Turn on thread page Beta

AS Geography - some exciting ecosystems questions watch

ReputationRep:
    Please help, i'm well thick when it comes to the ecosystems section.

Q1: Explaine one way in which nutrients are naturally lost from the nutrient cycle. [3] (if you can explain more than one way that would help me more)

Q2: Describe the process operating at X. [2] (litter -> soil nutrient store)

Q3: Describe one way human activity might increase the volume of nutrients cycled. [2] (more than one way would be helpful)

Q4: Outline how the following affect the nutrient cycle:
    (i) Deliberate burning (2)
    (ii) Removal of livestock (2)

I might add some more later. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Pleeeeeaaaaasssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)

Q1: Explaine one way in which nutrients are naturally lost from the nutrient cycle. [3] (if you can explain more than one way that would help me more)

Q3: Describe one way human activity might increase the volume of nutrients cycled. [2] (more than one way would be helpful)

1. leaching

2 (decomposition)
    Primary decomposers break up material into smaller pieces. Secondany decomposers chemically break up material releasing nutrients.

3. grazing livestock contribute urine and faeces which decomposera can convert to humus.

4. burning --> less trees --> less interception - more surface runoff, more infiltration, causing increased leaching. Less biomass = less litter = less humus.Fewer roote means less nutrient recycling in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiAnY)

1. Animals visiting or moving to other ecosystems nearby. Loss to groundwater. Material being removed by humans.

3. Fertliser? The whole eutrophication thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramaya)
    1. Animals visiting or moving to other ecosystems nearby. Loss to groundwater. Material being removed by humans.

3. Fertliser? The whole eutrophication thing.
    how does eutrophication lead to bigger nutrient cycle? :confused: fertiliser going into river surely decreases nutrient cycling as nutrients are leached away from the system?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    how does eutrophication lead to bigger nutrient cycle? :confused: fertiliser going into river surely decreases nutrient cycling as nutrients are leached away from the system?
    Well i suppose it depends on the ecosystem. If its the lake then its recieving nutrients. If its the surrounding fields than its losing them. But yeh its confusing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    :confused:
    Well i suppose it depends on the ecosystem. If its the lake then its recieving nutrients. If its the surrounding fields than its losing them. But yeh its confusing stuff.
    you can have nutrient cycle in a lake? but hasnt a nutrient cycle gotta have BLS biomass litter and soil. and by definition biomass is the total dry weight of living matter, so surely a lake cant have a nutrient cycle :confused:

ReputationRep:
    *Is worrying because she has to learn ecosystems for Biology*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    :confused:

you can have nutrient cycle in a lake? but hasnt a nutrient cycle gotta have BLS biomass litter and soil. and by definition biomass is the total dry weight of living matter, so surely a lake cant have a nutrient cycle :confused:
    Errm well i think so coz theres a diagram of a nutrient cycle in a lake in my text book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    *Is worrying because she has to learn ecosystems for Biology*
    Lol yeh i also have this huge problem!

ReputationRep:
    Lol yeh i also have this huge problem!
    Hehe, damn unit 3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    Hehe, damn unit 3
    I had to teach myself ecosystems for my biology exam in january because my teachers are so damn lazy they didn't bother with that section. Then on the exam the question with the most marks was one on...you've guessed it...ecosystems! My favourite topic *cough*. Today i've spent most of my time working on learning ecosystems for geog *yawn*. Haven't finished yet, damnit.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.