Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I didn't say gravity was a force, and yes I do do GCSE physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    'Scuse me, but doesn't gravity exert that force?
    :confused: Nope! That's like saying electrostatic repulsions exert a force of air resistance. Gravity is the name of the force, but it doesn't exert that force.

(Original post by Speciez99)
    weight of the glider on the earth
    weight of earth on glider
    lift from wing
    drag from air resistances
    Weight of the glider on the earth isn't a force on the glider though.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm. I came joint first in my year at physics with 94% last exams... and I don't understand a word you're saying now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    :confused: Nope! That's like saying electrostatic repulsions exert a force of air resistance. Gravity is the name of the force, but it doesn't exert that force.

Weight of the glider on the earth isn't a force on the glider though.
    newton's 3rd law
    if body a exerts a force on body b, then body b also exerts an equal and opostie force on body a

gravity is the name of a field not a force

ReputationRep:
    Weight. :confused: The earth is a lump of physical matter. It doesn't exert any forces.
    Well it definately exerts a reaction to you jumping on it, otherwise you'd fall straight through it. It also exerts weight on everything else in the universe (except the further you are from it the weaker the weight). So there will be two forces caused by the Earth.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say gravity was a force, and yes I do do GCSE physics.
    yes sorry i understand the arguement now

ReputationRep:
    newton's 3rd law
    if body a exerts a force on body b, then body b also exerts an equal and opostie force on body a

gravity is the name of a field not a force
    Yes I know, but you only label one of a force pair on a free body diagram, because you only label the forces acting on one body.

ReputationRep:
    yea gravity is not a force...to dudes out there. it is not measured in newtons and therefore its not a force... muahaha.
    9.81 ms^-2 or 9.81 N/kg

btw, in fact the earth doesnt pull the object towards it. the object does this... think about it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I can't tell if I was right or wrong now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes I know, but you only label one of a force pair on a free body diagram, because you only label the forces acting on one body.
    yes sorry confused in the whole gravity force or field debate with the orginal question

ReputationRep:
    newtons sth law says that every mass attracts each other with an amount of force proportional to their mass...

ReputationRep:
    yes sorry confused in the whole gravity force or field debate with the orginal question
    gravity isnt a force.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    yea gravity is not a force...to dudes out there. it is not measured in newtons and therefore its not a force... muahaha.
    9.81 ms^-2 or 9.81 N/kg

btw, in fact the earth doesnt pull the object towards it. the object does this... think about it.
    How can an object pull itself towards something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    newtons sth law says that every mass attracts each other with an amount of force proportional to their mass...
    sth? does that mean second?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    gravity isnt a force.
    I KNOW, which is why i posted this:
    (Original post by speciez99)
    gravity isnt a force, its a description of a field
    if you read what i had written you would know i agree with you

ReputationRep:
    I KNOW, which is why i posted this:

if you read what i had written you would know i agree with you
    dude, calm down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    How can an object pull itself towards something?
    every mass attracts other mass, thats wt my teacher said.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it does, so the thing exerting body A's weight on A is body B, not body A.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mass attracts other mass because of gravity. I'm holding a pencil. The gravity 'around'(you know what I mean) this pencil is tiny, that's why it's not shooting towards my monitor. The gravitational pull the earth has is so big it attracts stuff noticeably.

ReputationRep:
    the downward force would be the gravitational pull of the earth on the glider

on a free body force diagram of the glider you do not include the forces exerted BY the glider ie do not include the gravitational pull of the glider on the earth.

the back ward force would be air resistance

upward force would be the lift generated by the wings

the lift could maybe be split into two components, the vertical and the horizontal. (forward and upward forces)

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 30, 2004
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.