nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
The button for inserting quotes seems to have disappeared.

If I wanted to quote something or break up a post under reply I used to be able to highlight the text and press the quote button. For the last couple of weeks I have had to laboriously type "[QU*TE] ... [/QU*TE]" around everything.

Is there an easier way to do this?

PS I have had to use asterisk rather than O to avoid the system treating this posting as a quote.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
The button for inserting quotes seems to have disappeared.
it is frustrating.

If I wanted to quote something or break up a post under reply I used to be able to highlight the text and press the quote button. For the last couple of weeks I have had to laboriously type "[QU*TE] ... [/QU*TE]" around everything.

Is there an easier way to do this?
in replying to your message in quoted parts, I've here used the 'multiquote this message' function next to the reply button: hitting it twice such that your message was then quoted in full twice in the reply field. I then deleted from each what I didn't need to create the bite-sized bits.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by cambio wechsel)
it is frustrating.

in replying to your message in quoted parts, I've here used the 'multiquote this message' function next to the reply button: hitting it twice such that your message was then quoted in full twice in the reply field. I then deleted from each what I didn't need to create the bite-sized bits.
Thanks for the idea.
cambio wechsel
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the idea.
I don't know if it was the rationale for changing the system but an advantage in doing it this way is that it ties every quote to the parent post through the hyperlink. If a person considers it unlikely that you would have extended thanks for my small suggestion he can check it by having the quote take him back to the original. Orphan quotes have no look-up, and the more so if introduced with "but on another thread, you said..."
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for the idea.
Hey, I know, it's fairly annoying!

Just with regard to your [QU*TE]

if you use [noparse]x[/noparse] tags like this then it will stop it acting as a quote... this is the same as spoilers - so like this:
Code:
[noparse][quote]hello[/quote][/noparse]
Will give:
[quote]hello[/quote]
ExcitedPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Hey, I know, it's fairly annoying!

Just with regard to your [QU*TE]

if you use [noparse]x[/noparse] tags like this then it will stop it acting as a quote... this is the same as spoilers - so like this:
Code:
[noparse][/noparse]
Will give:
I think most of us know how to use the tags, but it is inconvenient and slow. When will the quote function return? It seems like a pretty basic thing
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ExcitedPup)
I think most of us know how to use the tags, but it is inconvenient and slow. When will the quote function return? It seems like a pretty basic thing
I have no doubt you know how to tag, and if you read my post, you'll see that I wasn't trying to tell anyone how to use quote tags... I was actually letting the OP know about the no parse tags as a way to show the quote tags without them going into quotes, as they added the * to stop it forming into a quote...

Posted from TSR Mobile
ExcitedPup
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
I have no doubt you know how to tag, and if you read my post, you'll see that I wasn't trying to tell anyone how to use quote tags... I was actually letting the OP know about the no parse tags as a way to show the quote tags without them going into quotes, as they added the * to stop it forming into a quote...
And on the substantive element of my comment? When will a quote button return?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ExcitedPup)
And on the substantive element of my comment? When will a quote button return?
:holmes: I have absolutely no idea... when the dev team get round to it I guess...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (100)
28.49%
No - I have already returned home (45)
12.82%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (68)
19.37%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (37)
10.54%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
28.77%

Watched Threads