just drew lines on the graph to look like i'd read off the graph.
G98
Rep:
?
Trial and error. From my graph I knew the answer was between 180 and 270 so I tried all the values from 180 to 236 until I got the right one. Then 270-236 = 34 and I knew there was always a pattern so 270+34 = 304 so my two answers were 304 and 236. After i'd got the answers on the calculator I just drew lines on the graph to look like i'd read off the graph.
Thanks so much, I get it now. What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be this year?
jamesalsbury
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G98)
Thanks so much, I get it now. What do you reckon the grade boundaries will be this year?
Excellent. And i think overall the papers were about the same difficulty as normal so i'd expect 140/145 for an A*, 115/120 for an A, 100 for a B, 75/80 for a C
G98
Rep:
?
Excellent.

And i think overall the papers were about the same difficulty as normal so i'd expect 140/145 for an A*, 115/120 for an A, 100 for a B, 75/80 for a C
Thanks, I was a bit unsure what the grade boundaries would be because all the November past papers I found harder, whereas the June ones I found easier, although the November ones are meant to be easier. The June A* mark was always usually around the 135 mark in the past papers. Hopefully I'm not something pathetic like a mark or two of an A*. Anyway good luck with your results

Also what did you get for the question which I think you had to use the cosine rule for and how did you do it-don't think I did well on this one.
JWKLA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Paper was sooo easy lol. Plus I'm in yr 10 lol
JWKLA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also what did you get for the question which I think you had to use the cosine rule for and how did you do it-don't think I did well on this one.,
It was 1/2 ab sinc. Then you used the sine rule
JWKLA
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
"The June A* mark was always usually around the 135 mark" < out of 200 ?
G98
Rep:
?
(Original post by JWKLA)
Also what did you get for the question which I think you had to use the cosine rule for and how did you do it-don't think I did well on this one.,
It was 1/2 ab sinc. Then you used the sine rule
okay, thanks. I did 1/2 ab sinc but than I did Pythagoras to get another side than I did the cosine rule. I think I've made a few stupid mistakes on this paper. What mark & grade do you reckon you're going to get overall.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (588)
34.07%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (714)
41.37%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (345)
19.99%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.58%

Watched Threads