The Student Room Group

*[B1] Official AQA Biology Unit 1 Exam (5th June Friday)

Scroll to see replies

ROGER Receptor
SMOKES Sensory
CRYSTAL CNS
METH Motor neurone
EVERYDAY Effector
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 41
Original post by Asder
And invertebrates indicate what? Could someone explain the tissue sterilisation thing too please

Invertebrates indicate how much pollution is in the water, either high or low. They may ask for the gas in the water and the gas is OXYGEN.
Original post by Aomar637
ROGER Receptor
SMOKES Sensory
CRYSTAL CNS
METH Motor neurone
EVERYDAY Effector

damn, that's actually REALLY helpful xDDDDDD
Original post by Wave_Rider99
Few things you need to know.

FSH produced in pituitary gland, stimulated maturation of egg
Oestrogen produced by ovary, inhibits FSH, stimulates LH, thickens lining of uterus
LH produced in pituitary Gland, release single matured egg into uterus/womb

Fertility drug (e.g IVF) contains FSH and LH
Contraceptive Drug contains Oestrogen and Progesterone however nowadays some only contain Progesterone as these have fewer side effects.

Hope this helps!! and good luck tomorrow

Wow that was a great explanation!
Any chance you or anyoneelse wants to revise with me, I really need a revision buddy as that's the wasy I learn.
Thank you x
Would I need to mention putting the petridish upside down in the incubator, to avoid condensation on the growing bacteria?
Original post by aomar637
roger receptor
smokes sensory
crystal cns
meth motor neurone
everyday effector

thank you, this is actually helpful :h
Original post by alexas007
Would I need to mention putting the petridish upside down in the incubator, to avoid condensation on the growing bacteria?

I honestly have no idea. It will not be required to get full marks but they may give you credit if it is a valid point
Original post by amy099_099
Wow that was a great explanation!
Any chance you or anyoneelse wants to revise with me, I really need a revision buddy as that's the wasy I learn.
Thank you x

Sorry I cant, im going out with my family (its my birthday!) If you have any questions though post them here and I can still answer them using my phone
Reply 48
V.Good except:

25C is not optimum, that would be 37C (used in lab). 25C is only for safety in school.
When applying culture, petri dish is open for as little time as possible to reduce chance of contaminating culture with unwanted bacteria from air. Same applies for the sample of bacteria.
Also, closed with tape to stop any unwanted bacteria getting in or for any of the culture to escape

Thanks for the help
Reply 49
Anybody wanna revise together?
I don't understand plant hormones... why are they used in agriculture and what are selective weedkillers? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cry2::cry2::cry2:
Reply 51
Original post by roshanmcdoshan
I don't understand plant hormones... why are they used in agriculture and what are selective weedkillers? :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::cry2::cry2::cry2:

The hormone in plants is auxin. you need to know that they are used as weedkillers and rooting hormones, nothing more or nothing less.
Original post by KK.Violinist
damn, that's actually REALLY helpful xDDDDDD

made that me self quiet proud of it
Original post by roshanmcdoshan

Weedkillers are a high does of auxin. growth too fast so weed dies
Reply 54
Original post by kickboxer 98
thanks that did help, but i thought IVF helped fertilization out of the body?

yeah it does. The egg(s) is removed form the womans womb and placed in a petri dish and then fertilized with the male sperm and the embryo is then implanted back into the woman's womb.
Reply 55
Original post by Gunjo
You don't need to know about certain ones, only what they indicate. (From Science Teacher)

lichen - Lichen are sensitive to the concentration of sulphur dioxide. The number of lichen in a particular location indicates how clean the air is.

If raw sewage is released into the river, bacterial pollution in water increases and uses up oxygen.

Some invertebrates such as mayfly larvae is found in the river which are sensitive to dissolved oxygen. If mayfly larvae is found in the river the river is clean.

Rat - tailed maggots and sludgeworms indicate a very high level of water pollution.
Can someone help me with tissue culture:s-smilie:
Reply 57
Environmental change detectors lichen - Lichen are sensitive to the concentration of sulphur dioxide. The number of lichen in a particular location indicates how clean the air is.

If raw sewage is released into the river, bacterial pollution in water increases and uses up oxygen.

Some invertebrates such as mayfly larvae is found in the river which are sensitive to dissolved oxygen. If mayfly larvae is found in the river the river is clean.

Rat - tailed maggots and sludgeworms indicate a very high level of water pollution.
Sorry I cant, im going out with my family (its my birthday!) If you have any questions though post them here and I can still answer them using my phone

Oh dw about it, go enjoy yourself, Happy Birthday! Thankyou hun !
I honestly have no idea. It will not be required to get full marks but they may give you credit if it is a valid point

thanks

Quick Reply

Latest