Turn on thread page Beta

career prospects? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nat3)
    u mentioned graduates at the big 4 getting 24k-25k
    are these grad jobs pretty much exclusive to the elite graduates( oxb-lse)
    or do u think i have a chance (see first post)
    i know it also depends upon the person and extra cirr etc but in terms of uni

also at bristol for Acc &fin im hoping for 2:1 or 1st
    and i have decent a levels (28) BUT my gcses were quite bad ie i got a C in english lang
    will this put me at a great advantage or can i still try for Big 4 etc
    (its just that i looked at the Deloitte website and they said u need a B in GCSE english)
    surely GCSEs dont matter that much... i mean i have improved since i took my GCSEs FIVE years ago!

please help
    the graduates are not exclusively from the top few universities - the big 4 do realise that talent lies outside of these as well - however, the lower the prestige, the higher the grade you'd have to get, for example some may take a 2:2 from Oxbridge but require a 2:1 from others

if Deloitte say you need at least a B, then I reckon you'll have to have at least a B unfortunately - the quality of graduates is pretty high, and they don't need to compromise on any of the academic qualifications unless you have mitigating circumstances

GCSEs will matter if that's the last evidence you have of your English writing skills which is a big part of the job in the City when you are writing reports

ReputationRep:
    is there anything i can do to fix this problem?

so i guess theres no point in me working extra hard for that 1st then
    cos a 2:1 will problem do for small firms

r u sure theres not another way- i did economics a level in which i had to write essays and reports - will this not do? :confused:

plus for the first year of my degree i got the highest mark for the accounting module and won the PWC prize......will this help my situation at all.

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is apply to the firms you want to work for - you'll get an accounting job somewhere, then you can perhaps move onto one of the bigger ones eventually if unsuccessful at first.

Don't not try for a first just because of this - that will give you less of something to stand on when trying to get around your English grade. You could get in touch with the graduate recruitment people directly before submitting your CV and asking about their policy on GCSE English grades, pointing out your other skills, and if you couldn't get around it, what training you might be able to take.

(Original post by nat3)

did you have extenuating circumstances for gcse? if you can think of a decent excuse you might be alright, but like i said for a lot of the big firms you wont be eligible for their graduate schemes because they ask for B or A's even in english and maths. you could always re-sit it in the summer?

either that or just start off at a smaller firm and work towards the better ones, once you've got a couple of years experience you should be fine and the gsce wont matter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    did you have extenuating circumstances for gcse? if you can think of a decent excuse you might be alright, but like i said for a lot of the big firms you wont be eligible for their graduate schemes because they ask for B or A's even in english and maths. you could always re-sit it in the summer?

either that or just start off at a smaller firm and work towards the better ones, once you've got a couple of years experience you should be fine and the gsce wont matter
    rather than take his word for it and not apply, I would find out for yourself whether your application would be rejected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nat3)

r u sure theres not another way- i did economics a level in which i had to write essays and reports - will this not do? :confused:

plus for the first year of my degree i got the highest mark for the accounting module and won the PWC prize......will this help my situation at all.
    Of course! The importance of qualifications decreases with age. You really think someone with a First from Bristol, who's been doing so well he's actually won prizes will be rejected because of a lone bad result? Make sure the rest of you application demonstrate that you can write, and you'll be a very strong candidate.

ReputationRep:
    so if i do start with a medium -small company
    what kind of starting salary can i expect

yes gcse maths was ok- got an A* plus i

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Of course! The importance of qualifications decreases with age. You really think someone with a First from Bristol, who's been doing so well he's actually won prizes will be rejected because of a lone bad result? Make sure the rest of you application demonstrate that you can write, and you'll be a very strong candidate.
    I sort of agree, but there are sometimes strict processes that HR go through before putting candidates through for interview - simple as that.

You are going to have up to 30 people applying per place available. Candidates are not compared against each other for the bigger firms - if they are good enough, then they will be hired regardless as the number of places available is going to be flexible.

As a result, HR sometimes have to be very strict and this could be your downfall. However, this may be mitigated by getting in touch with one or two HR depts and asking for your other achievements to be taken into consideration which may offset your grade.

Rather than rely too much on advice from here, you must speak to those experienced in this sort of thing - careers advisors and the firms themselves.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey, I don't know of any firms that care that much about GCSEs. I only did 6 due to illness and got plenty of interviews (fortunately).

ReputationRep:
    My Mum interviews possible accountants and she doesn't have any O-levels so she certainly doesn't care about anyone else's.

(Original post by marabara)
    rather than take his word for it and not apply, I would find out for yourself whether your application would be rejected
    i went to a deloitte insight day which is exactly the firm he is talking about, there we were told electronic filtering looks *specifically* at academic areas and will filter out any forms which do not reach the standard they require, ie even if you got a 1st from bristol or whatever if you do not have the 24 ucas points they want or the B in gcse english the system will chuck you out.

you would be best alerting them to the problem and give reasons for it rather than trying to hide it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rah)
    i went to a deloitte insight day which is exactly the firm he is talking about, there we were told electronic filtering looks *specifically* at academic areas and will filter out any forms which do not reach the standard they require, ie even if you got a 1st from bristol or whatever if you do not have the 24 ucas points they want or the B in gcse english the system will chuck you out.

you would be best alerting them to the problem and give reasons for it rather than trying to hide it.
    which is what I was saying

but Deloitte isn't the only firm who hire accountants, so it is best to double check first - not on here though

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.