The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE Maths foundation linear A paper 1, impossible question???!!!!!!!

One of the questions, involving pencil and pen packs being bought to be distributed to people at a conference, did not seem possible to answer!

There was no way to calculate it.

Did anyone else have this issue? Or am I just dumb?
Reply 1
Common multiple... 40 80 120
15 30 45 60 75 90 105 120

3 packs of pencils 8 packs of pens
Original post by Kurtbreak
One of the questions, involving pencil and pen packs being bought to be distributed to people at a conference, did not seem possible to answer!

If you're doing Foundation Tier maths, probably the latter.

the answer was 3 and 8.

You had to find a number that both would fit into. (120)- If remember correctly, and then once you found that you had to count how many times they both went into 120 and that was your answer.

It was on the higher paper too.
Reply 4
Original post by sjahavioli
the answer was 3 and 8.

You had to find a number that both would fit into. (120)- If remember correctly, and then once you found that you had to count how many times they both went into 120 and that was your answer.

Original post by sjahavioli
the answer was 3 and 8.

So thats it? There was no indication that there needed to be an equal number of pens and pencils, also no indication of the number of people at the conference.
Reply 5
So thats it? There was no indication that there needed to be an equal number of pens and pencils, also no indication of the number of people at the conference.

That's the point. You don't need to know how many people where there. And since the question said something along the lines of 'have gave 1 of each to everyone and had none left once he had', that's enough indication to know they were the same amount.

Then you find the common factor, so a number that they both go into. It was near the start on my higher paper
it was pretty self-explanatory that the number of pens and pencils would be equal if there were none left
Reply 7
Thanks. Great help. I think more likely the fact I want to get on with my life instead of wasting time trying to earn bragging rights.
Reply 8
Original post by Misora
That's the point. You don't need to know how many people where there. And since the question said something along the lines of 'have gave 1 of each to everyone and had none left once he had', that's enough indication to know they were the same amount.

Then you find the common factor, so a number that they both go into. It was near the start on my higher paper

Managed to check it again, makes more sense now although this option never even crossed my mind at the time. Seems no reason why the LCM would be the correct answer.
Managed to check it again, makes more sense now although this option never even crossed my mind at the time. Seems no reason why the LCM would be the correct answer.

Maths this year was VERY VERY word but as well very logical and straight foward, when you do exams think what its asking 1st then find what method I had to think myself and I was doing higher and aiming for A :P
It is an impossible question. Yes, 120 works, but so do higher multiples like 240, 360, 480, etc.
where in the Edexcel website would you find this
asap if you can please
ur just dumb

Quick Reply

Latest