The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
Original post by samjfranklin
A few pages back was a statistical data sheet from Edexcel, showing that last year ~6% got A*.

What do u think the grade boundary for an a*will be this year?
Original post by aahmad

I didn't sit the exam, and I haven't seen both papers either.

The thing is, although people are complaining about this exam it sounds like most of the questions were quite standard. It's normal for an exam to have a couple of weird/tough questions.

It's likely the boundaries will lower a little bit, but only by 1 or 2 marks. However, it is impossible to predict - we've only really seen a 'loud' response online from people who didn't like the question!

I know you want to know, but you're better waiting until results day now! Good luck for any other exams you've got.
in ottal it think i could've dropped max 35 marks what do you think that would equate to
Original post by jammyg200
in ottal it think i could've dropped max 35 marks what do you think that would equate to

See my above reply - basically, it's very hard to tell!
See my above reply - basically, it's very hard to tell!

so you think the boundary will be slightly lower than last years 164
Reply 325
I didn't sit the exam, and I haven't seen both papers either.

The thing is, although people are complaining about this exam it sounds like most of the questions were quite standard. It's normal for an exam to have a couple of weird/tough questions.

It's likely the boundaries will lower a little bit, but only by 1 or 2 marks. However, it is impossible to predict - we've only really seen a 'loud' response online from people who didn't like the question!

I know you want to know, but you're better waiting until results day now! Good luck for any other exams you've got.

Thanks man but using the answers that have been online I got around 86 overall. Would that be a*?
Original post by jammyg200
so you think the boundary will be slightly lower than last years 164

I purely speculating, but I think probably a couple of marks lower. However, as I said this is skewed as the main online reaction has been complaints, not positives.
Original post by aahmad
Thanks man but using the answers that have been online I got around 86 overall. Would that be a*?

I imagine so, on a GCSE paper dropping 14 marks would probably still keep you in A*!
(edited 8 years ago)
i looked through the paper at the beginning the questions were not as difficult as everyone said but i did screw up because i misread an easy question
Would 158/200 be an A star?? Really need an A star to do further maths :frown: Please reply asap, i'm extremely stressed out
Original post by Fintan21
Would 158/200 be an A star?? Really need an A star to do further maths :frown: Please reply asap, i'm extremely stressed out

Well back in my day (2 years ago), for a standard paper an A* was 165/200 so for a harder paper like this one it should be about 155-162/200:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leechayy
Well back in my day (2 years ago), for a standard paper an A* was 165/200 so for a harder paper like this one it should be about 155-162/200:mmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much. I guess I can relax now :wink:
I think this is a silly idea. Every single year a maths exam is sat students complain about how difficult it was, and now because there is another annual frenzy we believe we can persuade them to lower grade boundaries. I admit the paper was hard but I highly doubt they will lower the grade boundaries. What makes our year so different?
Original post by aahmad

It will always be the same proportion, boundaries are dependant on how badly everyone f*cks up
First of all, if you're against the petition to lower the grade boundaries for the Edexcel GCSE Maths Higher exams, this thread is not designed for opinions or debate. I am simply trying to get more people aware of it because I personally want it to be signed by more people!

There is a petition, which can be found at : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lower-the-grade-boundaries-for-edexcel-paper-1h

If anyone has taken the maths exams you are probably aware that the exams were tough and challenging. If you found it unreasonably hard, then please sign the petition. Edexcel will have to act upon it to some extent if there is enough signatures. Even if you haven't taken the exams but feel that the petition deserves a signature, then please sign it!

No hate please! ( Because I'm aware a lot of people are dead against the petition) :confused:
You do realise that grade boundaries are there to account for the relative difficulty levels between papers? If a lot of people found it hard and consequently got lower marks the boundaries will account for this.

Besides the question wasn't even bad.

Quite frankly you are wasting your time on this.
Original post by javvyjingle
First of all, if you're against the petition to lower the grade boundaries for the Edexcel GCSE Maths Higher exams, this thread is not designed for opinions or debate. I am simply trying to get more people aware of it because I personally want it to be signed by more people!

There is a petition, which can be found at : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/lower-the-grade-boundaries-for-edexcel-paper-1h

If anyone has taken the maths exams you are probably aware that the exams were tough and challenging. If you found it unreasonably hard, then please sign the petition. Edexcel will have to act upon it to some extent if there is enough signatures. Even if you haven't taken the exams but feel that the petition deserves a signature, then please sign it!

No hate please! ( Because I'm aware a lot of people are dead against the petition) :confused:

As Poorform said above, if the paper was hard, the grade boundaries will be lower.

I don't understand what else you expect Edexcel to do? Do you want them to lower the boundaries even more so that more people than ever before get A's, A*s? Please tell us.
Original post by javvyjingle

Well to be honest, I took the exam and I worked so hard I just feel like I didn't understand the paper so my grades will be lower than what I would like. In my opinion, if the paper had been better then I feel I would have performed better, which is why I don't think there should be high grade boundaries because I don't want to do badly?! Does this make sense because I feel like what I am saying is justified but people just keep hitting back ... like I said, this is NOT what this thread is for, it is just to make the situation aware. Clearly there is cause for concern as it was in the news!
This is just too silly for words. It shows a complete lack of understanding of the boundary setting process and the use of comparable outcomes. Closed as this will just unsettle people unnecessarily.
I'm closing this thread as it is pointless. A petition can't affect grade boundaries - the performance of the cohort determines them.

The racism has been reported.
Reply 339
I think that it was completely called for. As a GCSE student who took the paper a few days ago, and as a student who frequently gets As and A*s in both papers, I looked at this question and simply didn't understand.

The reason I found it so difficult was due to the wording and the information given. Normally, the question would at least give a value that we can logically work with, even for an A* question but this didn't give us anything.

Everyone's arguement against the petition seems to be that there is no way that the exam board would set such a hard question if pupils were unable to solve it. Well tell me this, if it was appropriate to GCSE, then why did it just come up on BBC news that there has been an uproar on social media because it was so hard, and that 10 000+ pupils have signed a petition?