The Student Room Group

Will I Be Able To Handle Uni?

Hey, I got all A's and B's at GCSE, but during my As year I got bored, distracted and was struggling with some personal issues and ended up getting some poor grades. Rather than retaking I decided to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in engineering, I am now one year in and am finding it really easy (Haven't missed a single mark all year). I am due to take a maths As next year to fill up some of my free time and was wandering if I would be able to manage a degree in chemical engineering, taking into account my troubles during my original As year and the switch back to an exam based system.

Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I took a Computing based BTEC and i have just finished my first year at uni studying Computer Science and most of the stuff was the same just at a slightly higher level.

That probably would be the same for you if you were gonna do Mechanical or Electrical or General Engineering but as you are going on to Chemical im not sure, maybe worth taking Chemistry or Physics if you have the time
Thanks for replying, it was good to hear from someone who has gone from a BTEC to uni 😀
Reply 3
Original post by Noblebogmonster
Hey, I got all A's and B's at GCSE, but during my As year I got bored, distracted and was struggling with some personal issues and ended up getting some poor grades. Rather than retaking I decided to do a btec level 3 extended diploma in engineering, I am now one year in and am finding it really easy (Haven't missed a single mark all year). I am due to take a maths As next year to fill up some of my free time and was wandering if I would be able to manage a degree in chemical engineering, taking into account my troubles during my original As year and the switch back to an exam based system.

Any advice or personal experience would be appreciated :smile:

Yeah i did A Levels and didn't like those subjects so i did BTEC Level 3 in engineering and environment and i started uni last yr doing construction management. Truth be told i am handling my degree just fine even getting over 70% marks (which in my uni is considered 1st class degree) in every module in my course. So you got nothing to worry about mate, best of luck..
It depends really, at my university all (emphasis on all) of the BTEC students in my class crashed and burned because they just weren't used to exams, and that was for an engineering foundation year let alone the actual degree. Hopefully having done A level maths will help you get into the swing of things though.
Original post by Helloworld_95
It depends really, at my university all (emphasis on all) of the BTEC students in my class crashed and burned because they just weren't used to exams, and that was for an engineering foundation year let alone the actual degree. Hopefully having done A level maths will help you get into the swing of things though.

Yeah that's kinda what I was worried about, but im hoping that it can be overcome with practice and hard work.
Most unis don't want to set students up for failure. If they are willing to let you in with the qualifications you have, they must think you have a chance of passing the course.

If you struggle with exams, try to find a course which is at least partially coursework based, as this will take the pressure off a bit. You can also spend a lot of time in first year working on your exam technique- as the marks probably won't count, or will only be a tiny percentage of your final grade.

It might also be worth discussing your concerns with someone at open days- they may be able to let you know how other students with BTECs coped with the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending