How is it decided which AS modules count for furthe maths and which for maths?

Watch
mrno1324
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Last year I did C1, C2, M1, S1, FP1, D1. I know FP1 wil definitely count for further but how is it decided which other two? I need 480 UMS for A* wil they be chosen optimally so that I get A*s in maths and further maths or is there a different system?
Thanks guys
poorform
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes they have a system that gives priority to your maths grade before you further maths grade, I can't remember exactly how it works but it's like this, you will get an A in M and a B in FM rather than the other way around, or if you have enough ums for an A* in FM but it would mean you got a B in M you wouldn't get the A* you would get A in M and A in FM for example. I'm sure it's explained better on their website but you hopefully get the idea.

Basically though they give you the best grades you can get with your module results.
Zaffre
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mrno1324)
Last year I did C1, C2, M1, S1, FP1, D1. I know FP1 wil definitely count for further but how is it decided which other two? I need 480 UMS for A* wil they be chosen optimally so that I get A*s in maths and further maths or is there a different system?
Thanks guys
It's summarised here:
file:///C:/Users/Guest/Desktop/30.%20Grading%20A%20level%20Mathematics%20-%20Notice%20to%20Centres.pdf

Basically all core modules must go towards single maths, and all further pure modules have to go towards further maths.

Then it's arranged to optimise your single maths grade, and then shuffled to get the best grade in further maths without changing your single maths grade.

Sorry if I'm not being clear, I find it hard to explain
Maths g-d
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
do like modules need to be paired (for example M1 and M2)
Zaffre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Maths g-d)
do like modules need to be paired (for example M1 and M2)
No they don't, the possible combinations for single maths are given on the link in my last post
Any combination from:
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2
C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, D2
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1

Essentially any combination with all the core modules and no FP modules

Further maths takes anything except from the core modules, and you must have the FP modules:

"A candidate may certificate AS Further Mathematics with any combination of three units which doesnot include C1-C4 but does include at least one Further Pure unit (FP1, FP2, etc.).*A candidate may certificate A level Further Mathematics with any combination of six units which doesnot include C1-C4 but does include at least two Further Pure units ( FP1, FP2, etc.) and a total of atleast three A2 units."
mrno1324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zaffre)
No they don't, the possible combinations for single maths are given on the link in my last post
Any combination from:
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, S2
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, M2
C1, C2, C3, C4, D1, D2
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, M1
C1, C2, C3, C4, S1, D1
C1, C2, C3, C4, M1, D1

Essentially any combination with all the core modules and no FP modules

Further maths takes anything except from the core modules, and you must have the FP modules:

"A candidate may certificate AS Further Mathematics with any combination of three units which doesnot include C1-C4 but does include at least one Further Pure unit (FP1, FP2, etc.).*A candidate may certificate A level Further Mathematics with any combination of six units which doesnot include C1-C4 but does include at least two Further Pure units ( FP1, FP2, etc.) and a total of atleast three A2 units."
Don't M3 and S3 have to count for further maths?
Zaffre
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were considering those modules! Unfortunately I don't know too much about how that works as my college doesn't teach them

All I can gather is from the link I posted, which implies that they would count towards further maths. I'm not 100% sure though, sorry!
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes
joeby1997
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
For further maths you're not allowed to use any 1 modules (apart from fp1 obviously) and to gain an A* you must get over 270 across 3 '3 or 4' modules, I think
mrno1324
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zaffre)
Oh sorry, I didn't realise you were considering those modules! Unfortunately I don't know too much about how that works as my college doesn't teach them

All I can gather is from the link I posted, which implies that they would count towards further maths. I'm not 100% sure though, sorry!
Fair enough, cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (6)
50%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (2)
16.67%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (1)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (0)
0%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (2)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (1)
8.33%

Watched Threads