The Student Room Group

Core 3 mid ordinate rule in radians or degree?

When doing the mid ordinate or Simpsons rule with a trig function do we presume it is in radians?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake
When doing the mid ordinate or Simpsons rule with a trig function do we presume it is in radians?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes.
Reply 2
Original post by Isis_on_the_cake

Radians are superior. We always use radians when doing calculus because it makes differentiation and integration much easier. The numerical integration rules follow the same logic because of convention.
is it wrong to do it in degrees? i just done the june 2012 Q1 and it only accepted the radians in the mark scheme
Original post by WillNegForReps
is it wrong to do it in degrees? i just done the june 2012 Q1 and it only accepted the radians in the mark scheme

Yes.
Reply 6
Original post by WillNegForReps

Yes.

Your teacher should have explained that the rules for differentiating and integrating trig functions only work if the angle is assumed to be in radians. Therefore, if you're trying to estimate an integral your method of estimation needs to use the same measure of angles, otherwise you're estimating the wrong thing!

Quick Reply

Latest