The Student Room Group

D1 help

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65005-question-paper-unit-4736-01-decision-mathematics-1.pdf

4iv

Suppose that, instead, Simon wants to find the shortest route that uses every arc, starting from A andending at H.(iv) Which arcs does Simon need to travel twice? What is the length of the shortest route that he canuse?

What's the method to even do that?
Reply 1
I had a look but I'm really not sure. I'd really appreciate the help too, please :smile:
Original post by Parallex
http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/65005-question-paper-unit-4736-01-decision-mathematics-1.pdf

4iv

Suppose that, instead, Simon wants to find the shortest route that uses every arc, starting from A andending at H.(iv) Which arcs does Simon need to travel twice? What is the length of the shortest route that he canuse?

Original post by holly30
I had a look but I'm really not sure. I'd really appreciate the help too, please :smile:

This is a daft question, it's essentially trial and error. Try and only repeat the arcs which have the shortest lengths.
Reply 3
Ah, I thought it'd be one of those daft ones to be honest. That'd be one that I'd skip and come back to at the end if I had time.
Reply 4
Original post by holly30
Ah, I thought it'd be one of those daft ones to be honest. That'd be one that I'd skip and come back to at the end if I had time.

My thoughts exactly. :biggrin:

Stupid that questions like this even make it into a MATHS paper. It's trial and error like you said, no maths involved. :/
Original post by holly30

My thoughts exactly. :biggrin:

Stupid that questions like this even make it into a MATHS paper. It's trial and error like you said, no maths involved. :/

It's a bit like question 1-iii) on this paper I'm doing at the moment... although with my question you can use a bit of mathematics! Still a huge waste of time.
These are the questions I hate on D1! And oh finding immediate predecessors from a precedence table! Why is knowing that you should put down the tablecloth before you place a drink on the table is classed as maths I will never know
Original post by Crozzer24
These are the questions I hate on D1! And oh finding immediate predecessors from a precedence table! Why is knowing that you should put down the tablecloth before you place a drink on the table is classed as maths I will never know

I had a critical path analysis question on a past paper, about making breakfast... which activity should be started at the latest possible time?

Answer: Making coffee. So it doesn't get cold.

The examiners must be laughing when they set these.

**** off Simon you lazy ****, just turn on GPS on your phone and use Google Maps
Reply 9
Unlucky guys. Critical path etc is on D2 for OCR. ^^

Original post by lizard54142
This is a daft question, it's essentially trial and error. Try and only repeat the arcs which have the shortest lengths.

If you're starting at A and ending at H, then it doesn't matter that these two nodes have odd order. If it helps add an additional path going directly from A to H and assign it a high value - 1000 would do in this case - so that it would only be travelled once.

Now do the Chinese Postman again. But this time it's trivial, there are only two vertices of odd order, and the shortest route between them is 3.5. So add that to the total weigth of 67.5 and you're done.

You can discard the AH path you added since it would be part of one of two loops going through A, and you can order the loops so that that path would have been the last. So instead of traversing it, you stop at H as required.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest