The Student Room Group

First CV

Hiya! Exams are finished, so now it's time to write a CV, but I honestly have no idea what to write in it or how much of different aspects. I'm 17, so obviously don't have much to include, and I know that personal details and previous jobs should be included, but is there anything else? A few pointers in the right direction would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks a bunch :-)
Original post by aleciamitch
Hiya! Exams are finished, so now it's time to write a CV, but I honestly have no idea what to write in it or how much of different aspects. I'm 17, so obviously don't have much to include, and I know that personal details and previous jobs should be included, but is there anything else? A few pointers in the right direction would be hugely appreciated!
Thanks a bunch :-)

Hey!

For starters, make sure your CV doesn't exceed 2 sides of A4. I made this mistake early on and was applying to companies for spring insight days etc with a 4-page CV....not good :P

Have you had any employment experience/work experience relevant to your chosen university course? Be sure to add that onto there, and also add on any volunteering experience you may have, plus any additional things you may do, so sport, music etc.

The main point of the CV is to try to convince the employer you are applying to that you have the skills that they are looking for. So this sort of stuff includes team-working skills, leadership skills, evidence of working under pressure, communication skills etc etc. So when you're talking about a particular experience, be sure to link what you did in this experience to a particular skill that you learnt from it, or had to use to be successful at it. There's a whole host of key words and phrases that you can use on a CV to make it stand out more (just google 'power CV words' or something and you'll be able to see)

It's late so that's all I can think of for now, for general CV advice, but if there's anything specific you need help with, just reply to this post and I'll try to help!
Reply 2
Thank you so much, that's really helped! I will do :-)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending