Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Forces watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Mass attracts other mass because of gravity. I'm holding a pencil. The gravity 'around'(you know what I mean) this pencil is tiny, that's why it's not shooting towards my monitor. The gravitational pull the earth has is so big it attracts stuff noticeably.
    woo pro.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    the downward force would be the gravitational pull of the earth on the glider

on a free body force diagram of the glider you do not include the forces exerted BY the glider ie do not include the gravitational pull of the glider on the earth.

the back ward force would be air resistance

upward force would be the lift generated by the wings

the lift could maybe be split into two components, the vertical and the horizontal. (forward and upward forces)
    theres also viscous drag

ReputationRep:
    What is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    What is that?
    F=6pie r neata v

dont have the symbols

F is the viscous drag.

ReputationRep:
    Is that friction between the glider and passing air?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Is that friction between the glider and passing air?
    yes it is a kind of friction but not specifically. u really gotta get ur terms right.

viscous drag is caused by the viscosity of air. viscosity is a measure of how thick and slow-flowing a liquid is. therefore, air has a coefficient of viscosity of blabla due to particles in it so it slows down the object.

ReputationRep:
    That can't just be grouped under air resistance?

BTW sorry about the terms ... :confused: I haven't been taught any of this so how would I know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    That can't just be grouped under air resistance?

BTW sorry about the terms ... :confused: I haven't been taught any of this so how would I know.
    wt? arent u doing AS physics?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am. What you're talking about just sounds like air resistance. When you pass through water there is resistance of the water in front of you and friction with the water you're swimming past because that's the direction you're moving in. Why shouldn't both be water resistance, after all they are resistance to motion caused by water... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Yes I am. What you're talking about just sounds like air resistance. When you pass through water there is resistance of the water in front of you and friction with the water you're swimming past because that's the direction you're moving in. Why shouldn't both be water resistance, after all they are resistance to motion caused by water... :confused:
    u see... im being more specific so the pro's will understand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    u see... im being more specific so the pro's will understand.
    all you are doing is breaking up the force into more specfic components which doesnt really help mik1a

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    all you are doing is breaking up the force into more specfic components which doesnt really help mik1a
    dude, she doesnt know wt viscous drag was. i guess ur not a very specific person. watch out in ur exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    dude, she doesnt know wt viscous drag was. i guess ur not a very specific person. watch out in ur exams.
    He. You don't need to know about viscous drag and stuff like that (ie. Reynold's number) for AS Physics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    He. You don't need to know about viscous drag and stuff like that (ie. Reynold's number) for AS Physics.
    im doing salters horners... mayb u guys r doing the 'normal' one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    Yeah thanks for thank. :rolleyes: I will. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    Yeah thanks for thank. :rolleyes: I will. :rolleyes:
    XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    im doing salters horners... mayb u guys r doing the 'normal' one.
    Ahh! That explains things.
    I'm doing the 'normal' one :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mik1a)
    Ahh! That explains things.
    I'm doing the 'normal' one :eek:
    the 'normal' one's syllabus is a bit vague... ive seen it... glad that i took salters XDDD

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.