Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you do stretching before any shifting [i.e. moving to the side or up] for graph transforms?

What's the order of doing graph transforms e.g. which procedures occur first?

Many thanks for any replies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfvar_1)
    Do you do stretching before any shifting [i.e. moving to the side or up] for graph transforms?

I would say, first change the period (stretching), then change the amplitude, then do the shifting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfvar_1)

r u into matrices or sine/cos curves? gcse lvl?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z!D4N)
    r u into matrices or sine/cos curves? gcse lvl?
    I think he's doing AS

ReputationRep:
    AS, no matrices, just good ol' Sin, Cos, Tan graphs

ReputationRep:
    surely it depends on the expression?

if you have an expression f(x) = sinx

then f(x-a) + b is a translation through (a,b)

a.f(bx) is a stretch of 1/b horizontally and a stretch of a vertically.

To exemplify the difference, consider

f(b(x-a)) and f(bx -a), the first is a translation through (a,0) then a stretch of 1/b horizonstally, the other is a stretch of 1/b horizontally then a translation through (a,0).

This is what I think anyway, correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    you should stretch before shifting, because stretching is about the origin, so you cant change that.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to steal your thread buddy, but i was wondering if anyone had any ways to remember what the arcsin, cos, tan and sec, cosec, cot graphs look like? ive done p2 past papers with them and they lost me big points...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    sorry to steal your thread buddy, but i was wondering if anyone had any ways to remember what the arcsin, cos, tan and sec, cosec, cot graphs look like? ive done p2 past papers with them and they lost me big points...
    To remember the first three I just look at sin,cos,tan on their side. The last three, draw the sin,cos,tan graph and then look at what 1/f(x) would look like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    for sec, cosec and cot, remember to replace x-axis roots with vertcial asymptotes, and swap maximum points for minimum points.
    e.g. cosecx:
    First consider sinx between 0 and 360. Roots occur at 0°, 180° and 360°, so draw asymptotes at these points. Maximum at 90° and minimum at 270°, so for cosecx, you have a minimum turning point at (90° , 1) and a maximum at (270° , -1)

Hope this helps
    Michael.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.