The Student Room Group

Graduating with a 2:2

Hi there,

I was recently informed that I will be graduating with a 2:2 masters degree in forensic and analytical chemistry. The news is pretty devastating if am honest as i feel the last 5 years of my life have been partially wasted as i didn't get a higher grade.

I was hoping to do a PhD and was informed that if i had obtained a 2:1, a PhD was essentially given. But as i didn't get a 2:1, am not sure what to really think.

I was wondering if anyone else has been in my shoes and I was wondering what you moved onto to do / any advice you would give for me in my current situation.
Don't be devastated. A 2.2 is a superb achievement. All the best people have Desmonds and nothing has been wasted! :wink:

The point is you are now in a situation you didn't think you would be in but you still have options. You just need to make some decisions and follow them through. If you want a bit more perspective on your position have a listen to these brilliant podcasts

The Upside of Quitting
http://freakonomics.com/2011/09/30/new-freakonomics-radio-podcast-the-upside-of-quitting/

and

Failure is your friend
http://freakonomics.com/2015/05/20/failure-is-your-friend-a-freakonomics-radio-rebroadcast/

Depending on how you view your current position, it could be the worst or best thing that ever happened to you. However it is up to you to decide which attitude to take.

Good luck and all the very very best!
Original post by ByEeek
Don't be devastated. A 2.2 is a superb achievement.
!

no it isn't
Original post by gr8wizard10
no it isn't

Fair enough - have it your way. But as an employer looking at a sea of 1st class honours degrees (everyone seems to have them these days) it isn't necessarily that that I am interested in.
I am currently in an internship in a lab and just like you am doing a science degree. I asked around what would happen if I ended up getting a 2:2 and what are the chances of getting a phD and unfortunately, they aren't very good. But if you go onto do a Masters, you will boost your chances to get a job or get a chance for further studies. Do a Masters in something different though, not forensic and analytical chemistry. For example with your degree you might want to do some biochemistry or similar. You can apply for a phD abroad where you'll pay for it but it depends on your financial situation. You can attempt to apply to some jobs or phDs now and see if you get any replies, if you don't, well, do a Masters.

P.S You can also try e-mailing some lab leaders, if your uni has research labs, and ask them to work or volunteer in their labs for experience. With enough xp, you might be able to land a lab technician job
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending