The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Harry Potter
Sounds just like my branch. The only reason anyone still goes is because they're the only place with indoor tennis courts.

Chiswick by any chance?
Anyway my esporta branch is great, the staff are friendly (and attractive :smile:), the service is fine at its worst. However its only about 2-3 years old so its equipment is relatively new. I pay £25pcm but I think thats the student or U18 fee, normally its £65pcm. After shopping around my area I decided it was better than: David Lloyd, LA Fitness, Fitness First, Holmes Place and Canons.
Oh and Linford Christie's son is my instructor...which is nice.
Reply 21
can I just say, that joining a gym is very rewarding. I go to an all womens Gym with my best friend and we go nearly every day and it is so much fun! Mine costs $42 a fortnight but that includes gym use, classes (pliates, yoga, boxing etc) and diet consultation. But I love it!
Reply 22
jumpunderaboat
Chiswick by any chance?
Anyway my esporta branch is great, the staff are friendly (and attractive :smile:), the service is fine at its worst. However its only about 2-3 years old so its equipment is relatively new. I pay £25pcm but I think thats the student or U18 fee, normally its £65pcm. After shopping around my area I decided it was better than: David Lloyd, LA Fitness, Fitness First, Holmes Place and Canons.

Cheers for the responses everyone, I may ask for a good look around each place before signing on the dotted line. £25 pcm seems fairly reasonable and more or less the going rate, I should qualify for the discount too. I have to say I want to go for Esporta, not least because it has only been open for about 3 months.

Can I ask you, have you been to any of the classes that they have on, or more to the point, does the membership you have allow you to attend them free of charge?
Reply 23
Everdawn
can I just say, that joining a gym is very rewarding. I go to an all womens Gym with my best friend and we go nearly every day and it is so much fun! Mine costs $42 a fortnight but that includes gym use, classes (pliates, yoga, boxing etc) and diet consultation. But I love it!

Yay, glad you arrived because from the sound of it you can answer my question; what exactly do pilates classes involve?
Reply 24
mobbdeeprob
Yay, glad you arrived because from the sound of it you can answer my question; what exactly do pilates classes involve?

ok Pilates is kind of like Yoga but it stimulates different muscles that you dont normall use, the excercises involved reshape your body and tone parts that dont get any use. Its very relaxing.
Reply 25
Well I go to a gym called 'Greens' and use to go to Fitness First which offered similar services and classes (although not as good as Greens :tongue: )

Its really pointless joining a gym if your only looking for cardio improvement only as you may aswell just get outside and do some exercise and to improve Stamina you have to do interval training...if you say just jog for 30mins, thats all very nice but your never working at full capacity. I myself do some Interval training (when I'm not being lazy :tongue:).
If your interested in gaining core upper body strength, then your best way to talk to the people there who do weights, as in general the gym people don't have a clue (well perhaps not the personal trainers).

I also recently started going to alot of classes, because I get a bit bored just doing everything on my own with no one to give you extra motovation. I do a class called Body Pump (now imasillynarb will hate this :tongue:) which is basically a free weight class with a bar, that relies on the principle of low-medium level weights and high repetitions, working all the muscle groups in an hour...i've found this helpful for my strength...so you might look into classes like this. Other classes that I find good are Boxing (pushes your fitness to the limit at times), Circuits (weight/cardio - builds up endurance and makes you take that 'extra step), Pilates (mentioned above) and some streching classes for my flexiblity.

It all depends on what exactly you want - I find classes helpful as they kep me motivated (I got to classes 3-4 times per week, and the other 2-3 times I just do a normal workout). So, decide what you want and then have a look at both gyms equiptment, classes+times!
jumpunderaboat
Chiswick by any chance?

Croydon. I have to admit, it has been improving a bit recently, but I still think the service isn't up to scratch for what they charge.

mobbdeeprob
Can I ask you, have you been to any of the classes that they have on, or more to the point, does the membership you have allow you to attend them free of charge?

At my Esporta, pilates classes and a few others are free. However, I'm pretty sure that 90% of people who go to them are women, so you might feel a bit uncomfortable.
Reply 27
Harry Potter
Croydon. I have to admit, it has been improving a bit recently, but I still think the service isn't up to scratch for what they charge.

At my Esporta, pilates classes and a few others are free. However, I'm pretty sure that 90% of people who go to them are women, so you might feel a bit uncomfortable.

Any decent gym should be all free classes :/

And its great doing classes with all women :tongue:
Reply 28
corey
Any decent gym should be all free classes :/

And its great doing classes with all women :tongue:

Lol.. has anyone ever been to a spinning class - great fun!
Reply 29
zombie
Lol.. has anyone ever been to a spinning class - great fun!

VERY hard work :tongue:
Reply 30
I go to an Esporta club in Plymouth which I really like (except for the new menu... they've taken the healthier steak fries off the menu in place of fries, which i think is to standardise with all the other esporta clubs. I think its a conspiracy to make us put on weight so we feel the need to go more often, and then eat and drink more to increase their profits...). I've only just in the last few weeks discovered the studio classes (i had to do one for the New York trip promotion) and I really enjoy BodyBalance which is a combination of yoga, pilates and tai chi. Quite a few girls from school go too, so it's quite sociable!

Does anyone know what the esporta in Oxford is like? Hopefully will be off there in October, and don't know if its worth keeping my membership up or not. would be sad to leave though :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending