JamesD-P
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I just did a practice essay for a 33 mark globalisation essay, I would appreciate if anyone could give me some feedback/improvements to make

Secularisation theory has argued that modernisation has undermined religion. The importance of science and technology on economic development and rational worldview on which they depend on are seen as destroying the belief in the supernatural. However, religion can contribute to development, but most recently, sociologists have examined what role religion may play in development in today's globalising world.

Nanda suggests that there is a rising urban middle class in India that still remain religious despite their economic development. Nanda found that Indians are becoming more religious and it is fashionable to be seen to do so. These new middle class Indians are attracted to once low-status village gods as they place more emphasis on the needs and welfare of the people. Their increased religiosity is a reaction to the uncertainty of their new found wealth. Religion still plays a huge part in their community as science and education are influenced by this.

In East Asia, the 'East Asian tiger economies' have successfully industrialised and are significant players in the global economy, therefore, the success of capitalism here has led some sociologists to argue that religion played a similar role to the role Calvinism played in 16th and 17th century Europe. Similarly, Berger argues that Pentecostalism in Latin America acts as a 'functional equivalent' to Weber's Protestant ethic.

However, Berger also underlines Weber's point that religious ideas alone are not enough to produce economic development, natural resources are also needed. This would explain the varied levels of religiosity between more economically developed and less economically developed countries.

Giddens argues that the growth of fundamentalism is a product and reaction to globalisation, which undermines traditional social norms concerning the nuclear family, gender and sexualtiy. Giddens argues the attraction of fundamentalism stems from their promise of truth and certainty in an uncertain world. This is similar to Bauman's argument that fundamentalism is a response to living in a postmodern world.

However, while fundamentalists detest modernity, they use modern methods to spread their beliefs, using the internet and e-mail for example.

Beckford criticises Giddens and Bauman on several grounds; they are fixated on fundamentalism, ignoring the affects of globalisation on non-fundamentalist religions, They distinguish too sharply between cosmopolitanism and fundamentalism, ignoring 'hybrid' movements and Giddens' description of fundamentalism being a defensive response to modernity is a modern, 'reflexative' action.

In conclusion, it is clear that religiosity differs in reaction to globalisation, however, there are other factors that need to be taken into account such as existing religiosity and economic state.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses.

I'm going to quote in She-Ra now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :yy:

Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by She-Ra)
x
manofhonor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i dreamed a dream
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20

How many uni open days have you been to/did you go to?

0 (65)
27.08%
1 (40)
16.67%
2 (40)
16.67%
3 (33)
13.75%
4 (16)
6.67%
5 (20)
8.33%
6 (6)
2.5%
7+ (20)
8.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise