The Student Room Group

Skinny woman here! Tips on getting curves pls :-)

I've always been underweight. I'm currently 27yrs, 5'3 and weigh 40kg. I've never been above 7stones my whole life.

So I want to change this now. I have never been to the gym and am thinking of joining. Anyone recommend any exercises or diet tips to help me gain weight and achieve a curvy body?

I'm sick of being mistake for a child, happens every single time I meet anyone new smh

Oh and I'm not anorexic or unwell in any way, I think I just have fast metabolism :angry:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You'd probably need to change your diet and gain a bit of weight by eating more proteins and stuff. As for exercises, don't do cardio! It will make you lose more weight. You'll have to do exercises which focus on a particular muscle e.g. squats, planking etc. It will help you build muscle. A healthy diet and regular exercise should be enough to get you fit (but don't feel under pressure to have the 'perfect' body, be proud in your own skin. Only work out and change your diet to stay healthy :redface:)
Eat lots of BigMacs?
Watch TV 7 hours every day?
Wear loose clothes?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by iShaz_
You'd probably need to change your diet and gain a bit of weight by eating more proteins and stuff. As for exercises, don't do cardio! It will make you lose more weight. You'll have to do exercises which focus on a particular muscle e.g. squats, planking etc. It will help you build muscle. A healthy diet and regular exercise should be enough to get you fit (but don't feel under pressure to have the 'perfect' body, be proud in your own skin. Only work out and change your diet to stay healthy :redface:)

Thanks :smile: I just want to look older tbh, most teens I know look more womanly than I do and it doesn't help my self esteem. It's not to impress anyone but just reduce the times I'm told I look over 10yrs younger than I am. Ofc I'm also hoping it will make me healthier too. I've heard exercise makes people happier and I'm hoping that will be the case for me.

How often is regular exercise, is it an everyday thing? And when you say eat more proteins, what particular food would u recommend? Sorry if I sound dumb, everything is new to me when it comes to fitness. I had to google 'cardio' after what u wrote :colondollar:

I was hoping to get on the treadmills as they look fun but I'm guessing it will make me lose weight?
You'd have to start by changing your diet. Whilst you want to gain a bit of weight to have curves you also have to be careful not to gain unnecessary weight in the wrong areas. You need to have a diet high in fibre and protein, and you should also aim for having an intake of at least 1500-2000 calories per day, this depends on metabolism or how active you are of course. You can start to add a bit more calories if you're not seeing a noticeable difference after about 2-4 weeks though.

Eat whatever you want but don't stuff yourself with fatty foods and go by the calorie guide. Also drink a lot of water! It will help.

Physically, I recommend doing squats regularly and using dumbbells with it when you can. Also dancing as a way of working out helps. Get many hours of sleep as well when you can, to help your muscles.

When it comes to fashion, avoid wearing black standard clothes too, black is a slimming colour. Wear bright colours as this could accentuate your figure. Good luck with it all! :h:
Reply 5
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Eat lots of BigMacs?
Watch TV 7 hours every day?
Wear loose clothes?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Eat lots of takeaway
Don't exercise
I do wear loose clothing

Pretty much do what u said, looks like I'm screwed then...:tongue:
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
You'd have to start by changing your diet. Whilst you want to gain a bit of weight to have curves you also have to be careful not to gain unnecessary weight in the wrong areas. You need to have a diet high in fibre and protein, and you should also aim for having an intake of at least 1500-2000 calories per day, this depends on metabolism or how active you are of course. You can start to add a bit more calories if you're not seeing a noticeable difference after about 2-4 weeks though.

Eat whatever you want but don't stuff yourself with fatty foods and go by the calorie guide. Also drink a lot of water! It will help.

Physically, I recommend doing squats regularly and using dumbbells with it when you can. Also dancing as a way of working out helps. Get many hours of sleep as well when you can, to help your muscles.

When it comes to fashion, avoid wearing black standard clothes too, black is a slimming colour. Wear bright colours as this could accentuate your figure. Good luck with it all! :h:

Is this how you got that fine arse of yours?

serious question btw lol.
Reply 7

Thank u! This is amazing advice :smile: The problem I have at the moment is that I cant physically eat 2000 calories worth of food, I just feel full really quickly. Do u think this will change once I start exercising? Also, what kind of food do u suggest when having a meal?
Reply 8
Original post by ChickenMadness

She has a fine arse? Ok, I'm definitely taking her advice seriously lol
Reply 9
Original post by starlight82
Thanks :smile: I just want to look older tbh, most teens I know look more womanly than I do and it doesn't help my self esteem. It's not to impress anyone but just reduce the times I'm told I look over 10yrs younger than I am. Ofc I'm also hoping it will make me healthier too. I've heard exercise makes people happier and I'm hoping that will be the case for me.

How often is regular exercise, is it an everyday thing? And when you say eat more proteins, what particular food would u recommend? Sorry if I sound dumb, everything is new to me when it comes to fitness. I had to google 'cardio' after what u wrote :colondollar:

I was hoping to get on the treadmills as they look fun but I'm guessing it will make me lose weight?

Haha don't worry! Yeah, exercise has a lot of benefits. The amount of exercise you should do depends on the intensity of exercise and how often you do it. I'd say maybe around 2-3 hours of moderate exercise a week is fine.

I'd recommend fish, eggs, and meat to get your daily intake of protein, but within balance. If you're vegetarian, you could try having nuts, beans and vegetables like kale, but they should be part of your diet anyway :tongue:

Yeah, treadmills will make you lose more weight. Basically anything that works your whole body and is classified under "cardio", such as running, swimming etc will cause you to lose weight. Maybe try doing sit ups and squats to build muscle?

Remember to keep exercising as you do even after you achieve your goal to maintain your figure and health!

All the best! :h:
She has a fine arse? Ok, I'm definitely taking her advice seriously lol

It's perfect tbh lol.

Btw you should squat heavy weights. And make sure you feel it in your bum. The technique is the most important. And then after that make sure it's actually heavy weights so your muscles grow lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
250 cal surplus + stronglifts 5x5

gains will be made
Original post by iShaz_
Haha don't worry! Yeah, exercise has a lot of benefits. The amount of exercise you should do depends on the intensity of exercise and how often you do it. I'd say maybe around 2-3 hours of moderate exercise a week is fine.

I'd recommend fish, eggs, and meat to get your daily intake of protein, but within balance. If you're vegetarian, you could try having nuts, beans and vegetables like kale, but they should be part of your diet anyway :tongue:

Yeah, treadmills will make you lose more weight. Basically anything that works your whole body and is classified under "cardio", such as running, swimming etc will cause you to lose weight. Maybe try doing sit ups and squats to build muscle?

Remember to keep exercising as you do even after you achieve your goal to maintain your figure and health!

All the best! :h:

Thanks so much! This is so helpful and I appreciate u explaining everything to me :smile: Hopefully I have the stamina to follow through with all this but I will try hard to keep it up!
It's perfect tbh lol.

Btw you should squat heavy weights. And make sure you feel it in your bum. The technique is the most important. And then after that make sure it's actually heavy weights so your muscles grow lol.

Haha u two are cute :redface: and thanks for the advice, appreciated :smile:
Original post by Greg Jackson
250 cal surplus + stronglifts 5x5

gains will be made

I'm a dumbo when it comes to these things so this doesn't make sense to me, sorry :s-smilie:
Thank u! This is amazing advice :smile: The problem I have at the moment is that I cant physically eat 2000 calories worth of food, I just feel full really quickly. Do u think this will change once I start exercising? Also, what kind of food do u suggest when having a meal?

No worries hun! There's nothing to suggest that excercising will make you eat more but just the general tiredness after it will probably make you feel more hungry anyway. In terms of food content just eat the usual stuff you have, what do you normally eat? Stuff like porridge, beans and fruits are always good. Curry I hear is high in fibre, you could just google high fibre foods and go with that :smile: Also like the girl above said, protein is also good as well so fish dinners would be a good shout.

Just don't work yourself too hard :redface:

That kind of came from my mama :colondollar: But ye, I do all that stuff to maintain it sorta thing.
(edited 8 years ago)
No worries hun! There's nothing to suggest that excercising will make you eat more but just the general tiredness after it will probably make you feel more hungry anyway. In terms of food content just eat the usual stuff you have, what do you normally eat? Stuff like porridge, beans and fruits are always good. Curry I hear is high in fibre, you could just google high fibre foods and go with that :smile: Also like the girl above said, protein is also good as well so fish dinners would be a good shout.

Just don't work yourself too hard :redface:

Thanks again, I'll take on board everything you've all said.
Do you find it difficult to gain weight? Maybe you're just naturally slender, and you'll find it really difficult to gain weight. By all means, do try, everyone on this forum has given really good advice but maybe a 'curvy' body just isn't right for you (genetics can play a huge part in our body shapes) - maybe this is why you can never seem to get above 7st.

Eat really high calory stuff like peanut butter and just fatty stuff in general. Mayonaise etc. (cant think of anything else atm lol.)
Reply 19
Thanks so much! This is so helpful and I appreciate u explaining everything to me :smile: Hopefully I have the stamina to follow through with all this but I will try hard to keep it up!

No problem! Just keep thinking of achieving your goal.

Quick Reply

Latest