Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Esporta or Fitness First? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have experience of the Fitness First or Esporta gym and health chains, especially in regards to pricing, quality of service etc.?

On the face of it, both the gyms near me look more than capable of doing the job (and I ask you all because apparently, nationwide the branches within each chain are similar) - so it will most likely come down to price.

I want to join one in the summer (as the municipal ones near me are rather inept), just wondered whether people had any pointers...

Cheers.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Does anybody have experience of the Fitness First or Esporta gym and health chains, especially in regards to pricing, quality of service etc.?

On the face of it, both the gyms near me look more than capable of doing the job (and I ask you all because apparently, nationwide the branches within each chain are similar) - so it will most likely come down to price.

I want to join one in the summer (as the municipal ones near me are rather inept), just wondered whether people had any pointers...

Cheers.

x
    What are you looking for in a gym?

ReputationRep:

Cheers.

x
    go for fitness first - i work for esporta,, and to be quite honest, the service is shite. Maybe its just the one that i work at, but id steer well clear. Loads of people leave every month.

ReputationRep:
    fitness first dont tie you in to a 12 month contract. Plus they also have things like a free video library. Dont know anything about the other gym.

Only thing about Fitness First (well the one in Manchester) is they have set their maximum members level too high and so it can get very busy at peak times.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for the responses everybody.

What are you looking for in a gym?
    Somewhere with decent facilities (a pool would be nice). I don't mind paying for the lowest level membership (which I think is roughly £20-£30 pcm??). The websites for the said companies are notably reticent when it comes to the subscription costs though (especially Esporta).

I intend (all gym considerations start with good intentions ) to go fairly regularly, probably 3-4 times a week. And I can manage slotting into off-peak times (so I don't need to pay inflated peak membership fees).

The main discriminator will be cost and service, although I would happily go for the more expensive option if the service was better.

go for fitness first - i work for esporta,, and to be quite honest, the service is shite. Maybe its just the one that i work at, but id steer well clear. Loads of people leave every month.
    Thanks again for the response. The Esporta that I will potentially be enrolling at has just recently been built in a new leisure complex - and looks rather swish! I take on board your comments though and I think Esporta is likely to be the more expensive of the two (although they seem to have loads of 'free' additional classes on )
    What, in particular, makes the service at your Esporta really pants?

fitness first dont tie you in to a 12 month contract. Plus they also have things like a free video library. Dont know anything about the other gym.

Only thing about Fitness First (well the one in Manchester) is they have set their maximum members level too high and so it can get very busy at peak times.
    I suspect that Fitness First (in Birmingham) will have fairly high membership levels to, as it has been around for quite a few years (unlike Esporta). The flexible membership is appealing though.

If you don't mind, how much was your subs to FF and which subs band was it in?

I probably shouldn't mention this, but I have a mate who has been going to FF for quite a while, using his dad's membership card. Is this sort of thing easily identifiable (because, strangely enough, I look a lot like my dad)?

ReputationRep:
    I mean, what are your goals from using the gym?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imasillynarb)
    I mean, what are your goals from using the gym?
    To improve general stamina and upper body fitness in particular.
    To go there with 2-3 friends and get in to a regular pattern of going.
    To be coerced into regular intensive training simply because I've parted with hard earned cash.
    To become a better rugger player as a result of this.

ReputationRep:
    To improve general stamina and upper body fitness in particular.
    To go there with 2-3 friends and get in to a regular pattern of going.
    To be coerced into regular intensive training simply because I've parted with hard earned cash.
    To become a better rugger player as a result of this.
    To improve general stamina, run for as long as possible as fast as possible, when you cant run anymore, stop. Next time, do the same thing, but run a little further, keep doing this and it will improve your 'stamina' but I suspect youre probably looking for improved cardiovascular fitness, in which case I suggest just doing something like Interval training. Upper body strength - go to a decent weight lifting gym, not a fitnessfirst/esporta style gym.

If you need things to make you go, like going with friends, or using the whole 'Ive spent x amount of cash on this membership' then youre not motivated enough, and the fact that you go with friends or have spent money wont help.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough points made, have you been to a weights-specific gym?
    More to the point, aren't they full of muscle heads who could bench press half the population of John O' Groats?

I would much rather go somewhere accessible, especially if it will be frequented by the following:

• Women who retain an essence of curvature
    • The odd flabby corporate-type to make me look good

In all seriousness though, weights-centric gyms strike me as being a bit too hardcore. I suppose I want the wider experience that a multi-gym can offer.
    Your suggestions have been helpful though and I will take them on board in future decisions.

I guess it's rep time for you then - when I can give some out; any suggestions about diet while you're here?

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough points made, have you been to a weights-specific gym?
    More to the point, aren't they full of muscle heads who could bench press half the population of John O' Groats?

I would much rather go somewhere accessible, especially if it will be frequented by the following:

• Women who retain an essence of curvature
    • The odd flabby corporate-type to make me look good

In all seriousness though, weights-centric gyms strike me as being a bit too hardcore. I suppose I want the wider experience that a multi-gym can offer.
    Your suggestions have been helpful though and I will take them on board in future decisions.

I guess it's rep time for you then - when I can give some out; any suggestions about diet while you're here?
    Well, the gym I go to has just weights and weights machines, not a single piece of cardio equipment in there, I dont think theyre all like this though.

With regards to muscley people, theres not many believe it or not. To build muscle naturally takes a HELL of a long time, to look like arnie youd have to be spending 20+ years working out(maybe longer, and have freakish genetics) as well as a stupidly strict lifestyle. So, what you usually get are the odd steroid takes - these are the huge people, but Ive seen maybe 2 people who take steroids in 5 months of using the gym, so theyre rare. Then you get the decent naturals - people whove been working out for years and now have fairly big physiques - again, Ive only seen a few, then you get normal people whove got a few pounds of muscle and then theres the amateurs whove never been before. It can be quite daunting at first, but it only takes a few session to get used to - and people are a shitload nicer in the bodybuilding gym than other gyms ive been to.

The wider experience a multi-gym will offer? What they usually consist of is hundreds of different types of cardio machines, where people will spend 5 minutes on one, 5 minutes on the next, then go for a quick 5 minute swim to cool down. The 'weights' and 'weight machines' are pretty useless if you actually want to be putting any muscle on what so ever.

What do you want to know about diet?

ReputationRep:
    Considering I want to build on stamina and upperbody strength and I'm a fairly decent athlete (100m around 12.5), and that I eat fairly nutritious main meals (excluding lunch at school and the odd chinese/indian in the week).

What food(s) would you advise (that I can reasonably integrate into my existing diet and which aren't utter gruel) to achieve the aims mentioned?

ReputationRep:
    Considering I want to build on stamina and upperbody strength and I'm a fairly decent athlete (100m around 12.5), and that I eat fairly nutritious main meals (excluding lunch at school and chinese/indian in the week).

What food(s) would you advise (that I can reasonably integrate into my existing diet and which aren't utter gruel) to achieve the aims mentioned?
    Well, it really depends, to build muscle youll be needing alot of protein(1.5g for lb bodyweight) so...eggs...fish..lean meats..chicken etc

You wanna be eating 6 times a day, no more than 3 hours between meals, at least 40g of protein per meal. This is providing youre actually working out though, just eating lots of protein wont put on any muscle, to do cardio/increase stamina wont need any extra food to achieve your goals..

ReputationRep:
    Well, it really depends, to build muscle youll be needing alot of protein(1.5g for lb bodyweight) so...eggs...fish..lean meats..chicken etc

You wanna be eating 6 times a day, no more than 3 hours between meals, at least 40g of protein per meal. This is providing youre actually working out though, just eating lots of protein wont put on any muscle, to do cardio/increase stamina wont need any extra food to achieve your goals..
    Many thanks for the responses, it is much appreciated.

Six meals of relatively even nutritional content? Or breakfast (which incidentally I never have), lunch, dinner and three smaller feeds?

Have you ever had or would you recommend the Nourishment drink which comes in a can (in Banana flavour too ) and claims to be a separate meal in itself?

What kind of regime (if any) would you suggest for jogging, in terms of distance and number of times to go?

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for the responses, it is much appreciated.

Six meals of relatively even nutritional content? Or breakfast (which incidentally I never have), lunch, dinner and three smaller feeds?

Have you ever had or would you recommend the Nourishment drink which comes in a can (in Banana flavour too ) and claims to be a separate meal in itself?

What kind of regime (if any) would you suggest for jogging, in terms of distance and number of times to go?
    Even nutritional content 6 times a day is best, or, you can do 3 big meals, and have the protein shake in between meals(the nourishment drink you were talking about). Although protein shakes are just a supplment - its perfectly possible to get the necessary protein without them.

What are you hoping to achieve by jogging?!?

ReputationRep:
    Even nutritional content 6 times a day is best, or, you can do 3 big meals, and have the protein shake in between meals(the nourishment drink you were talking about). Although protein shakes are just a supplment - its perfectly possible to get the necessary protein without them.

What are you hoping to achieve by jogging?!?
    To improve stamina more than anything.

Cheers for the advice again.

ReputationRep:
    To improve stamina more than anything.

Cheers for the advice again.

Aside from the point:-
    *Having seen the pics of StrawberryKiss, Rob is beginning to regret his informal deal (with ?????) to refrain from depravity in the forums*
    Stamina comes with improved cardiovascular fitness really, do interval training, sprint for 30 seconds(as fast as possible) jog for 1 minute, spring for 30 secs, jog for a minute etc...and do this for 30 mins, over time reduce the amount of time youre jogging to say 30 sec sprint 50 sec jog etc...

ReputationRep:
    Stamina comes with improved cardiovascular fitness really, do interval training, sprint for 30 seconds(as fast as possible) jog for 1 minute, spring for 30 secs, jog for a minute etc...and do this for 30 mins, over time reduce the amount of time youre jogging to say 30 sec sprint 50 sec jog etc...
    Would doing the dreaded bleep test on a regular basis be a good (correction - beneficial) thing?

ReputationRep:
    Would doing the dreaded bleep test on a regular basis be a good (correction - beneficial) thing?
    As long as you get better everytime I imagine so..

ReputationRep:

Thanks again for the response. The Esporta that I will potentially be enrolling at has just recently been built in a new leisure complex - and looks rather swish! I take on board your comments though and I think Esporta is likely to be the more expensive of the two (although they seem to have loads of 'free' additional classes on )
    What, in particular, makes the service at your Esporta really pants?

Yeh esporta is very expensive, also you can't have part time membership, ie when you're at uni, or not at uni accordingly; had plenty of people leave in september fro that reason.

As for specific reasons, its more of a culmination of little things. eg's
    dirty glasses in the bar, tables not bein cleaned properly, lack of urgency in cleaning toilet and changing room mess; i couldnt put my finger on it, but it gets to a lot of people, we had a scathing letter written to us from a mother of a family whom all 5 were members, and duly left.

Its your choice, might be different at another branch, but I can only tell you waht i know

(Original post by Leeroy)
    Yeh esporta is very expensive, also you can't have part time membership, ie when you're at uni, or not at uni accordingly; had plenty of people leave in september fro that reason.

As for specific reasons, its more of a culmination of little things. eg's
    dirty glasses in the bar, tables not bein cleaned properly, lack of urgency in cleaning toilet and changing room mess; i couldnt put my finger on it, but it gets to a lot of people, we had a scathing letter written to us from a mother of a family whom all 5 were members, and duly left.

Its your choice, might be different at another branch, but I can only tell you waht i know
    Sounds just like my branch. The only reason anyone still goes is because they're the only place with indoor tennis courts.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 30, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.