The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
ax²+bx+c = a(x²+bx/a+c/a) = a[(x+b/2a)² - b²/4a² + c/a] = a[(x+b/2a)² - (4ac-b²)/4a²]

If you put this equal to 0 then you can go on to derive the quadratic formula
Reply 41
gemma.....
oh, i see..umm but wasn't that orignial post just an example of Ax where the letter is the number? as in C squared = A squared, but the letter isn't a letter it represents a number?

Ignore me i don't understand lol

Ok.

Is that true? Does no one give you rep?
Reply 42
Bezza
ax²+bx+c = a(x²+bx/a+c/a) = a[(x+b/2a)² - b²/4a² + c/a] = a[(x+b/2a)² - (4ac-b²)/4a²]

If you put this equal to 0 then you can go on to derive the quadratic formula

Thank you kindly.
Reply 43
just to expand on what bezza said (only read it if you're curious....there's no need for you to know it for gcse):

ax² + bx + c = 0

a[x² + (b/a)x + (c/a)] = 0

(x + b/2a)² - (b²/4a²) + (c/a) = 0

(x + b/2a)² = (b²/4a²) - (c/a)

(x + b/2a)² = (b²-4ac) / 4a²

x + b/2a = ±√(b²-4ac) / 2a

x = -(b/2a) ±√(b²-4ac) / 2a

x = [-b±√(b²-4ac)] / 2a
Reply 44
samdavyson
Ok.

Is that true? Does no one give you rep?

well yes nobody gives it me! maybe that my contributions are worthless!
Reply 45
gemma.....
well yes nobody gives it me! maybe that my contributions are worthless!

don't worry....keep contributing!
incidentally, i didn't get any rep for the first 10 months i was on here! now i've received it 7 times in the last two months (i realise this isn't much, but compared to no rep in 10 months!!!)
Reply 46
mockel
don't worry....keep contributing!
incidentally, i didn't get any rep for the first 10 months i was on here! now i've received it 7 times in the last two months (i realise this isn't much, but compared to no rep in 10 months!!!)

HaHa - well i did have a look and i did get some rep today without knowing - but seriously it doesn't matter, it owuld if i had been on here for ten months tho!
Reply 47
samdavyson
Could you run over that?

Is it just:

ax² + bx + c = 0

a(x + ½bx)² ... in fact I have no idea. Please enlighten.

ax² + bx + c = 0 --- divide everything by a to 'clean up' the
+ (b/a)x + (c/a) = 0 --- first stange of completing the square (note 4ac/4a² = c/a)
(x + (b/2a))² - (b²/4a²) + (4ac/4a²) = 0 --- neaten up a bit
(x + (b/2a))² - ((b² - 4ac)/4a²) = 0 --- take the negative across and square root both sides
x + (b/2a) = (±√(b² - 4ac))/2a --- take (b/2a) from both sides, finishing with
x = (-b±√(b² - 4ac))/2a

et voila!
Reply 48
gemma.....
oh, i see..umm but wasn't that orignial post just an example of Ax where the letter is the number? as in C squared = A squared, but the letter isn't a letter it represents a number?

Ignore me i don't understand lol

A quadratic equation has the formula:

ax² + bx + c = 0

If we say there is a curve:
y = ax² + bx + c

Then we are describing how x and y are linked, and this can be plotted on a graph. For any particular curve, a, b, and c are constants - they do not change. They define the curve. For example, if you changed a from 2 to 4, you would have a steeper curve, because y is more 'sensetive' to changes in x.

When y = 0, the equations y = ax² + bx + c and ax² + bx + c = 0 mean the same thing. When y = 0, also, this line describes a horizontal line - the x-axis. So by putting y equal to zero we can find the x values of the curve where it crosses this axis.

For example,

4x² + 2x + 3 = 0 ------ (a=4, b=2, c=3)
- 2x + 7 = 0 ------- (a=1, b=-2, c=3)
9x² - 4 = 0 ----------- (a=9, b=0, c=-4)

To solve the last one as an example, we have to factorise by putting into brackets:

9x² - 4 = (3x + 2)(3x - 2) ------- (try multiplying out and checking this)

if we know that:

9x² - 4 = 0,
(3x + 2)(3x - 2) = 0,

Now since these two multiply to make zero, one of them must be zero. So we put each of the brackets equal to zero to find both solutions for x:

3x + 2 = 0
3x = -2
x = -2/3

3x - 2 = 0
3x = 2
x = 2/3

Latest