The Student Room Group

Unprotected Sex, Should i get checked for STI

Recently i lost my virginity with my girlfriend and we used a condom but it ripped. We wouldn't of been having unprotected sex for long as we realised pretty quickly. Should i check to see if i've picked up an STI such as HIV? She was also a virgin so what are the chances that i've picked up anything?
For HIV and similar, the chance is so near nil it's not worth thinking about.

One of you has to have it before the other one can catch it from them - it's not created by the mere act of intercourse without a condom.

For one of you to have it, you'd need to have had it from birth (and not be told or got treatment) or to have got it via a secret injecting drug habit or be lying about being a virgin.

If you didn't come inside her, it's also extremely unlikely that she will be pregnant as a result.
Original post by unprinted
For HIV and similar, the chance is so near nil it's not worth thinking about.

One of you has to have it before the other one can catch it from them - it's not created by the mere act of intercourse without a condom.

For one of you to have it, you'd need to have had it from birth (and not be told or got treatment) or to have got it via a secret injecting drug habit or be lying about being a virgin.

If you didn't come inside her, it's also extremely unlikely that she will be pregnant as a result.

hey sorry I'm in a similar situation as OP (mine happened yesterday too :s)
I am a virgin but my girlfriend has had unprotected sex with her ex on two occasions but it was both of their first time.....do you think that i might have an STI??
Again, staggeringly unlikely for the same reasons.

What makes you think that you might?
Original post by unprinted
Again, staggeringly unlikely for the same reasons.

What makes you think that you might?

because she has had unprotected sex before?
Twice, with someone who, being a virgin prior to this themselves, is extremely unlikely to have a sexually transmitted infection.

Once more, STIs don't just 'happen', you need to be sexual* with someone who already has one.

* Or share blood with, for things like HIV or Hep B or C etc.

Quick Reply

Latest