The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (5th June Friday)

************************************[AQA BIOLOGY UNIT 1 EXAM 2015 5TH JUNE]************************************

Hey guys,

First of all, I just want to say good luck for tomorrow and get revising if you haven't :tongue:!
I would personally advise revising Auxin a lot.

However, this is the official general exam thread where you can post ANYTHING at all in regards to Biology Unit 1 (B1 AQA) :biggrin:

Good luck once again :smile:

Predictions of ANY kind would be appreciated (Topics, 6 Markers, Types of questions)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Also, if someone could move this to the Biology Exams section, I would be very appreciative :smile:
Reply 2
From reviewing past papers, I think the exam will be based on reviewing investigations rather than observing data.
Reply 3
i really should be worried about this exam since i've only started revising for it this afternoon, but i'm not worried that much since i've got an afternoon to revise before the exam tomorrow
after doing b3, b1 seems like a breeze
Reply 4
probably going to be something on evolution and the carbon cycle, as always..
my teachers did some question spotting for me and they said these are VERY likely to come up:

-the carbon cycle
-the menstrual cycle / ivf / the contraceptive pill (maybe even embryo transplant or adult cell cloning)
-preparing uncontaminated cultures - THIS MAY BE THE 6 MARK QUESTION
-indicator species (lichens ect)

they also mentioned tissue culture and cuttings, however they said it wasn't as likely to come up as the others.
Reply 6
Original post by alexas007
my teachers did some question spotting for me and they said these are VERY likely to come up:

-the carbon cycle
-the menstrual cycle / ivf / the contraceptive pill (maybe even embryo transplant or adult cell cloning)
-preparing uncontaminated cultures - THIS MAY BE THE 6 MARK QUESTION
-indicator species (lichens ect)

they also mentioned tissue culture and cuttings, however they said it wasn't as likely to come up as the others.

Thank you very much
Original post by Gankster
Lichens are a living indicator but what do they indicate again??

sulfur dioxide
Reply 8
Original post by alexas007
sulfur dioxide

thank you :3!!!!

btw, i would recommend watching 'freesciencelessons' on youtube (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqbOeHaAUXw9Il7sBVG3_bw/videos) , he condenses topics into 3 minute videos and I find him far better than mygcsescience
Reply 10
Original post by Gunjo
Thank you very much

What are the other indicators?
Reply 11
Original post by Asder

Lichens and Invertebrates
Reply 12
Original post by Gunjo

And invertebrates indicate what? Could someone explain the tissue sterilisation thing too please
Reply 13
Any predictions please
Original post by Asder

-stone fly nymphs, they require high levels of dissolved oxygen
-tubifex worms tolerate very LOW oxygen levels
Reply 15

I think the 6 MARK QUESTION could be on preparing uncontaminated culture mediums too! I just need to whiz through IVF and embryo screening and menstrual cycle but they are all pretty simple. We have also got until 12.15 tomorrow to revise!!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE WHO IS SITTING THIS EXAM X
Original post by Gunjo

how do you actually need to know about that though. I really dont think there is much to say about them apart from:

lichen=sulfur dioxide (air pollution/quality)
invertebrate=water quality/pollution
Reply 17
Original post by Wave_Rider99
how do you actually need to know about that though. I really dont think there is much to say about them apart from:

lichen=sulfur dioxide (air pollution/quality)
invertebrate=water quality/pollution

You don't need to know about certain ones, only what they indicate. (From Science Teacher)
Good luck everyone :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gunjo
************************************[AQA BIOLOGY UNIT 1 EXAM 2015 5TH JUNE]************************************

Hey guys,

First of all, I just want to say good luck for tomorrow and get revising if you haven't :tongue:!
I would personally advise revising Auxin a lot.

However, this is the official general exam thread where you can post ANYTHING at all in regards to Biology Unit 1 (B1 AQA) :biggrin:

Good luck once again :smile:

Predictions of ANY kind would be appreciated (Topics, 6 Markers, Types of questions)

Does anyone understand the menstrual cycle? i dont get how it works....

Quick Reply

Latest