Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

gcse english lit omg please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

i think i really ****ed up my exam.

i got a A on my coursework with is 30%. but i think an A is about 22%.

on the exam (70%). one question was worth 36 and one 27, then 3 for grammar....

out of 36 i think i got about 30. out of 3 about 1. and out of 27 about 5 (i ran out of time, WHAT AN IDIOT!!) 36/66 isabout 55%

if i got an A in my coursework and 55% in the exam. what overall grade can I expect? could you say that had dragged me down to a C/D??

thanks

pabs//

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pabsunited222)
    hey guys,

out of 36 i think i got about 30. out of 3 about 1. and out of 27 about 5 (i ran out of time, WHAT AN IDIOT!!) 36/66 isabout 55%

if i got an A in my coursework and 55% in the exam. what overall grade can I expect? could you say that had dragged me down to a C/D??

thanks

pabs//

well, i'm no expert, but if you got around about 55 and 22 for c/w that makes 77% I think LOL, and that is a definite A/B? although don't predict what you think you will get, because it could go one way or the other...we won't know until August..but be positive you may have got even higher on the 27 question one. I hope you do well, don't panc if your coursework is good it should save you..by the way what is an A* in c/w..surely it must be
    about 29/30%?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry!

I ****ed mine up just as much as you did, didn't even look at the Poetry section and ran out of time while commenting on a 20 point question. But it is 1 GCSE, the main one is English Language which is so much easier! And that is the only one colleges will be looking for..

The examiners cannot expect you to read pages of text in a timed exam, I was struggling to find any decent quotes so was aiming to write as much as I could to cover anything!

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries are notoriously high in English lit, I know for me last year it was 90% for an A*, 80% for a A, 70% for a B and so on... I thought I had done really badly though, and ended up getting an A*. Don't beat yourself up about it, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it now, and I better you did a lot better than you thought!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

thanks

pabs//
    In my GCSE Lit exam I wrote about the wrong poem so sacrificed 33% and my other two essays were nothing special. I thought I was going to get a C/D and came out with a B. I'm sure you will do well

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the support

i think A* for cswk was 25/26% but the boundaries in the exams are really high for A* i think 90??

i kno the times are stupid. you have 2 hours for maths were you finish in like an hour and 1h45 in english and no one finished. absolutely ridiculous...

do you think if you cswk is good and one of your exam questions they will be kind and not punish you in the exam question you do bad on...?!?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the support

i think A* for cswk was 25/26% but the boundaries in the exams are really high for A* i think 90??

i kno the times are stupid. you have 2 hours for maths were you finish in like an hour and 1h45 in english and no one finished. absolutely ridiculous...

do you think if you cswk is good and one of your exam questions they will be kind and not punish you in the exam question you do bad on...?!?

thanks
    Exam boards don't really punish they mark what's there.not what isn't - but i'm not very experienced.I ould have loved an A* but i didn't think the boundaries were so high! :confused: LOL, soo i'll just think about maths! LOl

ReputationRep:
    out of 66 on the lit exam..

roughly what do you all think would be the grades for A*,A,B & C

thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    out of 66 on the lit exam..

roughly what do you all think would be the grades for A*,A,B & C

thanks alot
    You can't really judge it like that, because your coursework is also a factor, as is how well you do relative to everyone else who takes the exam. But VERY roughly, I'd say 59 for an A*, 53 for an A, 46 for a B and 39 for a C.

ReputationRep:
    you know if you get a B in the exam and A in cswk will that meen an overall B?

what about B in exam and A* in cswk?

thanks...

ReputationRep:
    you know if you get a B in the exam and A in cswk will that meen an overall B?

what about B in exam and A* in cswk?

thanks...
    It really is impossible to tell. It depends on the weighting of the components, and where they place the garde boundaries. This is only a GCSE, don't blow it out of proportion. Analysing how you think you've done won't help, just move on and focus on your next exams

ReputationRep:
    hey guys,

thanks

pabs//
    Hey, don't worry. I'm in the same position, I don't think I did that well and have very high coursework. I ran out of time too, my ending was crap and I summarized things too much due to the lack of time. And as I keep talking about I only wrote 3.7 pages!

You wont have 5 marks, definitely not if you have such high coursework. If you get a B overall, I probably will to. But think of it this way, if everyone thinks they haven't done well and they truely haven't, the boundaries will get lower.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Johnt)
    But it is 1 GCSE, the main one is English Language which is so much easier! And that is the only one colleges will be looking for..
    That's rubbish. English Literature is the more prestigious one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    That's rubbish. English Literature is the more prestigious one.
    yeah but it's only English language GCSE that universities look at for their matriculation requirements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    yeah but it's only English language GCSE that universities look at for their matriculation requirements
    Anyone that fails university matriculation on the basis of their English Language GCSE result should not be applying to university in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry about it, I did the same for my Geography exam. On the first exam I did the whole paper instead of picking the three questions that we were taught. I was going through the paper thinking "this isn't right!?! We haven't learnt this" Then realised I had done th whole paper wrong!

I think that I answered one out of 3 questions that we had been taught and I thought that's it, i've got a D, but then my marks came back and I had gotten B. I either got a really good mark in my coursework or i'm a brilliant guesser!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whywhywhy)
    Anyone that fails university matriculation on the basis of their English Language GCSE result should not be applying to university in the first place.
    Totally agree. I'm just saying, the argument was that lang was the only one unis look at, which it is, there's no requirement for english lit (except in very rare cases, when the degree might be focused on lit).

ReputationRep:
    interesting discussion i feel the same! We had less time i was on OCR and we had 30marks for each thing-play/novel/poetry. I think i did well on one and the others i drifted away. My coursework is a high C out of the 30% sumat like C/B

(exam:70% and coursework is worth 30%)

For instance my coursework is of a C/B grade= 18%?
    how much is needed in the exam for an A ?
    from today's point of view i think my results are maybe of 60/90 or maybe of 68% maybe.
    Can anyone tell me and work out thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happysunshine)
    Hey, don't worry. I'm in the same position, I don't think I did that well and have very high coursework. I ran out of time too, my ending was crap and I summarized things too much due to the lack of time. And as I keep talking about I only wrote 3.7 pages!

You wont have 5 marks, definitely not if you have such high coursework. If you get a B overall, I probably will to. But think of it this way, if everyone thinks they haven't done well and they truely haven't, the boundaries will get lower.

how long did you spend doing each essay?

i did 1h20 on the poetry and about 25 mins on the novel. i dont really think i got 5 maybe about 8-10 LOL. but i havd hardly any time becos of the other one.

have lots of ppl been saying they thought it was hard that you know and syaing they havnt dun well......

is there a certain number of ppl that have to get A*s or sumthin..?!!?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    is there a certain number of ppl that have to get A*s or sumthin..?!!?
    Sort of. Grades are allocated according to a normal distribution curve, so they move the boundaries each year. It's quite complicated.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.